Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Big Ad on here slowing HTC Desire
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Since my Desire upgraded to Android 2.2 this site got slower because of the ads.

This speeded up a bit recently, but the last couple of days it hangs for about 10 seconds whilst I guess it loads one of the stupid big adverts.

STW – Can you not limit ad size and complexity?? You wont be doing yourselves any favours as more and more people use mobile devices they want pages that dont use all the mobile data usage and slow it down…

Yes I know I could use Opera browser, but the standard browser is ok on all other sites.

retro83
    Free Member

You can set flash to run on demand.

Settings > Plugins > On Demand

Flash stuff is hidden with a little arrow icon, if you tap it then it loads it up.

Onzadog
    Free Member

can you? How? That sounds useful.

Mark

The new site now has one fewer ad on each page. Many of the ads are delivered by external ad agents like Google or Criteo.. These ads are used all over the internet so I’m ruling them out as being the problem. CRCs ads are hosted by their own servers and most of the others are animated gifs. If anyone else can help nail down the culprit you can contact me on mark@singletrackworld.com

retro83
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

can you? How? That sounds useful.

just edited my post above. Think this is 2.2 only though.

The other thing is to make sure flash is fully up to date, latest version of 10.1 seems faster.

Mark

….and for any advertisers or potential advertisers.. please make sure you include a backup gif in your ads if you use flash. And don;t use any random functions in your code.. that really REALLY buggers up processors. We’ve rejected ads that have used random functions for exactly that reason.

Andituk
    Free Member

Could always pay for Premium of course 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mark, it was bad a few weeks back, then since has been great. Only noticed it since yesterday again. Will try the fix suggested above.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

retro – I’m on 2.2 but my Desire doesnt have Setting > Plugins

or am I going the wrong route? I’ve just gone Menu > Settings is there a different way?

retro83
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

retro – I’m on 2.2 but my Desire doesnt have Setting > Plugins

or am I going the wrong route? I’ve just gone Menu > Settings is there a different way?

No, that should be it. I take it you are pressing menu from within the browser and not the main Android menu?

Edit
    from the browser

Menu > More > settings > enable plugins > on demand

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers retro, lets see if that speeds things up a little.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Got it now ta !

jam-bo

Sounds like a real shame that my iPhone won’t run flash….

monkeychild
    Free Member

Slow site?? Nope not on my jesus phone 🙂

meehaja
    Free Member

no problems on my desire?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ads?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Big Ad on here slowing HTC Desire’ is closed to new replies.