Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Best way to do IOM TT in a day
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’m thinking whether it’s possible to do Senior race day in one, enjoyably. Based in Shrewsbury, short drive to Liverpool airport, could fly there, but not sure how practical it is from the island’s airport on what would be the main event day. Anyone done / do a one-dayer?

ekul
    Free Member

Went over last year, took the ferry from Heysham (about 30-40 mins from Preston where I live) and got the 2:30am ferry which got us to Douglas for half 6am ish. We went as foot passengers and took fold up bikes to get about on. In the end we could have just taken full size bikes as they put it in storage. Did get us priority boarding though! The bikes were great for getting about on and allowed us to see loads more. We spent the day at the start finish line, then got the tram to the top of Snaefell for a while. We eventually got the early evening ferry back and was back in Heysham for midnight. For senior day though I’d imagine it’s already booked up?

Great day! The only downside was that I’d booked the ferry in December, wasn’t aware of the race days and we ended up going on a day with no racing! Still a really nice day though, the island is lovely and everyone was really friendly and we left the bikes locked up for about 4 hours with no issue.

Talking to the man on the ferry on the way home and he was saying that it’s mayhem getting back on seniors day though. Said it can take until the following week to fully empty the island!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Cheers, just looked at ferries and flights and all last ones are around the time of practise or racing, so it’s unlikely you can do it in a day and see any action.

TheWrongTrousers

One problem with trying to do anything in a day is the weather, the racing is every other day and that’s done to allow flexibility. If the weather is rubbish the racing will be postponed until the following day, or even cancelled altogether as the Senior was a few years ago. So if you’re all booked up to go for one day and the weather is pants then you may end up not seeing any racing at all. But it’s brilliant anyway, go for a long as you can.

Rich_s

Few years back I went over on business during practice week. Flymaybe was ok price and hotels available (think I stayed in the Hilton but they’re all shit).

You could potter about during the day and see the speeds (but not the action) during the evening.

Usual problems with weather and wotnot still apply!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Best way to do IOM TT in a day’ is closed to new replies.