Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike bag recommendations
  • andyuk86
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m Looking to get a bike bag to transport my DH bike to Canada and around multiple locations in Canada. I’m hoping to get something that is easy to carry and provides a fair amount of protection. I’ve been told to get an Evoc bag but was wondering if anyone has used any cheaper bags for similar sized bikes or if I just need to suck it up and fork out.

Any help would be great!
    Andy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sat in yet another hotel room with my Evoc in a corner, it’s done the Aus-UK twice in the last 12 months, been hauled round the UK, NZ, Aus and it’s really easy to move and haul, trail bike certainly goes in with just the wheels off by poking the bars out of the double zips. I’ll be dragging it round Utah next month…

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I have used one of the bags that Decathlon do. They are unpadded, but what I did was stuck a couple of sheets of 50mm sound insulating foam down the sides – bike got back here without a scratch. Worked out at around £50-60 all in.

tom.nash

Evoc. Evoc. Evoc.

poonprice
    Free Member

+1 for Evoc

I’ve also done two Aus to UK and back trips this year and have found the Evoc bag to be great. With a 30kg allowance I can put bike, helmet, 5ten’s, camelback and all the usual other bits of kits along with some clothes in the bike bag and put another 7kgs of clothes in hand luggage.

Putting as much weight at the wheelend and dragging the bag by the thick bottom handle makes it dead easy to move around with.

andyuk86
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I was thinking about padding out a cheaper bag but might just get an Evoc, seeing as I’ll be moving around a lot and have multiple other trips planned next year.

Lester
    Free Member

this is from planet x, i have one £70.00
    im sending my evoc back

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BNSUN/get-some-sun—bike-bag-bundle

its well padded and comes with a tool box and pair of sun glasses

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the planet X one where are the wheels?
    If you are in and out of places the wheels are near the top of the list. As for padding not that sure what the real benefit is, structural strength to avoid crush/squash/drop damage is more important to me. Of course the planet X is cheap…

Lester
    Free Member

the wheels go inside with a hardish plate against the wheel centre on both sides of the internal wheel bag
    ive got this and the evoc, this is £170 cheaper roughly
    There are also better bags than the evoc at a higher price, it only matters if They do the job, it has a fair amount of padding, and you can add more with your body armour and bubble wrap if you like.

ironic, trying to protect a bike bag against other bikes on top and being handled poorly, while we are on our way to down hill and alps trails, to hurtle down oblivious to what happens to our bikes 🙂
    for the record i just used an old bike box when i went to chamonix in the summer, that worked well as well, none of us had evocs and all our bikes were ok

andyuk86
    Free Member

The lack of wheels does put me off. I’m going to be doing a lot of walking to and from airports.

Lester
    Free Member

oh oops, those wheels, doh, what a burk
    trolley in the airport and over the shoulder to the chalet/hotel or drag. the evoc isnt that easy to pull without it falling over sometimes.
    but i take your point

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep it was the wheels on the outside that I was referring to, I’ve used one of those and it was a bit rubbish in my opinion.
    What I’m protecting my bike from is being bundled in and out of cars, up and down stairs, in and out of hotel rooms. It bounces around and it protects the drop outs, mech and the rest, it packs in about 10-15 mins and as I don’t carry much body armour round especially when flying with the XC bike I’d rather that bag does the job. Airline handlers seem to carry things like the evoc better as it’s harder to lift it badly.

It’s been on 40+ planes in the last 2 years, a bit scuffed but otherwise fine.

MikeWW
    Free Member

EVOC has been used 6/7 times in last 12 months and is great. Very little dis assembly, good internal velcro strapping and light.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

EVOC has done the trick a few times now.

Used a Alan box once but it’s awfully cumbersome.

Almost pulled the trigger on the new Dakine Bike Bag I like the fact that it was upright Dakine

skellnonch
    Free Member

Evoc all day long, great protection & minimal assembly time

noahhowes
    Free Member

I’ve got that Dakine bag. It’s really nicely made. The wheel bags are solid and have protection for the rotors (inc 200mm), there’s covers for forks and handlebars so they don’t rub and another one for your rear triangle (without mech) which has an integrated pedal pocket. The wheels on it are nice and big and it’s easy to move about.

Seems to feel solid when packed with the addition of a couple of bits of lagging as I’m a little paranoid. Not yet used, I’ll report bag in a week as we’re off to Madeira.

superfli
    Free Member

I have a PlanetX bag with wheels on outside for carting it around.
    My mates have Evoc

Mine was lighter (4.5kg v 8kg) and a lot cheaper.
    Protection in mine was fine. It also has a lot of pockets for tools/pedals etc. + wheel bags inside.
    However, the wheels on outside of the bag are too narrow/not wide enough apart to allow easy pull of the bag. Also the bag isnt stiff enough, so it can bend over, meaning the bag can topple easily. The Evoc wins the moving around by a mile. Evoc wheels are much larger, wider spaced and bag is stiffer.

If you are only doing the odd trip/once a year thing, then either hire an Evoc bag or pay for a cheap PlanetX etc bag.
    If you are regular traveller, then Evoc

theflatboy
    Free Member

Slight diversion, I just got an Evoc to take the roadie to Melbourne over Christmas. Any of you guys got good packing tips for them – do you remove bars and leave stem in place, or remove stem and bars as one unit and strap in? Any pointers welcome. 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

I leave my stem in place, or can turn 90deg if it helps fit. Cable tie bars to frame with pipe lagging to protect. But I’ve only done flights a few times, so prob better people to help you 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Normally..
    Road bike get the adapter for the fork, bars off, pedals off and might need seat down.

Make sure wheels are clean and the cleanest part is next to the zip close point.

Works fine, don’t put it on the trolley out of baggage collection as sideways it doesn’t go through route to the quarantine checks that way round.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The top tube protector has straps to attach the bars too and the road bike adaptor keeps the forks protected.

Just follow the instructions

tom.nash

skellnonch – Member
    Evoc all day long, great protection & minimal assembly time

Perfect precis 😀

andyuk86
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice all. I think the amount of moving around with the bike I’m going to be doing in the next year warrants something that is easy to transport and fairly quick for me to pack down my bike into. If anyone is selling an Evoc bike bag….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike bag recommendations’ is closed to new replies.