Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Best way to end a conversation on Football?
  • paddy0091
    Free Member

They know I don’t follow football 🙄

being a dick would be responding with “shut up you boring git” every time.

RustySpanner

I feel the same way about Coronation Street and Eastenders.

However, I don’t feel the need to go onto Internet forums and start threads to bleat about how annoyed I am. 😀

paddy0091
    Free Member

oh ok, I’ll carry on wasting 20minutes of everyday hearing about football.

Houns

I went for a job interview once, was only for a temp job, the 3 laddish pally blokes interviewing me were more interested in talking about football and finding out who I supported. After saying I didn’t like football they continued to talk about it, they didn’t ask me anything relating to the job so I just stood up and walked out

RustySpanner

You could just go and talk to someone else.
    Or read a book.

Or do one of a million other things that don’t cause you the intense physical pain that being excluded from a conversation obviously does.

Or you could post irrelevant, whingy posts on the internet that make you come accross as as a bit sad and needy. 🙂

Houns

In other situations I respond with either :

A. Don’t have a clue about it
    B. I’m not a chav, I don’t watch it
    C. Hate it and everything to do with it
    D. I have no interest in it

joao3v16
    Free Member

You could always get a t-shirt printed

“Please Do NOT Talk To Me About:

– Football
    – Eastenders
    – Coronation Street

Thankyou”

hilldodger
    Free Member

You could always get a t-shirt printed

“I am a self important arrogant prig,
    Please Do NOT Talk To Me About anything that interests you or your intellectually inferior companions:

Thankyou”

speaker2animals

You’d have an easier time convincing Richard Dawkins that God exists than get (what seems like) the vast majority of this country from talking/watching footie endlessly.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Brilliant.

I live with this guy, lodging.

Might just do the T-shirt idea. HA.

Any reason both Hilldodger and Rusty Spoon are gradually becoming so touchy and offended?

Got plenty of reading cheers.

br
    Free Member

A couple of us were out gassing about MTB’s and another friend with us suddenly said:

Shit, now I know what its like for you, when I’m talking about football

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oddly enough, I just had this conversation with a courier:

Him: “What’s your name?”

Me: “Mike.”

Him: “You’re a Tottenham fan.”

Me: “No. I can’t stand football.”

Him: “Yes, me neither but my father made me love it and now I’m trapped.” 😯

hilldodger
    Free Member

Any reason both Hilldodger (and Rusty Spoon) are gradually becoming so touchy and offended?

Nope – neither touchy nor offended 😉
    I just enjoy taking the mick out of people who make such a big point of not liking football, just like “you lot” enjoy taking the mick out of people who do enjoy the sport…..

…now scrum down chaps and grab a fat lad’s ballbag while you’re there 😆

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Ooh. (name footballer) is he the cute one with the nice bum.
    Should work. 😀

RustySpanner

Any reason both Hilldodger and Rusty Spoon are gradually becoming so touchy and offended?

I’m not. 😀

The thought of it obviously excites you though, doesn’t it?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    I’m not.

The thought of it obviously excites you though, doesn’t it?

Ruggerbuggers innit 😆

paddy0091
    Free Member

overwhelmed with excitement.

portlyone

I think there’s a few people on here who got picked last when it came to deciding teams in PE/lunchtime. 😉

paddy0091
    Free Member

@ useless hippy 😆

paddy0091
    Free Member

played for the winning team in a house match once, and scored 😛

lunge

I can’t stand watching or talking about football and hate the whole culture (or lack of) that surrounds it.

However, I have played semi-pro football, still do play to a reasonable standard and was generally one of the first picks at school.

I’m not sure where this puts me in the “hate fooball” scale or what relevence to the thread this is.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Being someone who loves playing footy but only likes watching and talking about it, I can see that some people talk about it far to much and their has to come a time to move the conversation on.

The responses most likely to make me move the conversation on would be something along the lines of : (best responses)

“Im not really into football can we move on”
    “Sorry dude Im a skateboarder/MTBer/etc”
    “The skills needed in football are a bit like MTB/driving/chess/etc because …”
    “Come on we always talk about football”

The responses most likely to wind me up and make we want to talk about football more are : (worst responses)

Any thing with the word “Wendyball” or “Soccer” in
    “Oh brilliant, I love football. Don’t you just love all the sweaty men, running around in their tight shorts!”
    “just tell them ‘football is a game played by idiot’s, and watched by bigger idiot’s’.”
    “now Rugby, there’s a proper sport.”
    “I’m surprised nobody’s yet mentioned that wendyball’s not a sport, just a game”
    “Start talking about how you thought the Patriots were going to win it, but the Giants were deserving winners, and that Eli Manning definitely deserved his MVP award. Then say, “Oh, you’re talking about soccer”.”
    Mentioning Rugby or American Football at all.
    Mentioning Cricket

Funny responses but probably will lead to more football chat are :
    Q. What does FOREST actually mean?
    A. Fear of relegation every saturday teatime!
    “explain the paradox between the illogical and all consuming tribalism of the fan supporting a “club” that has long since become a business focussed on profits and owners or shareholders represented on the field by a (mostly foreign) bunch of mercenaries with no interest or geographical connection with the club”
    “F*** O** you C*** ”

16stonepig
    Free Member

“Please Do NOT Talk To Me About:

– Football
    – Eastenders
    – Coronation Street

Thankyou”

– Mrs Cake…

BigJohn

I find “what team do you play for?” works.

Some people think sport is something you watch on the telly.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m perfectly happy and genuinely interested to talk to anyone about football IF it’s a conversation about a team they play for and/or a match they actually played in …

Squidlord
    Free Member

There’s a guy I’ve been seeing through work for years who’ll sometimes say “I know you’re not interested in football, but I have to tell you about Whaddever FC’s match last weekend…”. Then he gets offended because I’m not even pretending to pay attention.

I think the issue’s not even football. It’s boring bastards with no social skills and no life away from work and Sky Sports.

enfht
    Free Member

Them: which team do you support?

Me: I don’t like football

Them: Well what DO you like then ???!!!

Me: why does every footy supporter immediately ask that question?

Them: der….

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

The best advice i can give you paddy is first thing on monday mornings go and find said employee, and start to tell him about the wet muddy hill you rode around with your dead cool mates,who were all sporting bicycle brakes that cost well over a £100

Explain to him the benefits of a dropper seat post.

Explain to him why one geared bikes are not for girls.

Explain to him the merits of a tapered head tube.

Explain to him that bike tyres are not all equal.

Im sure he will find you quite interesting after listening to that little lot and come seek you out more often.

RustySpanner

enfht – Member

Them: which team do you support?

Me: I don’t like football

Them: Well what DO you like then ???!!!

Me: why does every footy supporter immediately ask that question?

Them: der….

Well, they were obviously responding to your rudeness (ruining their conversation, turning it round to focus on yourself, unwillingness to learn or expand your knowledge base) with politeness by encouraging you to nomimate a topic of conversation.
    To which you responded rudely again, by crudely stereotyping all football fans.

I imagine their silence at the end was simply that they felt embarrassed on your behalf.

HTH 😉

andytherocketeer

Worst of all… isn’t there some world cup championship thing (yet) again this year? Think that’ll be a good opportunity to get out and ride.

Used to share an apartment with some one who was well in to football (well watching on TV). He was convinced he would be able to make me like it. He soon learned that every time he tried to make me like it, it just made me loathe it even more. Now it’s even at the point where if we’ve gone out for a few drinks/food, I’ll be in the seat facing away from the TV, but he can still watch it.

Never watched a game since England-Tunisia. Was a long day with a 3 hour commute and a training course with an extended lunch, so made a good opportunity to catch up on some sleep 🙂

Cougar

You need to talk to people in a language they understand. So for most football fans, as soon as they start droning on, quickly neck six pints of Stella and then punch them hard in the face.

yunki
    Free Member

Best way to end a conversation on Football?

you made your bed you lie in it.. preferably a long way away from me..

unless there is going to be beer and fighting..

in which case I would like to be near enough to partake of the beer and spectate on the fighting..

slimjim78
    Free Member

what is football? do you mean rugby?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

When someone started banging on to me about rugby and how it was a sport for “real men”, I simply stated my preference for proper sport, not thinly disguised homoeroticism and left it at that. There’s no need to be rude.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Did you see that ludicrous display last night?”

“The problem with Arsenal is that they always try to walk it in!”

davidjones15
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences.
    Surely a conversation is an exchange between two people, for you to be having a conversation you must be doing something that encourages it?
    Confused I am.

wors

I think the issue’s not even football. It’s boring bastards with no social skills and no life away from work and Sky Sports.

Some of my mates are like this, a night out with them is like pulling teeth.

AndyP
    Free Member

It appears that the best way to end a conversation about football is to either start a fight, preferably in a beautiful European town square, or to throw cups of faeces into the family enclosure. It’s what football fans do when they don’t want to talk about football any more.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Best way to end a conversation on Football?’ is closed to new replies.