Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Better options than cycle to work?
  • Danno72
    Free Member

So they finally have the cycle scheme at work. £1000 limit but you can top it up if you like but only get the discount on the £1000. A work mate wants to get a new mtb. At a push he can do £2000 which works out to £1500 through the scheme. I had a quick scan on Evans ( thats who the scheme is with ) and couldn’t really see alot for that price. So I was wondering if any one had seen good deals else where? I thought the Canyon Nerve AL 7.0 looked like a pretty good for the money. He is after either a 120mm Full sus or maybe a hardtail? We do mainly XC rides in the chilterns. So either £2000 at Evans or £1500 else where.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Your problem is trying to find a bike to not cycle to work on in a pricerange set to get a bike to cycle to work on.

Also are you sure your maths is right?

You get the first 1000 pounds value reduced but no where near 50% is it not more like 25%?

Plus

1000 extra.

=1750

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Are you sure about being able to top it up? I thought you weren’t allowed to due to the tax-break limit/who owns which bits of it while you’re leasing it, etc.

scotroutes

As joshvegas says, the saving is unlikely to be as much as £500. Personally, I’d recommend looking for a discounted model somewhere and line up some 0% finance if the capital isn’t immediately available. Indeed, saving for a couple of months will see your workmate getting in to the time of year when 2015 models will start to be available and 2014 models being discounted. Of course, if he can’t wait and needs a quick fix, discount the last bit 🙂

Danno72
    Free Member

Being in a higher tax rate plus and extra 10% £1000 worked out to £522 over 12 months. This was all worked out on an attachment with the email. I can see exactly where you’re coming from with the price range thing but this is his budget so just trying to get him the best thing available for his money. Just don’t want him to buy something from Evans just because of the scheme if you can get something better else where by maybe banging it on an interest free credit card and doing that way.

scotroutes

Are you saying that Evans have told him he can add an extra £1,000 onto the value of his voucher?

Danno72
    Free Member

Attached with the email were FAQ and one of them was can I spend more than £1000 and the answer said yes but you only get discount on the £1000

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I helped a friend in a similar situation recently.

We found that the closer you got to £2k and above the saving on a previous years model from some of the online retailers gave you a better saving than a current years model on cycle to work with a top-up. (based on his salary)

He picked up a stumpy fsr on a 0% credit card with a great saving.

It would be worth looking at a few bikes he likes, do a spreadsheet of components etc and working out the best value bike, then go with what ever works the best regardless of if ites with Evans or elsewhere on finance/CCard

Danno72
    Free Member

Thanks Singlespeed shep

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Better options than cycle to work?’ is closed to new replies.