Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best way to heat a conservatory (under £150)
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Ok so an existing conservatory
    Extending central hearing into it iod installing underfloor heating sn’t an option for a couple of reasons
    No full height walls
    What’s the cheapest in terms of running costs (electric) heater (ideally fixed but freestanding considered) that can fit under the windows
    Don’t really want to spend more than £150 must have a thermostatic timer

Looking to keep the chill off most of the day to and have it warm for an hour or so in the evening as we use it as the dining room, it’s not a room we sit in for hours every evening

It currently has a small wall mounted electric heater that doesn’t seem to kick much out, complimented by an oil filled heater that I would like to replace with something more permanent/more attractive

eddie11
    Free Member

Heating a conservatory? i think the accepted way is to get brazier in there, throw all your money on it and set it alight. Or an even quicker way is to open all the windows and just throw the money out, unlit.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yeah thanks for that useful,contribution

codybrennan
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

Is it all glass and plastic walls ?They just don`t retain heat so will be expensive .

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We took a radiator out of the living room & put it in the conservatoire ( :-))
    just extending the pipework through the wall, about 6′ of pipe required. We also have an oil filled radiator that cost £15 in case it gets proper chilly.

wrecker
    Free Member

£150 won’t get you anything worth having.
    The only thing which comes to mind is a cheapy b and q type pregassed push fit heat pump if anyone still does them. It’ll be a bit shit.

iain1775
    Free Member

At £195 per m2 that is more than slightly over budget Cody!
    And looks kind of horrible
    Brick walls, plastic roof
    I was looking at something like this (which I appreciate is a little more than £150)
    http://www.conservatoryheating.com/acatalog/sunrise-radiant-panel-heater.html
    I know it’s going to cost more than central heating as it’s not as efficient but to put a rad in there would be a big expensive and messy job and mainly only want to protect from frost but have something that is capable of kicking out enough heat to make it comfortable to sit in for a few hours occasionally (Christmas Day for example)
    Eventually we will probably replace the roof or turn it into a proper room rather than a conservatory but that’s a year or two away

RustySpanner

spacemonkey

Knowing how bloomin freezing our conservatory (brick and DG) is in winter with no heating on I’d expect very little comfort for £150. Thankfully we have 4 rads in there that get it proper warm in no time. Need to find a way (better quality TRVs throughout the house?) to better manage distribution of heat though.

tymbian
    Free Member

Insulate and plasterboard the ceiling.

takisawa2

As above. My brother did that & it made a huge difference.
    Need to be careful with damp above it though.
    I think he put a little vent/grill either side in the end, to get some air moving through it.

mattbee

Dehumidifier is more beneficial than heater ime.
    We have the dehum on along with a small oil fired rad and our conservatory gets warm enough to sit in in the winter. Although not as warm as rest of house.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sorry Iain, never noticed that was the m2 price!

iain1775
    Free Member

Haha yeah it would work out about 10 times my budget!
    Turbo trainer is best idea so far, all the Xmas day guests could take it in turns 🙂

Dehumidifier not a bad shout actually

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Portable gas heater? Not particularly cheap to run but they throw out a very good heat, should keep you toasty through dinner
    http://www.calor.co.uk/shop/in-the-home/portable-gas-heaters.html

trail_rat
    Free Member

portable gas heater for when your in there – or a halogen heater – heat you not the space/glass ….

then a set of propper outdoor doors between it and the house for when its not in use.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

We use a a Delonghi Dragon 3kw oil filled rad. has a good thermostat & timer. Starts off at full whack for a while but soon reduces power to 2 kw or so and then ticks over. good enough to keep it warm in winter but it’s never going to be efficient. we did fit a heat reflecting roof & the best glass so it is about as efficient as it’s going to be. We do have a wet rad in there now set low though which provides background warmth when the heating is on.
    Use ours as a dining room too.

IHN

My mum and dad have got an electric panel/fan heater in their conservatory. Pretty unobtrusive, works fine. It’s only a small conservatory though, 10ft square-ish.

MrSmith
    Free Member

A lot of condensation with a calor gas heater, your room needs to be well ventilated.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You could temproarily attaching some insulation to the ceiling e.g. polystyrene tiles, and covering up with some material for aesthetics, in an attempt to retain some of the heat in the room long enough to actually benefit the occupants. For most people I know with concervatories, they are a no-go zone when its really cold so I think your options are limited. I don’t have a conservatory (I decided to build an extension instead) but isn’t plumbing in a radiator against building regs and also risking pipes freezing and bursting if it gets really cold? Boilers placed in garages have to have a frost stat on them to fire them up when it gets cold to prevent pipes freezing, so if its a risk in a garage where some of the walls have some half decent insulation, its got to be a risk in a conservatory.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those sunrise ones you have linked to and it seems to do the job ok. I only turn it on when required and leave the thermostat down really low if the weather turns really cold.

iain1775
    Free Member

Cheers muddy_bum
    Think I’m going to go with one of these, bit bigger than the one I linked to earlier
    http://www.conservatoryheating.com/acatalog/sunburst-radiant-panel-heater.html
    Combined with the digital programmer
    More than I wanted to spend but I reckon it should do the job and seems to only get good reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunburst-Radiant-Panel-Heater-2kw/dp/B001GM5BL4#customerReviews

k-sugden
    Free Member

We also use a delongi dragon works well we have both roof and window blinds which also help to control the temp.

Flaperon

Need to find a way (better quality TRVs throughout the house?) to better manage distribution of heat though.

Honeywell Evohome.

pedropete

Somewhat over budget, but long term this has got to be the answer to an unusable conservatory:
    http://www.guardianconservatoryroofs.co.uk

King-ocelot
    Free Member

We have a dehumidifier £70 second hand off eBay and a delonghi dragon oil radiator thing £60 off eBay and some of those humidity catchers that are a few quid from staples. I really don’t want to heat it but occasionally we have parties or I use it for teaching. The dragon was useless so I sold it and got 2 halgon heaters which were much better. The secret is to keep it ventilated and dry by taking the humidity out. To be honest it’s fighting a losing battle as it’s just not built to retain heat in the winter. My solution would fit in your budget but I’d spend as much of your £150 on dehumidifier and just get the heater(s) from b&m for about £10

My MIL has a wooden frame conservatory with underground heating and a stone floor, she also uses a dehumidifier, It’s the only conservatory I know of that’s comfortable all year round.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Make four of these? –

[video]http://youtu.be/b11dqKJrulk[/video]

spooky_b329

No idea on cost, but have you considered an air conditioning unit? Obviously they heat as well as cool, provide blown air heating which will allow quick heat up time so you can avoid having to keep the conservatory at a lower heat level when not occupied. Apparently more powerful and more efficient than halogen, but then I did read that on a potentially biased air conditioning website!

I think they also lower humidity so solving two issues in one. Or three if you plan to use it in summer occasionally.

jamsie
    Free Member

Here is a few to choose from
    ADAX

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too use a Delonghi Dragon heater with thermostatic control and timer but now it’s getting cooler I have it set so that when the doors opened or closed it’s the same temperature as the rest of the house…about 18-19C. That costs around £100 a year to run so doesn’t matter what time of the day or night or what the weather is outside you can sit out there in a t shirt and shorts.
    It does help a hell of a lot if the concrete floor pad has 6″ of insulation under it plus insulating liner for the laminate flooring and check the draught proof stripping in the eaves area to reduce unecessary draughts.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best way to heat a conservatory (under £150)’ is closed to new replies.