Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • best way to go about selling a possible building plot?
  • ed34
    Free Member

theres some land attached to our house that we dont really use and could maybe be used to build a property on, depending on planning permission.

So whats the best way to go about selling this land, is land normally sold with some plans for a house and planning permission? Or is there a way of finding out if permission will probably be given before an architect starts any work? I just want to get it sold as simply as possible.

thanks

sandwicheater

You start off with stealth adds 😉

Where is it out of interest?

Sorry, i’ve not been of any use, but been on the lookout for a plot for a while.

nickjb
    Free Member

Land with planning sells for a lot more than land without. I go to a few auctions and IME any land sold without planning doesn’t have planning for a reason. You can have a friendly chat with local planners at the council, they sometimes charge for this. They will likely be very non committal but you should get a good steer. You can also download the local planning guidelines from the council website. These days they a need a reason to refuse so if it is a sensible location, already surrounded by development with reasonable access you should get it.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Defo sell it with planning in place, as it will be worth a fair bit more…. (A large risk for a developer will have been taken out of the equation) … Shouldn’t cost you too much just bit of time and effort.

Of course if you can raise the money yourself building the actual prop and selling/renting it out will raise more money …. but defo much more time/effort.

Good luck

loddrik
    Free Member

Linger around outside the Tory party conference.

ed34
    Free Member

so when you see plots for sale and it says eg ‘with planning for 2 bed house’ does this mean that they have had full architects plans drawn for a house that have been submitted and approved?

Or is there an intermediate type of planning permission that is like ‘yeah you can put a house on that as long as its reasonably sensible’?! and then you go and get an architect to design it?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Talk to local estate agents, they will almost certainly have “arrangements” with local builders. Be aware speak to many as agents will try and get deals with theirnpet builders as they are guarnteed estate agent fee from sale at least.

Plot will be worth much more with planning and its easier for you to get as you won’t appeal and you can arrange any access etc required.

I bought a house 15 years ago and owner had had a hiuse built next door, sold himself some extra land (old property to new) and of course not objected. Another mate built a house opposite him having bought the original property from a developer saying he wouod never agree to developer building what he wanted but do do so himself once he bought it.

If you sell with/without planning you can get a covenent which pays you – say – 10% of profits if its developed

OP yes they have submitted fairly specific plans

nickjb
    Free Member

so when you see plots for sale and it says eg ‘with planning for 2 bed house’ does this mean that they have had full architects plans drawn for a house that have been submitted and approved?

Or is there an intermediate type of planning permission that is like ‘yeah you can put a house on that as long as its reasonably sensible’?! and then you go and get an architect to design it?You don’t need detailed drawings for a planning approval but it will need to be a specific development/design. There are some things you need to have (Current and proposed drawings, site plan) and the drawings need to be to a certain standard and show certain features but its a long way from a detailed construction drawing. Have a look on the local planning portal and download a few approved plans and you’ll see the standard. Quite a few hand drawn sketches in there but obviously more detailed thought out plans have a better chance of approval. You can always put something in and if they want more detail they’ll ask for it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Or could you get the funds to build on it yourself and sell a property – you would make more money (albeit with more hassle) and if you are planning on staying where you are, at least you get to design a house that has least impact on your lifestyle.

mark90
    Free Member

As above with planning it’s worth lots more, with property lots more again.

A semi rural plot near me was split into 3, knocking down the original property and out buildings. All plots had planning for identical large 5 bed detached ‘executive’ properties with big double garage etc. One of the plots, the large one, was put up for sale at IIRC £500k. Two of the houses on the unsold plots appear to be nearing completion, one has just today gone on the market for £1.8M

wrightyson
    Free Member

Few years back the father in law bought some neighbouring gardens. We opened it into one and then I got an architect round. We applied for outline planning got it and sold his 250k bungalow (valued at the time) for 500k. Outline planning imho is better as it’s less specific and can allow the final purchaser to tweak the plans going forward. I’d suggest full detailed planning will put some off as they may have other ideas and have to resubmit etc.
    Fine example is a lovely local plot I’ve been watching for a while that’s fell through several times as the detailed planning is for a 2 bed when the plot most certainly lends itself to a 3 bed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Mine and neighbour’s houses have been approached often about developing the large gardens to stick houses on them, but as my neighbours have discovered… council says no.

I don’t think developers were looking to buy the land though, they wanted cash to develop it. Would be crazy to just buy the land as they’d now be owners of worthless scrap land.

Likewise I can’t sell my place saying the garden has development potential and then the buyer sues for misselling as they can’t get planning permission to build on it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You can apply for outline permission with all matters reserved which basically only needs a location plan and some very brief details of what you plan to build – two story house with four bedrooms and detached garage for example. This establishes the principle. Later on you complete a reserved matters application for which you will need detailed plans drawing up. Sell it with outline permission then the buyer can do the rest. However, the price for outline is based on the site area whilst full planning is per dwelling so you’d need to do the sums, depending on the plot size it might be cheaper to go full now even with the additional cost of drawing up plans.

russ295
    Free Member

I bought a plot with full plans on it. I changed it slightly, I didn’t have reapply, just a variation application.
    I’d get full plans done before I sold it, but then I wouldn’t sell it if it was passed!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘best way to go about selling a possible building plot?’ is closed to new replies.