Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Big 700c or small 29er tyre for CX bike.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Looking to fit a bigger tyre to my CX bike. Any recommendations? Looking for something that will let me take on slightly harder terrain than my regular CX tyres allow but will still work on the road too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There’s not much around between 38 and 2.0, I tried a Bonty 47 or so and found it a poor compromise for me…now for sale

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the Schwalbe Smart sam in 28×1.75 which looks promising. Also Schwalbe land cruisers which seem heavy but have heard they are bullet proof.Also Kenda Karma in 1.9. Apart from that Conti, Spesh etc all seem hybridy.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

I’vebeen thinking just like you fella but have also thought about clearance or the lack of it! i cannot find a small enough 29ere tire to fit in my frame. you mention a smart Sam in 1.8 but is that much bigger than a smart Sam in 700×40?

Edric64
    Free Member

Landcruisers are great on harder terrian like the 3 peaks x a and rarely puncture but have little grip on mud

YoKaiser
    Free Member

i cannot find a small enough 29ere tire to fit in my frame. you mention a smart Sam in 1.8 but is that much bigger than a smart Sam in 700×40?

I reckon the 1.75 should be like a 45. A bit more research shows the Sam to be a favourable tyre so much so that I’m going to go for them. I can do some pics and sizes when I get them mounted.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

that would be swell, cheers :mrgreen:

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Finally got round to mounting the tyres, they came in at 46mm at its widest, this is on a 19mm Planet X Model B rim and pumped to 4.5bar(Max 5). Great improvement for the bumpier stuff but noticeably draggier on the smooth, also a bit of toe overlap. Pretty much as expected really.

And if anyone has a Cube X-Race they fit fine, clearance is good apart from the chainstays only have a few mm each side.

roady_tony
    Free Member

YoKaiser : watch it on lower pressures and hard cornering….

Rik
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Bonty 2.0 folding 29er team issue tyres for sale I’d you want to email me.
    Fast light not to big and a lot cheaper than you’ll buy in the shops.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

roady tony I did notice that they were quite fussy about the pressure. I jumped on without checking and had had a slight leak from the new tubes removable valve core. Anyway they were down on pressure and felt like a blancmange, very skitty. Sorted now. Was a bit scary how loose the tyres were to go on in the first place.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Big 700c or small 29er tyre for CX bike.’ is closed to new replies.