Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Better road wheels than Open pros/105 from Rose for £160?
  • bigshep
    Free Member

Evening,

Just seen a set of 105 hubs built onto open pro rims on Rose bikes for £160 delivered once you add rim tape.

Are there any better deals out there for a big fella weighing 110kg after a do it all set of wheels?

Cheers

mrblobby
    Free Member

I doubt it. Paid just under 200 quid for my 32h set (I am 40kg lighter 😉 ) a few months back and I had quite a good look around at the time. Nice set of wheels.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Just push that budget a little bit and get something really nice 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-hoops-road-new-velocity-a23?replies=5#post-6078952

TiRed

I’d go with Mavic CXP33 rims at your weight. Builds a much stiffer wheel for an extra 50g per rim.

I’ve flatted two Open Pro rims on potholes this past winter and I am 69 kilos.

martymac

mate bought a pair with ultegra hubs, paid for ultegra, rear was ultegra.
    front was only 105 tho.
    from rose bikes.

robdob
    Free Member

I just bought the same from Rose bikes but with Ultegra hubs for £196. I got the 105/OP combo for a friend a few months ago and was so impressed that I ordered my set.
    I’m 14st and will use them for all sorts of riding including some light touring. They’ll be fine for you I think!

Incidentally, I had some a Planet X and Shimano wheels in the past which were lighter but I honestly couldn’t notice any difference. The new Ultegra/OP wheels feel so smooth compared to the minimally spoked wheels. Love them!

grahamg
    Free Member

I’m with the cheeky classifieds suggestion – wider wims really do work comfort wise and I just love the fit and forget nature of hope hubs over cup’n’cone maintenance, a bit lighter too probably, also tubeless compatible should you wish to go that way in future (assuming the rims on those ones aren’t more than a couple of years old!).

bigshep
    Free Member

So I went with the CXP33 rims on 105 hubs as when I looked into it a bit more they seemed to be the better option for my weight 😳
    Cheers TiRed
    Will report back in a week or so 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Would the 105/open pro wheels be much better or lighter than my Tiagra/Alex da22 set, anybody able to comment?

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve flatted two Open Pro rims on potholes this past winter and I am 69 kilos.

I weigh more than you, and did LEJOG with panniers on Open Pros. They stayed completely true.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Better road wheels than Open pros/105 from Rose for £160?’ is closed to new replies.