Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Best way to learn guitar
  • warton
    Free Member

I’m currently thinking about starting to play the guitar again (I had one in my twenties, could strum a bit, nothing special). Whats the collectives views on the best way of learning?

I’m thinking about classical guitar, with lessons to give me a really good grounding in reading music and technique. From there, after a few years I could buy acoustic, electric (that’s what my friend did in his teens and he is an incredible player)

Or, would it be best to buy an acoustic, and again get lessons, or learn from a book / online?

ChrisHeath
    Tom-B
    Free Member

Get lessons. Classical guitar is a great way to start to establish and good technique and musicality etc however, if you want to learn acoustic guitar start on that, likewise if electric guitar is your preferred choice….

As with everything on stw, you will get some great advice and some shite advice! Justin guitar seems very well regarded. …can’t say that I’ve looked at it myself, I’ve been a guitar teacher for 9 years though.

warton
    Free Member

Tom, I do like the idea of learning classical, but I’m maybe a little put off by the (seemingly) high complexity of it….

camo16
    Free Member

with lessons to give me a really good grounding in reading music and technique

Um, it’s a guitar, right? You don’t need to read music – ever!

That’s why you choose a guitar over, say, an oboe.

I’ve been playing for 20 years ish. Never felt the need to read music. Tab is your pal here.

I’d say go classical if that’s your thing. Otherwise, get a low action steel string acoustic… which is the best all rounder IMO.

Plus, nylon strings are a pain in the nuts to restring.

themilo
    Free Member

Depends what your aim is IMO. If, like me, you just enjoy singing along to some old Oasis or whatever then I really wouldn’t bother with the learning to read sheet music route. I played the violin for years and years and I really don’t think that it helped when I came to pick up a guitar. Camo16 is right – tabs are all you need in the main.

Just watch out for that bastid F chord…………..

camo16
    Free Member

Just watch out for that bastid F chord…………..

Easy when you’re finger picking, thumb on first fret etc. 😉

I got lessons from an old folk hippy dude – and I still do loads of 70s stylee finger picking as a result.

OP – find yourself an old folk hippy dude! They’re the best teachers. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

From a fellow beginner … you need something to inspire you – eg a style of music, certain songs – then you need to find a good teacher who also loves that music/style – then you need to practice and in my experience like many things it’s best to practice little and often. IMO books and online stuff etc help a bit but are far behind the human interaction you get with an actual teacher sat with you.

FYI my teacher was the manager of the bar next to where I lived, he used to play in the evenings for customers, it was easy to stop in early or be around late 🙂 . Top online tip I got was to buy a guitar stand, that way the beauty of the guitar added to the room and it demanded (begged) to be picked up and played vs being hidden away in a case in a corner.

Good luck

warton
    Free Member

cheers all, there’s a cool independent guitar shop just down the street from me, who also teaches, I think I’ll have a chat with him too

jimster
    Free Member

cheers all, there’s a cool independent guitar shop just down the street from me, who also teaches, I think I’ll have a chat with him too

That’s probably the best bet.

Definately recommend Justin Guitar too, he has some good exercises on there that do make a difference and video’s supporting the lessons.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Best way to learn guitar’ is closed to new replies.