Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Big days out in the Lakes?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Does anyone have any recommendations for big days out in the Lakes?

Looking for something with big country views, some nice flowy singletrack but not super technical (thinking something Kirroughtree Black route level as a maximum for techy stuff).

Cheers.

Trekster

Kentmere from Wheelbase, Stavely. Give the e bell and they can post a map to you for a few££s. Add on the Garburn pass and over to Ambleside for an even bigger ride 😆

Grizdale and surrounding bridleways

Whinlatter

Borrowdale Bash

The ride I did at the weekend;
    Keswick along the old railway line to Threlkeld. Up to Blencartha and on to Skiddaw YHA. From the YHA to Mosedale. From Mosedale to Calebreck farm and over the Caldbeck Fells to Longlands farm(?), Branthwaite and thn up Whitewater Dash at Peter House. Then back to the YHA and down Glenderterra, Latrigg back to Keswick.

Trekster

just posted some other ideas on the other thread!!

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Borrowdale Bash, Skiddaw Loop and Whinlatter. All have good views depending on the weather.

grum
    Free Member

Not that much singletrack in the Lakes unless you get cheeky.

The loop that goes around Coniston is pretty sweet.

bigpete2112
    Free Member

Grizedale is pretty good…a good view of lake coniston from the top.
    Gets good reviews

ir_bandito
    Free Member

In the north lakes:

Trekster’s Skiddaw loop is a good one. Singletrack down to Mosedale is lovely, in a “gentle gradient have to work quite hard” kind of way. climb up Dash Falls is a classic, and round to Latrigg is brilliant.

Borrowdale Bash, but start very early to do the cheeky path along the top of Walla Crags to Ashness Bridge.

P5250014 by ir_bandito, on Flickr
    That’s not me. Oh no. 😉

Ullswater and High Street is another classic loop.

South Lakes, ask at Wheelbase, and likewise, Western Lakes, ask at Biketreks in Ambleside. Parkamoor is a favourite of mine over that way.

lowey

Grizedale from Coniston by lowey.com, on Flickr

Coniston – Grizedale – Blawith – Duddon – Walna Scar by lowey.com, on Flickr

Or the route I did the other week which was brutal (not got a pic yet) but was Keswick, Threlkeld, Skiddaw House, Great Calva, Knott, Great Sca Fell, Longlands, Orthwaite, Dash BW, carry bike up Birkett Edge to Bakestall, Onto Skiddaw and then either down Ullock or the BW to Latrigg. This contains the longest legal downhill Singletrack in the lakes from Great Sca Fell to Longlands.

IMAG0430 by lowey.com, on Flickr

IMAG0439 by lowey.com, on Flickr

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lowey, you ever been down Burn Tod from the saddle between Little Calva and Knott? Its worth it 🙂

P4060008 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

lowey

NO mate… although I did hear its pretty good up at the top. Pic looks cracking! ON the to do list!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It’s fairly obvious to find your way in, then its the lovely techy waterfall-crossing rockfest shown in the pic,

P4060009 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

followed by the swoopiest, narrowest singletrack ever 🙂

lowey

See your singletrack.. look east and see the longest legal continuous downhill in the lakes. Nearly 4 miles without needing to pedal.

Some good stuff round the Back o Skidda!

Trekster

Some good stuff round the Back o Skidda!

Yeah, got “lost” around there last year when I forgot the map 😳
    Ended up on Great Calva though 😆
    Will have to try and find that route on the map Lowey and give it a go 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I know it – that’s the was I went up to get to Burn Tod. Luckily, it was a very dry Easter a few years ago, wouldn’t want to do it when its wet…

My grandparents-in-law were from Caldbeck, so I know the old mine tracks pretty well, and the trails that link them.

Fat-boy-fat

Cheers all,

Much appreciated. Time to get out the map and wax pencil I think!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Big days out in the Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.