• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best way to remove a tick head
  • DT78
    Free Member

So just noticed I have what looks like the remains of a tick attached to the inside of my elbow, think I must of accidently scratched the body off, or it is really small (about 3-4mm across)

How should I remove it, what else do I now need to worry about…. googling is worrying me….

Tebbalot
    Free Member

I can tell you that setting fire to it with a lighter is not the best idea, burning hair stinks 🙂

You can get tick remover tweezers or alternatively I’ve been told if you smear vaseline over it the tick starts suffocating and pulls itself out.

If it is just the head left I guess you’ll just have to gouge it out, but hopefully there’ll be a better way!

jota180
    Free Member

Big Bowie knife and suck

It worked in all the films I saw as a kid – that was for snakebite though 🙂

spando
    Free Member

You will just have to remove the head with a clean needle. Nothing to worry about, I have had loads of ticks been tested for lyme when I’m worried. The sign to look out for is a large ring type rash around the bite. A tick should be removed with in 24 hours to minimise the chance of disease transition. Even if you do get ill the main thing is that you are aware of the risks and can get treatment quickly. Most people who have had long term illness have not realised it was caused by a tick therefore they may have not been diagnosed for lyme or treated accordingly. So to sum up don’t worry, check yourself regularly and be aware of symptoms. A natural insect repellent works well.

druidh
    Free Member

spando – Member
    You will just have to remove the head with a clean needle. Nothing to worry about, I have had loads of ticks been tested for lyme when I’m worried. The sign to look out for is a large ring type rash around the bite

The ring is not guaranteed to appear.

zippykona

When my mum had a tick on her back her doctor sent her to the vet.

Kryton57

I thought the title implied you were Irish and had a hangover.

Ah, my coat’s over there…..

DT78
    Free Member

Well looking closer it turns out its not just it’s head as it;s legs are wiggling around, just a very small one. People have been telling me to go to a walk in centre to get it removed and not to try digging it out myself

Google tells me vaseline isn’t a great idea and causes them to burrow deeper.

wallop

Do not put Vaseline on it! If it is intact, you need to get it off in a way which does not cause it to vomit. If you can get to a vets, they will sell you some tick remover tools for about £4.

druidh
    Free Member

If you don’t have – and know how to use – the correct tool to remove it, get it done professionally. do not attempt to smother it, dig it out, drown it, poison it etc etc etc

jonba
    Free Member

It’s pulling out a tick, not open heart surgery. Pair of tweezers, grab it be the head as close to the skin as possible (you will have to press into the skin with the tweezers) and pull it out.

Tool does make it easier though.

snowpaul
    Free Member

Tom o twister – 4 quid – DONT vaseline / burn it etc – can use a cotton lasso or tweezers BUT I would suggest a vet – doictors are very hit n miss re ticks

I have had lyme tests too – ticks arent to be taken lightly

http://www.bada.org.uk and lyme disease action are worthy reads on the web

paul

DT78
    Free Member

Ok wife got it with tweezers, tough little bugger. Off to worry myself silly by reading about lymes now. How do you get tested?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best way to remove a tick head’ is closed to new replies.