Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Better winter rear than a dhr2 for my 29er
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Been running a dhr2 for my 29er for a while now which i love.

Anything else worth trying over the winter on my Following to pair up with a Mary?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends where you winter really.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Need something that covers all eventualities from local mud to rocky shingle trail centres

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vigilante.

jam-bo

I’m quite liking forekasters

Northwind

I thought a dhf might work. Pretty rubbish tbh. Have to say I really like the dhr2 as a rear, it’s not massively grippy but it slides predictably and nicely which imo is a big deal.

If you want spiky then a vigilante could be good- the 29er version is a pretty hard rubber, they don’t make the soft one they do for other sizes for some mad reason so it rolls and wears better than a shorty or mary. WTB seem to be putting together a range of tyres that often don’t quite do the job they’re supposed to but are good at random other stuff.

sillyoldman

Baron.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Like the idea of the forecaster

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Specialized Hillbilly grid front and rear for me.

davosaurusrex

Beaver 2.2

kimbers

vigilante is great shitty conditions rear tyre – tough fast rolling is the one ive got- but draggy obvs

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have tough high grip in 650b, great tyre, but didn’t realise they only do the tough fast in 29.

Paceman
    Free Member

Magic Mary front with a Hans Dampf on the rear works for me all year round. Fit and forget combo. 20/25psi tubeless on Stans Arch rims.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’ve been running 2 Fat Albert Fronts (trailstar) on my hardtail and they have been great.Smooth rolling,grippy,high volume soft condition tyre.They are not at their best cornering on hardpack but far from terrible.They did good in Afan and Cwmcarn too.
    Cheap as chips at mo too:

Fat Alberts

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Why not just keep running it? DHR2’s work great in pretty much everything.

Funnily enough the new Nobby Nic looks like a pretty good rear tyre – have been riding one on a bike recently & it’s been really good (surprise).

Not been enjoying the Magic Mary on the front though. Great for grip, feels like it’s been dipped in glue for rolling resistance.

welshfarmer

Beaver or a mountain king.

DHR 2 on the rear of my 27.5 feels terrible now in winter. OK-ish for going, appalling for stoping. I found that the instant the sharp edges had worn off the blocks (took about a week!) then it lost almost all braking ability.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Better winter rear than a dhr2 for my 29er’ is closed to new replies.