Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Big (but not +) 29er tyres
  • rOcKeTdOg

Is ardent 2.4 still the best choice? Will be on 35mm rims

kazafaza
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-the-widest-29-tyrebut-not-29

I’d give Dumb Hans a try…actually I’ve one I won’t use – I’m in Brum – you could give it a go perhaps?

spectabilis
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey’s worth a shout .

I’m running Goma TNT 2.4 at the min which comes even bigger. I’m fairly happy with it although it does tend to hang onto a fair bit of mud.

coomber
    Free Member

I’ve just put a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5″ tyre on a Superstar DS25 rim and it is absolutely massive!

nedrapier

conti 2.4s come up true to size – they’d be pretty voluminous on 35mm rims.

BillOddie

I’ve just put a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5″ tyre on a Superstar DS25 rim and it is absolutely massive!

This

rOcKeTdOg

What compound minion?

coomber
    Free Member

Good point. Not 100% sure. Will have a look when I get to the garage.

Confirmation email from Winstanleys just says:

Maxxis Minion DHF 29-Inch Tubeless Ready Kevlar Folding Tyre Product Code: LSZ9749

Checked and they have none in stock (bought it a few months back in sale for £24).

Clobber
    Free Member

Pretty sure the ardent/chunkymonkey/minion mentioned above are all on the same carcass.

Hans Dampf is similar certainly no bigger in my opinion

dday

Another for the Chunky. I ran it on the front for Alps trip last year. On a 35 mm rim, should be pretty big.

singlespeedstu

2.5 Minion DHF in 3C compound.

Northwind

HD is pretty large for a 2.35 but it’s also ****. Minion 2.5 is a wee bit under 2.5 but it’s also a good tyre. But then if you were thinking Ardent, it’ll be a fair bit slower.

mboy
    Free Member

Another vote for the 2.5 3C Minion DHF. Been running one for months now, it’s a beast but surprisingly light and doesn’t roll too bad either. The grip is phenomenal though.

Geax/Vittoria Goma’s are pretty big in 2.4″ and cheaper and lighter than the Minion.

bangermoose
    Free Member

If maximum grip is what you are after then go with the 3c minion 2.5 it’s a brilliant tyre, superb grip but can still pedal it all day. Though will have more drag than the ardent. I’ve got a 2.35 shorty 3c also which I really like as a winter tyre. 2.3 high roller is a good tyre and rolls well also, I use a 60 a compound for the rear. Never actually used an ardent but wouldn’t be my choice unless maybe for xc stuff in which case probably would go narrower than 2.4.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy another chunky monkey… It’s scary in mud/wet

mikeep
    Free Member

2.5 Minion DHF in 3C compound.

+1 no excuse for lack of grip. A little heavy tho

chakaping
    Free Member

Ardent rear and Chunky monkey front would make a good fast-ish summer combo.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just started riding a Hans dampf pacestar rear on my 29er.

Big and surprisingly fast rolling. Great fit rocky stuff.

Northwind

Oh hey, if you want to try a HD 2.35 trailstar (eh, I think it’s a trailstar), you’re welcome to mine for the price of postage, I don’t want to throw it in the bin but I’m never going to put it on a bike again either. And, eh, kind of not cool selling something you think is awful. But you might get some use out of it…

coomber
    Free Member

Here it is today. Hard to show size but it’s big.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Big (but not +) 29er tyres’ is closed to new replies.