Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Big hydration packs and bladders
  • tron
    Free Member

I’m after a new hydration pack. Ideally I’d have room for a fleece & waterproof, some sarnies, spares and a pump. I also want a hydration bladder that doesn’t taste of plastic horror.

I’ve currently got an old Camelbak Lobo, which is fine if you only want to carry a pump, spares, phone and wallet, and maybe a squashed sandwich, but comes completely unstuck if you want to take off your jacket. And it gets clammy as there’s nothing to lift it off your back.

I used to have a big Vaude bag (30 + 5 litres I think), which eventually died. It was spot on in some respects – the back of the bag was curved, with a taut piece of mesh keeping it off your back, there were umpteen straps, and it was massive.

On the other hand there was much more room for the bladder to move about than in a Camelbak, which meant it invariably ended up in in a lump at the bottom.

I also want a new bladder. Every cheapy I’ve ever had has tasted horrible and plasticy, but whilst the Camelbak one I had didn’t taste too bad, I couldn’t be doing with the massive Camelbak Tax (TM) on the cleaning kits etc.

What’s the best route to go down? Buy a decent bag and buy a good bladder? Bite the bullet and go for a Camelbak and accept it’ll be expensive? Or buy a bag + bladder system from someone else? Is there a cheap way? These things seem seem to tripled in price since I last looked at them…

jedi

i use the dakine apex.

tron
    Free Member

To be honest, the Dakine looks good, but it’s probably at the upper end of my price range. I’ve had cars for £100, dropping nearly that much on a bag rankles a bit 😉

I’m getting tempted by the idea of the cheap Decathlon “adventure racing” packs and pairing it up with a Source bladder. Anyone had one?

grahamt1980

Dakine Apex for me too.
    Yeah expensive but very well designed and mine has now lasted 6 years and looks like lasting a whole lot longer.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have one of those ^^ and for £30 you can’t go wrong. My mate had one as well and he thinks that mine is possibly even better made than his was. Handy pockets for tools and snacks etc and a waterproof cover. I’ll change the bite valve for a better quality one at some point but I prefer the bladder to my old Platypus one.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what about “camelbak the don”

£50 at evans

tron
    Free Member

Bump for the daytime crowd. Any more suggestions?

stumpy01

If you like the Vaude bags, take a look at their latest ones.

I’ve got a Splash Air 20+5. It comes with the vented arched back & a sleeve in the main pocket for your bladder. It also has an adjustable back system to tailor it to your size & a waterproof cover that is easily removable.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/33336/Vaude-Splash-Air-20-5-Backpack.html?referrer=froogle1%3futm_source%3dgoogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid33336

Only thing is it doesn’t come with a bladder so by the time you have added one it will start to get pricey.

motorman
    Free Member

What’s wrong with using bottles, either on bike or in rucksack these days 🙄

rob-jackson
    Free Member

It’s hard to get a coat out of a bottle spout and nigh on impossible to get a multi tool through.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What’s wrong with using bottles, either on bike or in rucksack these days

Motorman, or a ride at the weekend:

“Hang on everyone, I just need to stop for a drink again” 😉

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve been using a North Face Megamouth pack for 5 years or more, was just admiring it at the weekend, its been battered and still going strong. Zero sign of wear and tear, just chuck it in the washing machine now and again, usually before it comes skiing. Don’t know if they still make them but plenty of room for spare clothes, food and spares and straps down good and small and takes a 3l bladder. Maybe my all time best riding purchase.

motorman
    Free Member

I’m anti-social & ride alone 7 days a week 😈 I can somehow find the time to stop, enjoy the view & rehydrate….life is not a race 😯
    Just sayin…. 😆

tron
    Free Member

I’m stumped.

£30 gets me a complete 30L Decathlon bag and bladder. The thing is, I know the Decathlon bladders are a touch plasticy and a faff to dry, because I’ve just ruined one…

£50 gets me a Camelbak “the don” which is 17L and comes with a good antidote bladder.

The Decathlon looks less Radcore Disco Freeride! which is a good thing, and leaves me with £20 in my pocket. The Camelbak is a Camelbak, which in my experience means everything fits together very nicely. But the strap setup on the Decathlon looks much better for something that might have a decent amount of kit in it.

Anyone got either?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I had a good look at the decathlon one a couple of days back, apart from the bladder it looks great. Why not get the decathlon one and buy a new camelbak bladder? still under £50 in total.

It is better than a £50 camelbak offering imo but being a brand snob i went for a blowfish 😳

saxabar
    Free Member

Hold on for a few days as Camelbaks come up regularly in the classifieds (or look on other biking forums) and buy a freezer to keep the bladder in when not in use.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I use a Kriega R20 with their 3 litre hydrapak in it. Very comfy, very well made. Granted it might be pushing your budget.

cb

Somewhere, possibly Merlin had CB HAWGs for 59 notes recently.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

evans have the hawg 20 for 60 quid

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve the 3l lezyne one, tool pouch ont he outside looks a bit funky but works well. Mesh bit hold daineese knee/shin pads no problems, backpakc part holds waterproof, sarnies, 3l bladder, firstaid kit etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Big hydration packs and bladders’ is closed to new replies.