Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best way to repair a small hole in a tyre?
  • ace_sparky
    Free Member

I have a Panaracer razer which has a small(5mm)split in the center of the tyre, could I just use regular a regular patch & glue on the inside of the tube?

benjag
    Free Member

Yep just patch on the inside of the tyre, done it loads of times on sidewalls

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…personally, I'd patch it with something a little more sturdy than a puncture repair patch. You really don't want the patch to slip, tear or allow the hole to get any bigger. I've done this sort of thing in the past, due to my previous obsession with running 60psi in my tyres at all times (n.b. they don't last too long at that pressure, especailly over rocks, despite claims on the sidewall!).

I've used bits of an old inner tube. Cut a peice larger than the tyre hole and apply that rubber glue stuff that requires 'curing' for a few minutes to both the patch and the tire. Press down firmly and make sure you get a good join.

I have always then covered the repair with duct tape – so that it has an even better chance of sticking, but also because you want to avoid irregular surfaces on the inside of the tyre that will cause punctures or abrasion with the inner tube while riding.

Job done.. 🙂

WillH

My slicks get cut to shreds with broken glass on my commute. Every couple of months I pull all the glass out and fill the holes with Shoe Goo. Biggest hole was about 1cm long, and stretched to about 5mm wide at 80psi. Only the puncture strip stopped the innertube from ballooning out of it… Shoe Goo holds it together nicely and can be spread out on the inside to create a smoothe inner surface.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Thanks all.

avdave2

no_eyed_dear have you read this

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Best way to repair a small hole in a tyre?

Replace it.

alexpalacefan

avdave2, nice link, thanks pal

A

hora
    Free Member

Aye, replace it. If you use it off road and it decides to let go elsewhere etc your walking.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Ditto avdave2 – great link! I'm completley converted.. I might actually also start using tyres bigger than 1.95 inch now! 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have seen that data before avdave – but it seems to contradict my own experience. ( measured on the seatofthepantsometer for huge accuracy)

those tests were only conducted at low speed climbing – I wonder if the sidewall flex at higher speeds absorbs more energy than the savings shown in that paper?

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Avdave that was on here a while ago and is complete rubbish unfortunately!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best way to repair a small hole in a tyre?’ is closed to new replies.