Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BHF South Downs Way 21st July.
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’m struggling to find info on this event on the web. BHF asks ‘Are you tough enough’ but doesn’t provide information on location of feed stations etc.
    I want to do the SDW in a day and figure it’d be a good chance to do it with signage and logistical support, but I need to know I can rely on a decent amount of grub and energy drink at the feed points before I set off with a couple of bottles and a pocket of gels!

john_l
    Free Member

Or you could make sure you’ve got enough to do it self supported – there’s plenty of taps on the route & it’s well signposted.

marvincooper

Did it last year (and will be this year too). They didn’t have any food at checkpoints until the 65 mile mark where I think there were a few cereal bar type things. Definitely take your own food, and lots of it! I’m going to be carrying about 25 gels and half a dozen energy bars, plus carb powder to use at the taps.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up marvincooper. I was hoping it’d be an easy ticket to doing the SDW. Prob just do it sometime by myself when the weather, commitments and motivation combine.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You really are better off doing it yourself. It’s not hard, well signposted, its well worn so no real danger of getting lost, you’ll enjoy the view more instead of it turning into a race. I’m doing it to Arundel today then turning right down the Arun to Littlehampton then along to Pagham and back up to Chichester and back onto the downs then home.
    I’m just setting off …

enveetee
    Free Member

No official feed stations but a few official water stops near the end where there are no taps

Kicks off at 5:30 from Chilcot Center, but I alway pre-register and once I have my number registered at the start I get going at about 5:15 am and usually get in at dusk around 9:15pm (you’ll be faster)

Great day but don’t under estimate the effort – it’s no walk in the park, especially when you hit the 65-70 mile mark

C U 2 weeks today!!!

marvincooper

How do you pre-register? OK I have my number so I guess I am registered. Thought you still had to sign in at the start though?

amt27
    Free Member

thinking about this, whats your guys logistics for getting back to the start at the end?

Hi Bikebouy your route sounds nice and would be doable for where I live do you have a GPS file for it?

enveetee
    Free Member

If you’re doing it with the BHF, it is polite to sign in to tell them you are on the course. Near the end the ‘Sweeper’ will shadow you and if he thinks you will not get in before 9:30pm he’ll have your number off you and cast you to the dogs!

If you’re not doing it with the BHF, just get going whenever it suits you but remember if you have any mechanicals and use the BHF mechanic stops – it would be nice to give a donation to their support efforts.

Hope it’s not raining – it’s really REALLY tiresome if it is

Silver Rock Hopper
    56 years old
    18 stone
    At the back (again)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BHF South Downs Way 21st July.’ is closed to new replies.