Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bicycle transport solutions
  • ask1974
    Free Member

Two cars, a 2007 VW Passat and 2006 Toyota RAV4. The Passat has roof rails, the RAV4 hasn’t. The RAV4 has a rear mounted spare wheel.

I need to carry two bikes for short trips and would love some suggestions. I haven’t needed a roof rack until now so a little out of touch. Is a roof rack with those vertical bike supports best, or something slung off the back (so not the RAV4).

Links to appropriate good value products would be great. Cheers.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve use a spare wheel mounted rack for our 4×4. Easy to fit and use. Estate or Saloon Passat? I presume estate if it has rails, in which case they are huge inside

charliedontsurf

Sounds like you need two racks.

But as a pssat owner, if you have the estate just put he bikes in side: safer, cheaper, more economical.

ask1974
    Free Member

The Passat is an estate, but I don’t want to squeeze two filthy bikes inside. Much prefer the external route and security not an issue as will never be left unattended.

Nick, what brand of spare wheel rack do you use?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve had roof racks and they work fine but if I were buying again I would go for a tow bar mounted rack. They are secure, out of the wind (fuel economy), easy to to get bikes on and off of and can be removed easily when not needed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bicycle transport solutions’ is closed to new replies.