Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • BIG QUESTION – Best trail/XC bike
  • mph16
    Free Member

Looking for opinions on best trail or XC bike that can take the trails fast.

factors:
    80kg rider
    6ft
    Attacks hard, but rides light and picks great lines, rather than bashing over everything.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Any of these?

Santa Cruz Blur Carbon xc
    Scott Genius 10
    Yeti ASR SL or 575
    Ibis, Lapierre, etc…

radoggair
    Free Member

No,…….. turner 5 spot

* awaits everyone else to come on and name their own bike*

Jamie
    Free Member

Attacks hard

What is that in Gnar?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carbon337
    Free Member

Five…lol

robhughes
    Free Member

I think that,s 12 gnar.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Having just demo'd an Orange Five and a P7 I would hand over my cash for either of these bikes. The Five was a tad small for me but the P7 felt pretty spot on and the 140 Fox vanila lets you stuff the front into turns and the back end skips around doing its own thing.

thomthumb
    Free Member

why no hardtails on that list?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

giant anthem X??? won bike of the year 2009 and gets rated very highly?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Anthem X, or if you want a bit more travel, Trance X

mph16
    Free Member

I have a Pace RC200 team. Its been awesome over the years.

Its been down everything except stuff over a metre drop-offs and conquered everything at speed.

However I went to Afan last year and while I flew down faster than the full sus guys I was beaten up after doing 3 days of everything- Skyline, etc.

So looking to go full sus but something with finesse, and can climb like a beast, as well as great singletrack and rock garden.

thats why no hardtails.

Cheers

vrapan
    Free Member

Anthem X. If you want it for XC mainly fit light 100mm forks otherwise some quality 100-120mm. Makes it a very good trail bike at 120mm 🙂

mph16
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of Giant fans out there.

I thought the Yeti and Santa Cruz carbon would dominate!

How about Scott Genius?

TomB

Loving my new Chumba VF2, but everyone will name their own bike, especially if it's new!

flyingfox
    Free Member

whyte of any sort?

flyingfox
    Free Member

climb like a beast? pronghorn trail.

oxnop
    Free Member

Mojo sl 😀 – mines built burly(ish) 150mm forks/ex1750 wheels/tech m4's and still weighs less than 27lbs & has handled all what I've thrown at it over past mth- gisburn DH / 5ft drops to flat / 30 mile all day rides etc.

BTW you'll get loads of people telling you what ever they have will be best. Like me

mafiafish
    Free Member

I quite like trek EXs, extremely versatile my girlfriend uses her ex7 for crosscountry races and I borrowed it for a week in Morzine/ Les Gets and it only felt out of its depth on large drops. Good value too. Would love to try a Roscoe though.

mph16
    Free Member

Its great I love hearing all the opinions.

We all know there isn’’t one supreme bike, but plenty of great ones. And depending on whose hands its in too, it can change dramatically.

onewheelgood

Seems to be a lot of Giant fans out there.

I thought the Yeti and Santa Cruz carbon would dominate!

I've got an Anthem X1 and the guy I ride with has a Yeti ASR. Last year, the Anthem was nearly a grand cheaper for an equivalent spec, and the Yeti was better, but not quite a grand better. This year the Anthem is more expensive – and the Yeti is probably stronger (new rear end) if no longer quite as exotic.

The Anthem is more XC focused, a bit twitchier, the Yeti feels incredibly planted.Both are light, stiff and will really reward a rider who thinks about their lines.

It's a tough choice, but ultimately the fact that the Yeti's turquoise paint has anti-gravity properties just swings it.

mph16
    Free Member

Yeti has always called me. fast and planted.

ASR or 575?

I also have a soft spot for the Santa Cruz carbon, and views?

mph16
    Free Member

Lapierre anyone?

thefallguy
    Free Member

the best bike? its the one that you are personally lusting after most, no use buying a bike that is most reccomended on here if what you really fancy is a [insert fave bike name here]

therealhoops
    Free Member

+1 for the Chumba. If I didn't have the Nicolai I could be very tempted.

edit: TomB – your front hose is too long, otherwise 9/10

Wookster

I have a mojo love it always surprised at how good it is mate. Pic of it on here some where. great bike and is just the right side of focus or I'll make you pay fast!

How ever the best bike and still my favorite for mucking about on is the five love that bike!!!

jasonm945
    Free Member

I have had a Santa Cruz, and a Yeti, yet the only bike I have held on to is a 2006 Giant Trance, so I would say that the ultimate trail bike is the one you decide you like…
    …but the Anthem X with 120 mil forks would get my vote 😉

Jay

nuke

Trek EX8 or 9. I've tried a fair few bikes but my EX8 really is embarrassingly good…put a set of adjustable forks and it really is a very versatile all rounder.

jedi

kinda what im looking for for work. dunno what bike

FuzzyWuzzy

Zesty 914 if money's not an issue

theflatboy
    Free Member

ellsworth truth.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Appollo seem to make nice bikes and they are cheap at Halfords.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Attacks hard, but rides light and picks great lines, rather than bashing over everything.

Are you ****ing us?

spock
    Free Member

orange 5

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not one spesh mentioned!

sofatester
    Free Member

The bike or the rider? 🙄

Are you ****ing us?

Do you think he works for MBR? 😆

woody2000

If you're as good as you say you are, then any bike will do, shurely? 🙄

🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

My Nicolai Helius is the best for me, although I wouldn't mind trying a ASR5 or a VF2

glenncampbell

My old Blur was lovely on the trail – on rails in fact – but was a bit heavy though. If I had the money I'd go for the Blur Carbon or the Yeti – both amazing bikes but not cheap. What about the Scott Spark? Nice race \ marathon bike if you want the speed.

RepacK
    Free Member

Depends how you define a trail bike really doesnt it? I mean a lot of folk wouldnt consider any less than 140mm of travel whereas some would say you could ride 120mm or less. Since for me trail/xc bike would be about 100-120mm I would go for the SC Blur XC (yes I have one) & for anything AM I use a SC Blur LT (funny but I have one of those as well..)

joolsburger
    Free Member

Heckler or a 5 – proper classics.

tracknicko
    Free Member

giant trance. get a SH one for £250 or so.

is a five really 7.5 times better?

doubt it…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘BIG QUESTION – Best trail/XC bike’ is closed to new replies.