Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Big bruise – any real damage?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Matey came a cropper on Saturday and speared himself pretty badly on the handlebars. I went back to find him he was sitting with his head in his hands said he’d nearly passed out. The bars had gone into his groin on the right below his navel and although it didn’t look too bad at the time he was clearly in a fair bit of pain

Anyway the other night he tells me the bruise is as big as a football and there’s a fair bit of swelling. He can walk but not much else.

Is it just a big bruise and he’s a big girl’s blouse or is it worth seeking medical advice

Ta

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Really?

Bruises don’t just happen under the skin – they can also happen deeper in your tissues, organs and bones. While the bleeding isn’t visible, the bruises can cause swelling and pain. If you’re worried that you may have internal bruising from an injury or accident, visit the nearest accident and emergency department.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1057.aspx?CategoryID=72

bikeneil
    Free Member

is it worth seeking medical advice

It’s FREE! Why wouldn’t it be worth it…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

As said, get it looked at, now. Its free to make sure he’s on the heal, rather than causing any internal damage.

prawny

A kid did that over the chase a couple of years ago, Stafford hospital sent him home because it was just bruising and he died the next day of internal bleeding from a ruptured spleen.

Hospital, now.

Not Stafford, obvs.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Worth getting it checked out. I went home once with what felt like the king of all dead legs, and by the evening couldn’t lift the leg at all.
    Went to A&E and while there turned out to be no problem they did take the possibility of more serious damage pretty seriously.

StirlingCrispin

Following on Mr Salmon, I went to A&E with a dead leg and spent a week plugged into an IV drip and being monitored for compartment syndrome.

So yes – straight to A&E please.

cinnamon_girl

Haematoma?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Always get it checked out and don’t be afraid to push back on th eNHS a wee bit, I came a cropper playing indoor footie a few years back. The A&E guys were primarily concerned with the potential fractured hip, when that was ruled out they sent me home, I later found out I had a serious haematoma and to quote the Head of Sports Injuries Clinic at Glasgow University “The largest bursae he’d ever seen” I got 5 weeks of quite intensive treatment from the Clinic at Hampden Park.

scaredypants

** Mr_Starship to aisle 4 please **

prawny

Dude! 😐

andyl
    Free Member

Didn’t a cyclist who ran into the back of a car die due to undiagnosed internal bleeding?

I don’t really tend to bruise unless I am really exerting myself doing sport. My best bruise was to my groin and knob when I was dragged along by a speed boat after messing up while learning to water ski!

rocketman
    Free Member

Ok thanks folks

andybrad

im thinking i probably need to go to the docs more often then after seeing that one. Thats just a usual bruise after one of my offs 🙁

rocketman
    Free Member

Thats just a usual bruise after one of my offs

Well yeah

The reason I asked was a few months ago matey crashed in front of me it was nothing really just a low side and a bit of rag dolling but the next time I saw him he looked like he’d been run over by a bus.

He’s a big unit but obv a delicate one not like us men of steel eh

prawny

I get an average, 1 bruise every 2 years I reckon, it’s quite an event when one comes up. Even after a fairly spectacular crash last year once I’d wiped the tyre marks off my face there was no evidence at all, even though I was in a fair bit of pain.

allfankledup

Get to a doc.

I looped a quad bike a couple of years back – huge squishy bump on my arse. After a few days a load of blood was drained out of it by the doctor. They started out collecting it in one of those little grey cardboard pots, but in the end the dr took a plant out of its pot and used that as a receptacle.

Normal for Wiltshire apparently.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

My son did something similar a couple of years ago – handlebar straight in the side of the groin area. Firstly, I am extremely thankful he had endcaps on the handlebars (or the end would have cored his leg very close to the artery), and secondly, the hospital said that we were absolutely right to bring him in. X-ray but happily no lasting damage, and some amusing bruises for a while.

So… off to the docs/hospital please, and remember to keep those endcaps on the bars

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Big bruise – any real damage?’ is closed to new replies.