Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Big volume CX tyres
  • soulbrother99
    Free Member

Hi all,
    With winter fast approaching, I’m eager to get my CX bike more comfy off road, To do this im thinking of putting the biggest volume tyres i can get on me bike. I have a pinnacle arkose 2 so I dont think clearance will be an issue what are the biggest volume 700c tyres you can get?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a repeat thread

johnnystorm

On one Gravel roads in 40c are good.

matts
    Free Member

I think you might get a 1.75 Smart Sam in an Arkose.

Conti 42mm X Kings are another option, as well as 40mm WTB Nanos.

I have 41mm Surly Knards in my Tripster, which are pretty good.

cinnamon_girl

Your problem will be finding something that has some sort of puncture resistance.

In an ideal world I’d like a Nobby Nic triple compound.

jameso

The 2015 Arkose 2 has TLR rims, add some tape and sealant to some Nano 40 TCS? The std tyres do seal, the TCS version is better though and a brilliant year-round tyre. Much more than a genuine 40c won’t leave a lot of fork clearance. Contis come up small, 42Cs are more like a 37-38.

trademark
    Free Member

Not sure if these are classed as ‘Winter’ tyres but was looking at them for my CX bike 700 x 45c

steveoath
    Free Member

Just got a set of knards for mine. Fitting them for a test this weekend with jnr on back. Will report back.

matts
    Free Member

Another big volume option – if you can find some in the UK – is the Panaracer Firecross 45mm

Nipper99
    Free Member

I went back from bigger volume (smart sams, land cruisers etc) to 33 n nics and probably wouldn’t go back bigger than 35s. Ride a variety of terrain here in s wales and tbh the n nics are pretty much the perfect year round all round tire.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I’m just changing the 40c WTB Nanos that came on my Arkose for some 35c WTB Cross Boss tyres. Partly because I want to see how it feels with a skinnier tyre, partly because I want “proper” tubeless ready tyres to set up tubeless (the Nanos it came with aren’t the TCS ones). If I switch back to Nanos I’ll order the TCS version.

I want to mix road and off road sections so tyre choice is always going to be something of a compromise, especially when things get a bit wetter.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Big volume CX tyres’ is closed to new replies.