Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • big cheap bike bag for flight ..anything better than a HD mattress protector ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

can’t see many of the lightweight bike bags offering much over a heavy duty mattress protector bag ( £4 off ebay )with some pipe foam/bubble wrap. I know the ctc do one at £12 but it’s only a plastic bag also.
    Anyone know different or can recommend anything good but inexpensive ? Need to fit an XL 29er with racks .
    thanks in advance
    Bill

antennae
    Free Member

How much is your bike worth?

I went with cheapest possible bike bag (about 30 quid) and pipe foam/bubble wrap first few trips on a plane. Then the bag emerged at one end torn with bits of frame poking out :/ Decided it was worth paying for a decent one after that.

kaiser
    Free Member

I have been lucky over the years but used cardboard boxes ,removed derailleur/bars ,spaced dropouts /forks , removed pedals and padded vulnerable areas. Not worried about a few scratches really.

wallop

Yeah get down your LBS and ask them for a cardboard box. My first trip abroad I used one – it was fine. You just have to take more components off, but this isn’t a bad thing, because you can wrap them up more.

oldnpastit

I’ve been fine with the CTC/Wiggle bag on quite a few journeys. Doing it again on Sunday (for work).

A Mattress bag is likely no different than the CTC bag.

kaiser
    Free Member

actually 3rd the price and same grade of plastic + much bigger

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘big cheap bike bag for flight ..anything better than a HD mattress protector ?’ is closed to new replies.