Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Best way to polish up and old raw finish alloy frame?
  • binners

Morning all

Yesterday a mate got given a bike by his father-in-law that had been sat in the shed for an eternity. A quick bit of research shows it to be a retro-tastic 1998 Saracen Power Trax Pro. Very nice it must have been too in 1998. So its being enlisted for pub/hack bike duties.

In compulsory bloke fashion we immediately took it apart. Like you do. Everything’s now greased and oiled, new cables, brake blocks, tubes, grips and stuff.

But the raw finish alloy frame is quite badly oxidised.

Whats the best way of getting this looking all gleaming and shiny then folks? Your advice please oh wise ones…

Slogo
    Free Member

rubbing compound and some elbow grease. then a polish with brasso

need to see pics before and after too!

chriswilk
    Free Member

I used Autoglym (sp?) on my old Zaskar.
    Now it’s mirror like, but be warned, it gets addictive. I spent far too many evenings cleaning up those little hidden bits you never see.

I wondered about a lacquer once it was done, but had been told that it was not worth it as it would tarnish through and make it impossible to re-polish.

Lasted almost a year now with no real tarnishing.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Its quite possible the frame is lacquered, try some nitromors first. Loads of way to polish after that. If it is lacquered I’d go:

Nitromors
    Clean with Scotchbrite pads or brillo pad with water.
    Any heavy scratches can be removed with fine emery cloth/paper, you’ll never polish them out.
    Polish, Autosol or Meguiars NXT are good. Use a soft cloth and follow the polish instructions. Go up and down the tubes like your milking a cow.
    You can lacquer or clear powder coat afterwards this will add protection but will prevent further polishing when needed.

binners

Thanks very much folks. Much appreciated. I think the frame is laquared, so Nitromors may well be required

And Slogo – I will indeed take some before and after shots. Watch this space….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Best way to polish up and old raw finish alloy frame?’ is closed to new replies.