Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bike bag recommendations
  • squishy
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a bike bag so my car doesnt get so dirty any more. Main requirements are:

a) fits bike with wheels removed (but I dont want to have to remove seat post or crud guard). I have an 18" hardtail.

b) waterproof so when the bike is covered in mud and completely soaking I can chuck it in the bag and in the car and not worry about muddy water getting into the car.

I dont intend to use it to take the bike on the plane etc…

Any recommendations?

I just need a human bag for me then I suppose 🙂

stumpy01

Something for the car – you'll be wanting something that opens all the way round 3 edges, rather than just the top & a bit of the sides like most bags….

I was gonna recommend the Brand-X bag I've got, but it would be a real pain, as it doesn't open far enough.
    SOmeone a while ago posted up a boot liner that was quite extensive & fully waterproof, that would probably be a better bet. Alternatively, just buy a large tarpaulin/groundhseet & use that. They are waterproof & you can lay the bike on them & then wrap the excess around it.

uplink
    Free Member

For the car I just use a very large heavy duty polythene bag

simon_g

Large tarp does the job for me. Something I've been meaning to do is fit some eyelets and velcro straps so it attaches to the headrests and some points down the side to stay in place. Then you could even sew up some edges so it keeps it's shape and you have a lip by the hatch so water doesn't just run off. I've seen similar custom-made ones but they were over £100 – can't be that hard to DIY one.

andyfb78
    Free Member

SJS cycles in bridgewater do a £30 bag which is perfect for this.
    effectively an unpadded bike bag.
    we used two for our recent trip on the rain to france, and they were spot on, fold up reasonable small and light enough to carry on the bike.

squishy
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. Yeah I have been using a tarp in my estate for ages and it does the job BUT the car ends up covered in dirty dust everywhere which I guess originates from the bike. I wanted something completely zipped up to avoid that when I get my new car…

I found a couple on Merlin:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-bags/ambrosio-bike-bag.html

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-bags/avenir-padded-bike-bag.html

They look interesting – the red one has a full zip I think…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bike bag recommendations’ is closed to new replies.