Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bigger rotors – worth it?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Running Avid Elixirs, 160mm rotors front and back. Suited me fine, but I'm going to the Alps at the end of the month, and I was wondering if it was worth going bigger.

Do they actually give better braking? Or is it just better heat dissipation?

wwaswas

I recently went to 185mm up front – makes a real difference, not only less fade on those long descents I mince my way down but better modulation too.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

A huge difference yes. I only run 160mm on xc race bikes, 180mm on the front of 'trail' bikes, and 200mm on anything serious.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Defo 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

ADH +1.

Essential for "real" riders IME.

RealMan
    Free Member

I am 55kg.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no real difference IMHO between them but I also have different brakes on my bikes as well as discs so may be wrong. All my brakes can lock my wheels therefore it is all in modulation control surely you sure you are 55 kg? Are you very small? less than 9 stone you sure?

alexxx
    Free Member

I would suggest 180s for you mate, if you were heavier then 200's but you'll be fine 🙂 ive been loads of times all over the place, the fact your asking this means you probably wont be gunning the downhills, so you'll be fine on 180s

Admiralable
    Free Member

I had 160 front and rear on my scale. My new trance has 160 rear 185 front. It feels more spongy and I'm not overly fussed about it. It may just be old pads on new rotor though 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

180's will probbo be fine then, I weigh 25kg more than you …

RealMan
    Free Member

Yes Junkyard, very sure. 8.5 stone (ish)

Would it be worth going 180 both front and rear, or just front?

clubber
    Free Member

I manage fine on 180/160 and I'm 16.5 stone so pretty much two of you 🙂 I'm sure that it'll be fine for you even on the Alps 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

front takes way more than 50% of the braking force possibly 75% [can you tell how knowledgabl;e I am on this!]
    Most people have a larger front one than rear one.
    Could you not just let go of the bike and flutter away in the breeze if it is too fast 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

180 on the front and rear will give you more stopping power, with reduced finger cramp, reduced pad wear and reduced boil if you drag the back a loton descents you don't know (like me). Avids are unlikely to overheat, but if you're going to change rotors, may as well go the whole hog.

cynic-al
    Free Member

203 FTW, Why **** about?

The faster you can stop the faster you can go. I outbrake all my mates and overtake just before a long skid into the corner.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

lol, 50ft front wheel skids FTW. Especially if you use 999mm bars to clothesline everyone too.

clubber
    Free Member

Sub 1m bars? You XC Jeyboy nobe!

cynic-al
    Free Member

0% ironing ADH – if you could keep up you'd know that's how I ride/roll.

And everyone knows front wheel lock is the best way to control speed. Wish I could master it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

TBF they are fitted to my minus 3 metre stem.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a skid scrubs almost no speed IMHE I Once went down a mountain with only a back brake try it very scary

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

al – I would ride with you, but you seem to have problems navigating your clamped out heap of sh^t to a check-in desk.

cynic-al
    Free Member

clamped out heap of sh^t

WTF?

RealMan
    Free Member

TBF they are fitted to my minus 3 metre stem.

Yeah but its pointless unless you've cut away your frame enough so you can get the saddle low enough. Like on the BB.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I've actually fitted a scoop to the front, so I can sit below the ground level when I'm riding.

Corners likes its in a trough.

njee20
    Free Member

160s are more than enough. MTFU.

steve_b77
    Free Member

203's front and back 800mm bars, -50m stem and a minimum of 180mm travel is a must for all alpine duites, word 😆

mk1fan
    Free Member

I ran 185mm front and 160mm rear last week in Morzine and had no issues with brake fade, modulation or lack of power. I'm 16-stone in my kit.

That said, I may take a 185mm rotor to try on the rear next year.

br
    Free Member

At 55kg's you could probably run a 140mm on the back 😉

With no problems.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

I run 160s front and back and there is plenty of power to stop me. Are you guys that are running anything bigger seriously trying to tell me that you are riding harder and faster than the top xc pros. I dont really think that this is the case.

Edric64
    Free Member

160s front and rear stop my 100+kg fine

retro83
    Free Member

i'm running 180/160. Reduced arm pump compared to 160/160. I wouldn't hesitate to go 200/180 if i was going to do some decent length downhills

ton

i want some 240mm rotors………….. 😀

tamworthcrowd
    Free Member

i've been across the alps a couple of times with 185 front/160 rear avids and it was totally fine – that's with 10kgs more than you and a heavy backpack, RealMan.

I wouldn't upgrade just for this one trip, even if the brake got a bit warm at some point, just stop for a minute and enjoy the scenery and take some photos. People have been riding the alps for years with crap cantilever and V brakes and managed, no reason to think 160mm discs aren't up to the job.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Realman – seeing as you weigh about 5 grammes, I reckon 160s should be perfectly sufficient 😉

Garry_Lager

I've just noticed my rear hub is bolloxed, and was wondering if it was down to the rotor size – pyar massive old school Hayes thing.

Two cracked disk boltholes plus a third not in the photo.

It's had a good run, mind – several years. I've not had that happen before with smaller rotors though.

Course it could be down to something else.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Could be down to your mincing riding style.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

jimmyshand – Member
    I run 160s front and back and there is plenty of power to stop me. Are you guys that are running anything bigger seriously trying to tell me that you are riding harder and faster than the top xc pros

no jimmy, it'll tend to be that fold drag brakes alot more than xc pro's. which is why better riders can get away with a smaller brake without worry of overheating or fade.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Big rotors for Big descents.

Unless you're going to the Alps or similar, don't bother.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

160s max, even 160/140.

It's not about hard breaking / hard excelerating – smooth is fast. I just need to learn how to do it 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bigger rotors – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.