Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Bib shorts- do you get used to the straps? (I hate the feeling)
  • MrOvershoot

I’m the complete opposite to you Hora, anything other than bib shorts just feels wrong while cycling, I wear baggies with braces over the top when on my mountain bike as I hate the sinking shorts feeling.

I’ve been wearing them since 1979 for cycling so it just seems natural.
    As others have said Lusso & DHB suit my long torso @ 6’3″ Pearl Izumi also seem better sized at the XXL end anyway, though XXL chest size listed as 42″-44″ is way off for someone with a 50″ chest.

benp1

I’m 6’3

I’ve got lidl/aldi bib longs, and some dhb longs, both fine

Wore Gore short bibs on the commute this morning, again fine.

Sometimes a bit strange when you first put them on, but fine when they’ve been on for a bit

D0NK

£26!

sold! Gonna order a pair of them.
    Bibs are good if you don’t have any other sort of waist strap, ‘bak waist straps or baggie/longs waist bands kinda defeat the object otherwise not much point to them as I don’t really have a problem with cycling shorts falling down. Longs or baggies are a different matter, I always go for biblongs.

Just bibs and a jersey on when it’s warm is pretty comfy and cool, if unsightly. I do notice the lack of waist band, but it’s one of those minor things.

edhornby

those Lusso are a bargain, and you’re supporting UK manufacturing as well (Radcliffe, near Bury)

Goz
    Free Member

always slightly tight when stood up, fine in the riding position!

mrblobby
    Free Member

always slightly tight when stood up, fine in the riding position!

^^^ mostly this. Only exception is a pair of Santini bibs I have, still a bit tight on the bike and gives me a mild wedgie. If you are long of trunk I’d avoid Santini.

nickc

Try loads, shorts are OK as well, I’ve no pairs that are uncomfy enough that I wouldn’t wear them.

jameso

Rickmeister, we see you wandering around at Eurobike every year don’t we?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Imagine it’s all about the sizing and stretchiness.

Maybe I got lucky but bought a pair of Lusso that just felt like a glove and honestly the best bit of riding kit I ever had. worn in summer with nothing else but shoes is something else. Unfettered and free of sweaty nonsense. Like a slick vitamin-D harvesting flying über-being swimming through the air. Except on a bike. Sort of.

yunki
    Free Member

I thought bibs felt strange when I first tried them.. The first proper hill puts all thoughts of what I’m wearing completely out of my mind.. I don’t usually remember them til I get home to torment my gf with my fairground strongman routine..

I would suggest focussing harder on your riding

singlespeedstu

fairground strongman routine

Even after several years of wearing bibs the novelty of this this hasn’t worn off. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

After this afts ride Im waiting for my balls to redescend.

D0NK

and you’re supporting UK manufacturing as well (Radcliffe, near Bury)

so probably less than 10miles from my LBS who can’t currently get lusso stuff in 🙄 *
    Don’t suppose they have a factory shop do they?

*Yeah I know it doesn’t work like that.

hora
    Free Member

Radcliffe- that is local. I didn’t know that- I’ll buy some of their kit as I always try to buy UK manufactured where possible.

apart from splaying and crushing my nuts up- the loosening will relax round there right? I literally had to pull them out….yes TMI..

MrNice
    Free Member

not while I’m eating my lunch! 😡

cloudnine
    Free Member

apart from splaying and crushing my nuts up- the loosening will relax round there right? I literally had to pull them out….yes TMI..

Stop buying from the childrens section and get some that fit.
    Bibs are comfy when they fit right..

STATO
    Free Member

Morvelo shorts are tight, take a good while to ‘loosen’ but dont do so by much. If your getting issues in the crotchal region as well as height, id just move on to another brand now. Love mine, but if i put on any weight at all they would be a no go.

scaredypants

splaying and crushing my nuts up

you’re doing it wrong

hora
    Free Member

Well Ive already worn em. I’ll give em another couple of rides and also try Lusso. Im hardly hung like a powerful Shire horse. More a Pit Pony.

I wont be putting thrm up for sale though. Thats grim

dragon
    Free Member

Never been impressed with Lusso myself. Sure they are cheap-ish and made in the UK. However, the cut on the jersey I have of theirs is weird and the 2 rear pockets are annoying to get balanced compared to the normal 3. The other stuff I had of theirs all unraveled after the first wash. I wouldn’t totally rule them out, but it is cheap for a reason IMO.

As for bibs, they are fine just get a pair that fit and man up.

TheSanityAssassin

Hora, I’m the same height as you and a similar ‘solid’ build. Not a chubber like you, obviously, but I used to be before I started riding loads of miles a month. I’ve only ever used these bibshorts and they’re incredibly comfortable and fantastic value for money too. Especially as they’re on offer from Ribble at the mo, with £20 off. You’ll want the XL size.

Lusso Pro Gel

blairc70
    Free Member

Give these a go – http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Assos/T-rallyShorts-s7-MTB-Bib-Shorts/7J84?gclid=CO3y5O3N7cQCFUyWtAoduncApg

I use the Scott ones (start cycles) but buy a size up to reduce squashage.

hora
    Free Member

Aye girls at work say Im sturdy/solid but not fat/overweight looking. If I was a female that’d be an insult. 😀

matt_outandabout

OCB
    Free Member

Should go without saying, but (ime) wider straps are more comfortable too …as is taking that extra second or so to make sure the straps aren’t twisted (oh, and to make sure they are sitting properly over your nipple piercings of course).

Echoing comments above, but I find that anything other than bibs now feels weird on a bike. I find them great at this time of year when you just need that little extra layer at the bottom of your back, but don’t need an extra layer anywhere else. (This might be an age thing).

1-shed
    Free Member

I can now recommend Howies shorts, they are very good indeed. Probably better than my castelli and rapha ones.

Gary_C

I bought some of those Lusso pro-gel bibs from Merlin a few weeks ago. Most comfortable shorts I’ve ever worn, oh & only £44.95 too.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Bib shorts- do you get used to the straps? (I hate the feeling)’ is closed to new replies.