Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Big chainring for my MTB commuter
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m running out of gearing using my MTB with slicks.

I’d like a 54t / or 52t chainring. Can I just bolt it on or do I have to adjust the fron mech etc..

Any advice on suppliers, prices and best practices much appreciated.

DS

captaindanger

You’re going too fast, that’s the problem.

mk1fan
    Free Member

You’ll probably have clearance issues with the chainstay if you try and fit anything bigger than a 44T.

A 44T ring plus an 11T rear should be good for well over 35mph.

jonba
    Free Member

Try sjscycles.

A 46 or 48 should be ok and might be available as a touring setup I think any bigger and you’ll have problems.

I run 48:16 on my Inbred 26″ commuter (and it cruises quite happily at 18-20mph and is fine up to the high 20s for cadence) the 48t just clears the chainstay.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Assuming you’re still going to be using the middle ring for some riding then I suspect the front mech won’t handle the shift very well.

If you’re gonna be just only on the 52 front, then probably TA will do you a 48t. Never seen a mtb chainring in 50t plus.

As TA rings will probably cost you £50 might be worth considering either a ‘track’ chainset, or finding a trekking one 26/36/48?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

50+ – what a goon I am….

ads678

I run a 48t-36t-26(i think, never use the granny), on my Hardtail, GT Avalanche, and it fits without any issues at all. It’s a Deore chain set i bought from the wooly hat shop a few years ago for about £30. I reckon I could go a bit bigger before having clearance issues.

BrickMan

Yeah would aim for a 48-52 big ring.

Make sure your front mech can move UP the seattube far enough, and chainstay space (though on outer not often a problem on a double/triple setups).
    Make sure rear mech can take the difference!

But yeah, try to avoid being in the bottom 11t gear too much, as that wears the fastest and spreads to the rest of the drivechain quicker than you would imagine.

kimbers

im managed to get a 48t FSA dh ring for my commuter but i run it 1×9 had to buy seat mounted guide

butcher

I run 48/11 on my commuter and it’s spot on really.

nedrapier

48T on my 1×9 commuter. Bought a Paul Comp. chainkeeper rather than a front mech.

Mine is a Surly singlespeed ring. Not many mfrs go that big in 4 arm 104mm bcd Not sure if you want to keep using your middle rings?

XT and LX chainsets are available in 48/36/24 ish, I think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Big chainring for my MTB commuter’ is closed to new replies.