Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike advice – Summer season and UK home
  • broken-cuboid
    Free Member

Bit of a stab in the dark but here goes.

Recently been offered a job to be a bike mechanic out in Morzine for this summer season. This is a great excuse to get a long needed bike upgrade. I want something I can tackle some of the local DH tracks but also be at home on the all mountain routes. Importantly I don’t want it to be over kill when I come home to the UK but don’t want to find myself wanting more when I’m out there.

At the moment I’m looking down the 650b 160mm all mountain route.
    Seen a second hand Nukeproof Mega TR with 160mm fork which I am interested in – but will this be too small?
    Should I stretch to the AM?

Any other considerations/general advice?
    Thanks in advance!

grobin13
    Free Member

My mate had the mega am. While it was a great bike, it rattled itself to destruction when we were in Morzine last year. It’s also made of pig iron so, while a great bike, he found it a slog back in the UK.

Have you considered a YT Capra. I have just changed over from a SC Bronson to one and love it (even though it is a bit small for me). They have just released the Alu version which has unbeatable specs and prices. Brilliant pointed downhill and climb almost aswell as my Bronson and hardtail.

broken-cuboid
    Free Member

YT Capra was my first thought, but YT can’t make them as quick as the UK is buying them. Capra AL1s aren’t available till 12/08 and AL2 till 10/06.
    On the new side, I really like the look of the new Commencal Meta AM V4s if anyone has experience with them?

grobin13
    Free Member

I was lucky then. Placed my order the evening they released the 2015 bikes. Got it a few weeks later. Wouldn’t have bothered if I had to wait until August. Far to impatient. Just been reading a review about the Meta in what mountain bike – gets fantastic review…

broken-cuboid
    Free Member

It all looks very good!
    Then I’m still thinking I would get better value second-hand.
    That age old question, better value second hand or lower spec new bike??

chrismac

Spesh Enduro get my vote. Took one out for a ride at the weekend deliberatly picking a route that would show its weaknesses. Long draggy climbs, more of an XC route. I was suprised how well it rode. It was superb on the downs as you would expect.

Alex

Depending on if you tied to 650B and frame size, I have a lovely and not much used Mega AM from 2014 with Bos Deville’s (170mm) up front. Zee brakes, 150mm dropper, Crossmax SX wheels, Zee/XT drivetrain. Did some trail riding in the Spring here (FoD mainly) and it’s fine, did a week in Morzine and it was amazing, not been ridden much since as I bought something else.

Email in profile if it’s of interest. It’s going to be a heck of a deal for someone as I don’t want to split it, and I’m keen to move it on.

Apologies if this is spam, but anyway depending where you ride at home, I loved the mega, it was just a fun bike to ride. Mine is around 32lbs with 2.5 tyres on it.

Stoner
    Free Member

ooo, did you take the role at Chalet Montana?

Good plan if you did! You’ll have a great summer.

broken-cuboid
    Free Member

Spesh Enduro get my vote

Definitely been a consideration but still looking for a 650b and will struggle to get one in my budget.

Alex – check your email.

did you take the role at Chalet Montana?

The job is with Alpine Elements, so a fair amount of work to go with the play but still can’t wait!

julez
    Free Member

Had a Meta V4 in XL Race versionb 1×11 RCT3, Debonair. (6’2″ fits a treat).

Spent a few hours on the V4. Thoughts from a ham fisted rider:

Weight: Not heavy. 28.4lbs with nano flats running tubeless.

Service: Eric and Gregory at commencal were/are responsive. 5 days to arrive. Tracking info a bit crap but came well packaged. All the rockshox service kits were included (bleed kit for stealth and tokens for pike). 5 year frame warranty BUT not on the seat stays – weird I know. 2 years on these.

Frame has big welds, big tubes and a solid feel.

Climbing: Great. Fast. Feels light. No lifting on front end, shuffle bum forward a little on saddle at times thats all. I can get back ache with some bikes, not this one yet.

Going down. Fast. More agile than the very long wheelbase would suggest. (long front centre shorter chain stays). Rolls over steeps well due to slacker head angle. Carves well builds speed pretty well. Dont notice any real flex but I dont hammer like mad.

I was sceptical about the speed of 650B but strava shows I’m a little faster all round on this than the other bikes (relative to me not others!) Mind the 29er is very fast on flowing trials as momentum is superb.

Smooth feel to the suspension (shock may be run on bearings no bushings?), haven’t found the bottom yet even though its single pivot doesn’t suffer too badly from pedal kickback. Dont do big jumps just smaller stuff en-route down.

Stem was a little long at 60mm so bunged one I had at 50mm and seems just right.

In house alpha wheels blow up tubeless a treat, seems pretty stiff an light (Novatec Diablos)

Verdict? A great all mountain bike (light enough), climbs very well indeed and handles the steeps just as well. When the pace gets up stays on track due to length and head angle. One magazine put me off stating heels clipped the chain stays due to brake being mounted inside. I have no issue in this respect, with size 11 feet. I’m neutral on the pedals though. If you are heels in they may clip. Bike comes with a taping up sheet so you can cover potential strike areas.

Seems to be on the money to me..

Hope this helps a little.

Jules

fr0sty125
    Free Member

2015 uncle Jumbo?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike advice – Summer season and UK home’ is closed to new replies.