Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Bibtights without footstraps – specifically Gore
  • njee20
    Free Member

About to buy some new winter tights, my last pair of Assos haven’t lasted all that well (in fact my two older pairs are in better condition). I don’t want padded, reasonably limited to what the LBS can get (as I can get them trade that way). Gore Oxygens look good, but they don’t have foot straps/stirrups. My only experience of similarly designed tights were Specialized ones which were stupidly baggy on the calf and became 3/4s within a couple of miles!

I’ve got quite skinny legs I guess (athletic I’d say), anyone got Gore bibtights, do they stay put? I worry that the inherent lack of ‘give’ in Windstopper fabric means they’ll be a bit shit…

jam-bo

so, did you want footstraps or not?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’ve got ‘athletic’ calves as well and have some Gore bib tights (unsure which ones but they are padded) and haven’t had any issues with them riding up. They’re stretchy enough and nice and warm so thumbs up from here.

wwaswas

sew a couple of bits of wide elastic on the bottom of the legs?

njee20
    Free Member

so, did you want footstraps or not?

Well I’ve always had them, but the tights I like the look of don’t have them, so I want to know if they’re necessary or not!

sew a couple of bits of wide elastic on the bottom of the legs?

I did think that to be honest!

I’ve got ‘athletic’ calves as well and have some Gore bib tights (unsure which ones but they are padded) and haven’t had any issues with them riding up. They’re stretchy enough and nice and warm so thumbs up from here.

Awesome, ta!

bikebouy
    Free Member

All my latest Bibs have no foot straps, all have a small rubber grip of some sort or another and a zip to tighten around the ankle.
    They do sit a little higher up the leg,mout no higher than just below your ankle, you can see my socks between by shoes and bottom of the Bibs mind (not that it bothers me)

Haven’t seen footstraps in at least a couple of years now..

njee20
    Free Member

The Gore Xenons have them, but they’re padded. Assos and Rapha still have them, although I see Castelli don’t.

Zip is bad, that’s half the problem with the Spesh ones, I wear winter boots, which means zips rub, as they obviously sit higher than normal shoes.

I don’t think the Oxygens have zips.

Edit: tis these

SirHC

I was on the hunt for some decent bibtights, ended up with castelli nanoflex’s. Yes they are expensive, but its a price you pay for something that actually fits properly, doesn’t ride up and has a pad which doesn’t make you feel like you are wearing a nappy.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes they are expensive, but its a price you pay for something that actually fits properly, doesn’t ride up and has a pad which doesn’t make you feel like you are wearing a nappy.

They’re a chunk cheaper than Gores! However… I can’t get Castelli at trade, they still don’t have footstraps, and I don’t want padded, otherwise, they look perfect 😉

hammyuk
    Free Member

I got some Biemme Gore bibs from PlanetX HERE

Athletic fit and bloody warm!
    Would be really easy to remove the pad.

njee20
    Free Member

Not actually available when you select the drop downs. And massively snobby as it is, they’re a Christmas present, so I want something nice, I’ve got a lot of Gore clothing, so I know it’ll last!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have been using the Abfib ones from Pearl Izumi which have a zip heel. After quite a few years of using them I haven’t had an issue with them and in fact the arse has worn out on the pair I have now rather than the zips.

njee20
    Free Member

Ah yes, hadn’t thought of Pearl Izumi, dunno who the distributor is though… Probably not a goer as they’re not a stockist.

It’s not zips wearing out that’s the issue, it’s that with winter boots you want the ankle closure nice and tight, and having a zip pressed into your achilles isn’t hugely comfortable! Not an issue with overshoes, as they’re not tight in the same way.

Edit: looks like distributor is Madison. Could work.

prawny

I prefer tights without stirrups so I can put them on outside of overshoes then the water doesn’t work it’s way down the tights inside my shoes. Never had a problem with ones without them but I’ve got both types, and wouldn’t dismiss a pair over it.

simonhbacon
    Free Member

I prefer tights without stirrups so I can put them on outside of overshoes

+

I have been very impressed with Ride Aquazero. Very close cut. They are padded though.
    http://www.rideworld.co.uk/mens-lower/ride_aquazero_bibtights_2014.html

njee20
    Free Member

Wouldn’t get tights outside winter boots – too bulky.

Sounds like the Spesh ones I had were just a bit shit then (as I suspected), and Gore ones without aren’t a concern.

scotroutes

I’ve never had bibtights with stirrups and never missed them

njee20
    Free Member

Weird innit, I just assumed they were standard, having only owned Lusso and Assos tights, apart from the aforementioned shit Spesh ones.

jamj1974

Njee. +1 for amfibs and ‘athletic’ calves. Zips have not rubbed me at all.

hammyuk
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Not actually available when you select the drop downs. And massively snobby as it is, they’re a Christmas present, so I want something nice, I’ve got a lot of Gore clothing, so I know it’ll last!

Website issue they cant seem to correct – I just called them and they were here the following day.
    They are actual Gore Windstopper fabric, etc – I thought I’d get them and see as if not can just fire them back for returns.
    Far better quality than a lot of the others I got at the same time from Castelli, etc!
    Had ones delivered from CRC/Wiggle to check them all and at £29.99 none of the others came close – in fact even at their original price they are better!

TheSanityAssassin

Lusso Max Repel are good quality, have stirrups, are unpadded and you can deffo get them over a pair of Northwave Arctic boots with the strap underneath.

njee20
    Free Member

Nah I started with some Max Repels many years ago, and disliked them. Didn’t last either.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you aren’t that far away from me Nick – you’re welcome to have a gander

Nobby

The Pearl Izumis are great – either the Amfib for the wet stuff or the Thermal/Barrier ones when it’s just plain cold.

Also recently got a pair of Madison’s own & they are really quite good for the money……unless you’re a brand snob 😉

Sandwich

Lusso Repels. Cheap as chips, footsteps and no pad. Nice and warm and quite water resistant.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered Raphas Pro Team Winter Bibs, no straps.. Wouldn’t think nor be tempted to use them off road though.

Early Xmas for me 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

Ah yes, hadn’t thought of Pearl Izumi, dunno who the distributor is though… Probably not a goer as they’re not a stockist.

It’s not zips wearing out that’s the issue, it’s that with winter boots you want the ankle closure nice and tight, and having a zip pressed into your achilles isn’t hugely comfortable! Not an issue with overshoes, as they’re not tight in the same way.

Bike24.de are selling them for 100 eur on special offer at the moment and I wear them with winter boots all the time and have never had issues with the zips digging in. In fact I find styrups much more uncomfortable.

Edit. Just looked again and the new Amfibs come with styrups.linky

njee20
    Free Member

I wear them with winter boots all the time and have never had issues with the zips digging in. In fact I find styrups much more uncomfortable.

Good to know, probably a concern about nothing.

The AmFIBs do look good, and available through Madison, could be a goer. How do they size? I’m a large in Assos, but Small in Lusso, and medium in Gore!

TiRed

Am Fibs are excellent. I’m a slight S/M, with a 30″ waist and 32″ inside leg. Small are too small and Medium a little too big. No stirrups, but then I’ve never had them.

I ride Sidi winter boots and never had a problem with the zips in the cuffs. I also wear calf length wool socks when it is really cold – like this morning, and again have not suffered the cold.

teasel
    Free Member

The AmFib is an excellent tight, more so because of the stirrup IMO. It also has a little built-in ‘gaitor’ that sits over low cuff boots with ease. If I had to reach for the AmFib or the Stealth it would be the AmFib everytime.

Size wise – I wear mediums and they’re just right. That should give you a reasonably good reference point.

Edit : I do have quite long legs, though…

njee20
    Free Member

Top man, thanks.

jamj1974

I’m a large in Lusso and Amfibs.

njee20
    Free Member

Actually to be fair, half my issue with Lusso was their sizing – they seemed to come up long in the leg, so the smalls were a bit short in the bib straps, whilst the mediums were ridiculously long in the leg.

I’ll try some medium AmFIBs, can always return them if they’re totally wrong.

Saccades
    Free Member

Another vote for Pearl Izumi’s here – really well made and comfy. Sizing is “not Italian” – ie XL is 44” chest (not XXXXL).

dragon
    Free Member

Can’t you get some kind of club kit trade?

You’ve hit my 2 gripes around current bibtights:

1) Why is it so hard to find a pair without a pad?

2) Bloody zips that rub my ankles and don’t provide as much coverage when compared to stirrups?

Hurrah for Lusso for still providing these as an option at not at silly prices either.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t you get some kind of club kit trade?

Yep, but it’s not that cheap (£99 for “Apex Winter Bib Tights”), and the quality is a bit of an unknown, plus I generally wear softshells in winter rather than team kit, and a plain softshell with team tights looks a bit daft!

njee20
    Free Member

I know everyone’s been waiting on tenterhooks for a resolution to this… I bought Pearl Izumi AmFibs after several recommended them. Thicker than I expected, fit’s not the best, baggy calves as I didn’t want, but the small would’ve been too short. Not actually used ’em yet, but will see tomorrow! Should make good ‘deep winter’ tights, and I’m not worried about using them off road, which I rarely do any of my Assos ones, so not bad!

Stirrups seem good though. Thanks all.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Bibtights without footstraps – specifically Gore’ is closed to new replies.