Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Big Volume Average-to-Mud Tyre?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For the ridid bike following on from the other thread?

Quite tempted by another set of Eskars as they’ve been good on the Pitch if a little overkill.

Being rigid I’m ruleing out anything less than 2.2 on comfort/controll/pinch flat grounds.

MrTall
    Free Member

I’ve just put a Spesh Purgatory on the front of my 29er SS. 2.2″ and fairly chunky tread. The blurb on the tyre packet said it is for softer conditions to mud. I’m trying it as i wanted a chunkier front ‘mud’ tyre than the Mud X’s i usually run in winter which always come up narrow.

Cheap too at £23.

The reviewer on 29inches said he preferred the Purgatory to the Eskar if that helps.?

singlespeedstu

Big volume mud tryre?

Nate,Nate,Nate. by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

3.8 Nate by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ive just orderd some Bonty XR4s…

Look pretty spot on IMHO.

Gone for the wire version as they are £12 an end, and hopefully they wont be needed on the SS for that long

Obviously, its now gonna be a gloopy quagmire from here on in… 🙄

votchy
    Free Member

XR4’s are pish in the mud, only tyre that I have spun 180 degrees while riding a flat straight section of singletrack, they are big volume though

Teetosugars
    Free Member

XR4’s are pish in the mud

Really?

I was told they where not bad?

Oh well, not exactly a major cost loss.. 😳

Oh,and it gotta be better than the Ardents I currently run which are great in the dry, but horrible in the mud…

Cheezpleez

I’ve run a Conti Speed King 2.3 on the front of my rigid SS for the past three years in the Surrey hills. Very light and doesn’t appear to have much tread but what’s there works surprisingly well in all conditions from dust to mud. Reasonable volume too.

Gotama
    Free Member

Conti Baron Black Chilli

bowglie

If you’re feeling flush, you could try a Conti Rubber Queen (black chili compound is worth the extra). Quite a ‘toothy’ tyre with relatively widely spaced lugs, 2.2″ width is also quite tall, so plenty of cushioning. IME, they’re a good compromise between general purpose and mud tyre.

adeward
    Free Member

I love conti mountain king 2.4 I want another 29er set but everyone seems to be out of stock

rucknar
    Free Member

I have used XR4’s and just got another pair for my hardtail. Love them, there a great tyre you, run best i find at about 30-35PSI and they don’t roll that slowly even when running the lower pressure!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Michelin Wildgrip’r 2.25s are fat, don’t cost too much and work in non-clay type mud. 26er only.

Conti Rubber Queen 2.4s are about the same size and look like they’d grip better but roll worse. They start at £14.99 for the wire beaded versions.

pistola
    Free Member

XR4s are a great all round tyre. I have them as front tyres on two bikes and for year-round use they are fine but I wouldn’t recommend them for particularly muddy conditions.

rucknar
    Free Member

No, but something like Mud-X would be your best bet for muddy but there very slim in comparison! I don’t know of a high volume wet mud tyre…

epicyclo

Anything less than the Nate is a skinny low-volume singletrack grooving device. 🙂

djflexure

Rubber queen is not great in mud. Do not clear that well imo – very good at other things though.
    Conti have the Baron for mud/ wet trails – have not tried it, expensive.

Schwalbe Muddy Marys 2.3 – just put these on for a second time. Slow rolling but look like they have to grip well. Have not done too much with them to date but they do seem to clear mud. Larger volume would presumably suit a rigid. They do a 2.5 if you want a pseudo fatbike but it looked too big to me.

Mud x is good for a skinny that rolls fine, grips ok and clears well.

sofaking
    Free Member

[/url] DOUBLE NATE COMBO by SoFaKiNg., on Flickr[/img]
    kept me rolling and smiling on Sat

rucknar
    Free Member

Don’t tyres like that have a huge rolling resistance and weigh a ton though?

sofaking
    Free Member

Don’t tyres like that have a huge rolling resistance and weigh a ton though?

there is increased rolling resistance , but not as much as you would think. they weigh quite a bit, but both of the above are offset by my grin when riding with them

I rode 35 miles on saturday with quite a few miles of thick mud with no problem

Northwind

Rubber queen is surprisingly bad in mud, clogs very quickly but doesn’t really grip that well even when it’s clear- pretty much a dry/damp tyre. Baron looks like it should be what you want but I’ve not tried one.

Wasn’t all that convinced by my Eskars in the slop, they don’t seem big enough to float or narrow enough to cut, just an awkward halfway.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Big Volume Average-to-Mud Tyre?’ is closed to new replies.