Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • .. Best way to store a bike on the ceiling ?…….
  • jeb

Hello

I have a very full shed, so was thinking of somehow, putting my roadbike on the ceiling….. any pictures, ideas how to do this?, would be nice if it also was easy to take it down again.

Thanks !

cookeaa

franksinatra

Helium in the tyres should do it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

20kg rated hooks from the diy shop and hang from the wheels unless you want it flat to the roof.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve a thing in the garage designed for exactly this, it’s sat unused (by me, was a charity shop find by a family member) in a box on the shelf.

Yours if you want it near Harrogate/Boroughbridge or for post & a small charity donation.

If you’re interested let me know and I’ll dig it out and let you know what it actually is.

joemmo
    Free Member

if it’s a steel bike how about some bloody big magnets?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

joemmo – Member

Well how would they stick to the wooden roof? Duh.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bike pulley – £12 from halfords or just under £9 from amazon.

Aldi also do one, I’ve been using one for a good few years on a bike that doesn’t get used much. It’s great but remember you do need a lot of head height.

sadmadalan

Sky hooks – ask your apprentice/trainee to get a pair from stores

ads678

I have four bike hanging from big hooks fixed to the roof joists of my garage. 3 of them hang from the top tube, my road bike just hangs by the saddle.

I did used to have them hanging vertically on the wall but from the roof takes up less space and means other bikes can underneath them.

joemmo
    Free Member

Well how would they stick to the wooden roof? Duh.

I refer you to cookeaa’s post.

You could also glue some carefully balanced opposing magnets to the floor and suspend your bike in mid-air.

#comingsoontokickstarter

Northwind

I’ve got a couple of the silverline bike pulley lifts that I’m probably never going to use, if you want one for the price of postage let me know. I just used hooks instead since I can easily enough lift the bike onto them

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Teach your bike to dance with Lionel. 😉

matt_outandabout

😆

jeb

Thanx guys!

joshvegas
    Free Member

The problem with hanging bikes from the ceiling is they don’t really clear much space from the floor. Lifting them up and over stuff is a pain in the arse.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The problem with hanging bikes from the ceiling is they don’t really clear much space from the floor. Lifting them up and over stuff is a pain in the arse.

Hook hanger round bike, hoist up to ceiling, wrap pulley rope round cleat on wall. Reverse for removal. Why would hanging them from the ceiling not clear space from the floor? I’m confused.

Bez

Why would hanging them from the ceiling not clear space from the floor?

Well, it does, but unless we’re talking about a particularly high-rise shed it doesn’t clear a very tall region of space so there’s a limit to what use you can make of it. And if you do make use of it then you generally need to move the stuff out of the way when you want to get the bike down.

Personally I’d just use one hook attached to either the ceiling or the wall and store the bike vertically, hung from one wheel. YMMV. Depends on your shed/garage layout: hanging mine vertically leaves enough space to walk past, where having them hung horizontally from the ceiling wouldn’t… I’d have to use the space underneath to crawl through 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

As Bez said.

And one thing I learned the hard way with them is you need to luft them straight up. No fancy sideways lifting… That hurts… Alot.

As a storage solution for little used bikes its okay.

For an everydayer its more faff than its worth.

Pedal hooks are nice yes the are on the wall but the wheels are out the way so stuff can be placed on the floor.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘.. Best way to store a bike on the ceiling ?…….’ is closed to new replies.