Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bib shorts – what's the benefit?
  • Kahurangi

Not a troll but an honest question – what are bib shorts/longs good for?

the only benefit I cna see is that they might take some pressure off your stomach/core.

Against them – it's another layer you can't take off, resulting in sweatier body (assuming a minimum of shorts+top), more difficult to pee (although as a former rower I know there are ways around this)?

amplebrew

I wear mine in the cold weather as they aren't as draughty, keeping me warmer 🙂

tron
    Free Member

Lower back doesn't get cold. Backside doesn't hang out.

mildred

Loads comfier.

druidh
    Free Member

Comfier, less draughty. Bib gives an extra "half" layer. Buy the right ones and it's easy to pee "over the top" without having to take them off.

amplebrew

Another negative is that with no backside hanging out, you've got nowhere to park the bike 😆

househusband

Comfort, simple as.

trail_rat
    Free Member

chamois stays in the same place , waist band doesnt dig in or fold over/bunch up.

need the ill skills to take a piss without looking liek your attempting self fellatio

Kahurangi

But how do they improve comfort? I don't find anything in particular wrong with some good shorts.

/edit – I don't have problems with the chamois moving either.

Less pressure around the abdomen would make sense tho.

ourmaninthenorth

Comfort..!

Oh, and what's the problem with peeing? You lot got small old chaps or something? 🙄

aP
    Free Member

More comfier.
    No1s are easy, just pull and go, no2s not so easy admittedly but then as soon as I go into countryside my body goes into Scoutcamp mode and stops solids issues until I get home.

psling
    Free Member

I just find them more comfortable. You don't have to keep pulling them up, they keep your kidneys warmer in cold weather, modern materials don't cause too much over-sweating, choose wisely and taking a pee isn't really a problem, they don't cut into my portly wok of a belly… 😉

Kahurangi

omitn – only when it's really cold, old chap

as for peeing, with rowing all-in-one suits you have two options – roll the top down or pull the leg up..

nuke

But how do they improve comfort?

+ 1. Lots saying comfier but what makes them more comfy? 😕

miketually
    Free Member

I really like my bib 3/4s, after years of not seeing the point. peeing is easy; just pop it out the bottom of the leg 😉

psling
    Free Member

Lots saying comfier but what makes them more comfy?

Well, in my case the list of reasons given in my answer above (except the taking a pee one) 8)

psling
    Free Member

I really like my bib 3/4s, after years of not seeing the point. peeing is easy; just pop it out the bottom of the leg

Isn't that why they have a short zip at the the bottom of the legs on bib-longs? 😆

anc
    Free Member

Function and comfort whilst pedalling hence all pro's use them and you can't argue with that 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Just try a pair, you'll then understand the comfort thing.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

comfier. much more so.

warmer in winter (no draughts)

rubbish when you need a poo

no problem for taking a piss.

MrOvershoot

As I have been wearing them for riding since the early 80's I cant say I would want to go back to something so arcane as a pair of shorts. Even use braces with baggy shorts as a tight waist band just stops me gulping in air 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

How tight should they be? Should they be slightly uncomfortable when you are standing up straight ie designed to be worn when in the riding position? Or should there be a bit more flexibility than that?

ex-pat
    Free Member

One word: Wrestlemania.

trail_rat
    Free Member

shouldnt be that tight at all kennyp- they are stretchy stretchy ….

im 6 foot 3 but skinny as rake and wear a medium (demarchi bib) and they dont castrate me …

FuzzyWuzzy

Nothing digging in around the waist and doesn't expose your backside to anyone if your base layer rides up, those two reasons are good enough for me. The material is so thin and breathes so well that over-heating is a non-issue (no issues on rides in over 30c heat anyway) and it's not much effort to pull them down at the front a bit when pissing…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts – what's the benefit?’ is closed to new replies.