• This topic has 34 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Stu.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Big Scotch Mountains?
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Anyone know of any shit off good big mountain rides in Scotcheggland?

Done Ben Lomond, Ben Nevis, Carn Ban Mor this year (plus Snowdon and Helvellyn) and would like similar challenges. We're heading to Skye in October. In an ideal world they'd be within 3 hours of St Andrews too (is there owt good in't Cairngorms?)

AJ
    Free Member

Aye mail me and i'll put some ideas your way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Falls of Avon loop. Ben a Bhuird. Glen Etive loop.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do the mt keen , fungle road loop from tarf side …. taking in a munro , a lovely techy dh down the north side , fire road ride down to aboyne. then climb out the tech climb from the guard climb the north side of the fungle and then unleash hell on the south side.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Great, sounds good.

As a guideline, let's say we like rocky and tech over singletrack and flowy.

Al- is that this?
    http://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/avon.html

inbred853

I thought Scotch was a drink or am I mistaken? Big Scottish Mountains/Big Scotch Mountains.
    Big Engeeeeeeeeeeeeeerland Mountains perhaps 😈

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

853- I have lived here long enough now to ken (see…) what winds you buggers up 😉

inbred853

Damn

ton

1 month and counting, and i will be riding loads of big scottish mountains. 8)

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Surely you mean flattening 😯

grumm
    Free Member

I'm thinking of having a stab at Ben Lomond later this week (though I'm probably not really fit enough yet). Any pics/advice?

b1galus
    Free Member

stop by mine and i'll let you have all my books on big scottish hills

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Ben Lomond- go straight up the thing then straight back down it!

Al- may well do if I get chance. You about on Friday?

grumm
    Free Member

That looks ace, thanks. I take it that's the main path that goes up from Rowardennan not the Ptarmigan Ridge path?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Aye, that's the main path.

Those are some of the duller bits to be honest, there's some excellent flat out bits that I was enjoying too much to stop on.

b1galus
    Free Member

aye i'll be around . nice pics but who's the poof on the pink bike lol

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

That was a really cruel thing to do him, you know that?

What's this about his Landrover being impounded?

b1galus
    Free Member

yes i do lol but it made me laugh . aye but he got it back

sherry
    Free Member

Where about is the first pic taken I don't recognise that? I have walked it plenty and rode it twice.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Right at the top- just after the grass and before that little bit you have to clamber through with your bike.

grumm
    Free Member

Roughly how long to get up then back down Ben Lomond? And how much is rideable on the way up?

Was just about to start a thread about this you see 🙂

NickScots
    Free Member

I have done on hardtail –

Carn a Chlamain – good easy climb but just rough 4×4 descent.

Cairngorm – good, easy push up, came down steps and rocks on Fiacaill, drop saddle right down, grt trail back to Loch Morlich.

Ben Bhuird (Voord) – good more natural feel.

On A full susser

Ben Avon – bootiful long climb for 7 miles. Best of all above. Did it August, no one else there.

Nick

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's dead quick- about 3 hours taking it easy.

Nick- cheers. Sounds like Avon is a must do.

sherry
    Free Member

Forgot to say I was up at Torridon about six weeks ago and there is plenty of bike mountains up there. OS map 25 Glen Carron & Glen Affric and take your pick. The Tourist info wasn't to keen to point out good routes because I was biking. But thanks to to the chap from Madchester for helping to point out a few good rides. He is a member of this forum as well.

NickScots
    Free Member

Ben Avon

Start at the carpark at Invecauld, toilets.

Easy sweeping fire road, don't miss the turning though, bit confusing mix of fire roads. Then follow valley up, very scenic, gradual climb slightly technical with ht.

Then hit the built wide singletrack. Weaves slightly uphill for miles. Then push ride up the techy singletrack to the torr summits.

Then roll home !

Nick

NickScots
    Free Member
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"The Tourist info wasn't to keen to point out good routes because I was biking"

That sucks

IA

Ditto the mt keen advice up there ^

Also good: Lochnagar.

NickScots
    Free Member

Lochnagar

I have walked it and thought it would be good to bike, after the push up Lochnagar, all rideable until Broad Cairn ?

Nick

BoardinBob

I always wonder if Goat Fell on Arran had been done/ could be done???

cynic-al
    Free Member

Great, sounds good.
    As a guideline, let's say we like rocky and tech over singletrack and flowy.

mine are all big days out in the wilds than about rider reviews of the trails. That link is not the route I know. Happy to share though.

sherry
    Free Member

Aye she knew she couldn't tell me not to ride them but didn't want to make it easy for me! Pretty much said that they didn't want massive influx of bikers on their trails eroding them as they have already got there hands full from walkers damaging them. There are signs asking mountain bikers not to use some of the trails. I did point out that I always adhere to the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. I did see some litter in the middle of nowhere that some lazy **** had blatantly left behind, I picked it up, you can guess who would get the blame for it even if it was most likely walkers.

sherry
    Free Member

IA, was it the torrist info @ Torridon? She was super keen to point out fire track roads etc but not the good singletrack stuff. Not that she wasn't friendly though!

IA

" after the push up Lochnagar"

It's all rideable except a few 100m about 3/4 of the way up. Hard work mind, hopping all those biig drainage ditches especially going up hill. The route we did is online somewhere… no idea where though. But i'll direct you to a mate's pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90396452@N00/sets/72157621992899363/

Sherry, not me with the tourist info…

Stu

Just seen this thread – Lochnagar maps here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lochnagar-ride-today-pics-to-follow

Other ride you shold try Luke is the Meall a' Bhuachaille ridge behind Badaguish/Loch Morlich if you've not done it – can then finish off on the SXC trails.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Big Scotch Mountains?’ is closed to new replies.