• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by core.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best way to line a van (stealth camper-ish)?
  • core

My car lease is up this month, a mate has a little combo van he’s looking to move on, low miles, good nick, reasonable money, so I’m thinking of buying it to get me through the winter at least, but in reality, if I like it, probably a lot longer term.

I’ll be using it to cart the bikes around, go shooting in and maybe sleep in a bit.

Floor I can ply and fit some vinyl flooring or similar easily enough, and I’ve ply lined panel vans with my Dad before, but was wanting something nicer (quiter and plusher) on the panels.

What’s recommended, DIY and cheap(ish), have got all the tools and sick skillz etc already……

My initial thought was dynamat or similar on actual panels followed by ply or similar panels lined with fabric/carpet of some sort????

Am well aware of condensation issues etc, but it really would be an odd occasion to camp in it, might make a fold out bed to go on one side.

Marin
    Free Member

Stuffed my panels with plastic recycled loft insulation. Ply and carpeted on top of ply. No issues but have sun roof for ventilation.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I bought a Kangoo Maxi earlier this year which has a full bulkhead. I thought I’d only sleep in it a few times a year so thought I leave it with just the ply lining to start with, and see how I got on (having heard everyone harping on about condensation). I’ve already used it way more than I was expecting (including a week and a bit in Scotland)The coldest I slept in it was 4*C and it’s been great. A couple of sections of the roof have a light misting in the mornings, but not enough for droplets too form.

It’s my only vehicle, so I mainly have it empty or just have my bike in it and a box with my riding stuff. I’ve always preferred basic cars, and with the bulkhead, the van is at least as quiet as my last car (a C1!). Not having built in beds and stuff means I can still use it as a van if needed.

I use a fisherman’s bed chair thing to sleep on – it’s very comfortable and I can shove a couple of storage boxes underneath when going away.

I think if you’re going to use your van like this, you won’t need much insulation. A mate who has a much nicer, insulated and carpeted van (without a bulkhead), says all the carpet traps the moisture from wet bike/rider/stuff, so in the winter the van steams up all the time.

PS Vans are great – I should have got one years ago.

twang
    Free Member

Stick some sonic gold laminate floor insulation on the metalwork before you ply it, it’s cheap and easy to do AND you’ll be off your tits if you keep your doors shut when glueing, win win!
    Definately do the floor too, gets cold under foot in a van, even through ply and carpet.

themilo
    Free Member

Celotex the floor, ply and vinyl. I’d probably use loft insulation on the sides, ply and carpet it with the “magic” stretchy carpet stuff. Possibly with a layer of the silver bubble insulation if there’s room.

sharkattack

I started with this…

It’s a fraction of the cost of Dynamat. It just adds mass to the large flat panels and stops them vibrating like a big drum. It drastically cut down road noise and while it’s not real insulation, it’s not as cold to the touch as steel.

Then I stuffed all my nooks and crannies with this…

Recycled plastic bottles. Cheap and easy to use. Doesn’t absorb moisture and not as itchy as traditional stuff.

I also found something similar to this at the tip…

I put it under the ply floor and it stopped it from banging up and down and making a racket when I’m moving around in it.

Then I ply lined it and glued carpet on. 5 years later it still looks presentable.

bowglie

I used some material that I had knocking about, and have been v.impressed with sound and heat insulation. I put down a layer of automotive carpet underlay/soundproofing, then screwed down some wooden cross ribs (25x38mm roofing laths) and, between the ribs, some slabs of 25mm celotex – topped off with ply and vinyl floor.

core

Thanks all, just what I was after. Borrowing the van for a few days this week, I’ll have to see how I get on, but all sounds promising.

bowglie

Oh, forgot to mention. We tried various materials for insulating the sides and roof of our van, but by far the best is the self adhesive foam soundproof/insulation we got online from Kiravans. It’s a bit pricey, but we thought it was worth every penny. Quick & easy; No messing with stinky glue – just cut to size, peel the backing off and…bam, it’s on. It turned our rattley tin can sounding Transit into quite a civilised vehicle:)

bill-oddie
    Free Member

I went with the foil bubble wrap stuff you can get from wickes / B and Q
    Doesn’t take up as much space inside the van. some people say its not great but our van is plenty warm – if insulated any more it’d be a nightmare to sleep in during the summer!

For the walls and ceiling I used cheapo indoor cladding.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Softwood-Timber-Traditional-Cladding-8x94x1800mm/p/9000033782

Because you fit it piece by piece its a bit easier than repeateldy re-shaping a big peice of ply – you get all the main areas done which is just a case of meaure and cut to the right lengths. Next take a dremel in the van with you to do the edge pieces and just trim / sand down to fit.

I fastened mine direct to the metal roof beams by drilling holes and then using fur tree clips. (that’s how minibuses etc typically have their interior linings fitted so don’t expect it to cause any problems)
    Backed the cladding with foam mounting tape to prevent rattling. I’ve seen others fasten in wooden frames to the side of the roof beams with self taps and then fasten cladding to that – you get less headroom with that approach though!

burko73

I used sheepswool insulation on my old t4. hemp battens for under the floor/ roof lining.

allfankledup

If you have a look at places like vanbitz, they do precut plywood lining kits..

core

Holy thread resurrection….

I’ve finally got myself a van, a 2009 Caddy swb. It’s a good startng point, really tidy cab, ply lined, roof lining in rear and rear ply’d and carpeted.

Has a bulkhead, so if I plan to sleep in it that’ll have to go, which will necessitate cutting it up or getting some blanking panels from a Caddy maxi-life to seal up the back of the cab trim.

First plan is to dynamat or similar the panels, then insulate with that plastic recycled stuff, then carpet ply and re-fix.

Pics to follow!

Edit: should mention the Combo I nearly bought off my mate – that didn’t come off, I was having a trial/loan of it for a few weeks after my car went back and managed to write it off. 😳 First major driving error/incident in 12 years. Luckily he’s very understanding and has been very good about it all, I’m mortified.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best way to line a van (stealth camper-ish)?’ is closed to new replies.