Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best way to deter a squirrel from nibbling my nuts…
  • beamers

… which I leave out for the birds?

We have a couple of feeders hanging from the tree in our back garden. They are enclosed in cages to keep the contents beyond the reach of large birds, and supposedly squirrels, but the furry critter can still get his paw on the nuts.

This morning it just sat up in the tree trying to stare me down when I went out to shoo it away.

How do I stop it coming back?

The airsoft thread has made me wonder if a few stings from bb gun pellets might persuade it to stay away.

Black Widow catapault might be an option but I don't want to kill it / cause permanent injury to it if I can help it.

What say the STW massive?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would say there is nothing you can do. Squirrels are remarkably resourceful.

RealMan
    Free Member

Are they hanging down from string/rope?

Could you put something to stop it climbing down the rope?

wwaswas

get a plastic dustbin lid. Run string from tree down through lid and suspend feeder under that. not attractive but it'll work. You can buy posh alternatives that do the same.

nickjb
    Free Member

Agree with deadlydarcy. I've been battling ours for over a year. He doesn't even run away now.

rkk01
    Free Member

3" Magnum Alphamax * should do the trick

* Legalities etc could vary depending on juristiction…

one_bad_mofo

Dust the nuts with Chilli powder. Apparently birds can't taste it but the squirrels really don't like it.

Cougar

Hire sadexpunk's son. ( http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/airsoft-anyone-know-about-it )

In seriousness, physical measures probably won't work, squirrels are devious little buggers. This question came up recently on a BBS I frequent, and following suggestions of squirrel-proof feeders, chilli in the feed (supposedly squirrels dont like it and birds can't detect it), and various other things, the last post from the OP was: "They have defeated me. No more feeders."

wwaswas
    beamers

The dustbin lid approach won't work as due to the dimensions and branch configuration of the tree it will be able to leap from the trunk onto the feeders.

Its an easy leap for a squirrel, previous battles with squirrels in a different location have already proved this.

BB gun then? The little fecker is getting so cocky it would be an engagement at point blank range.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I found an air rifle from the upstairs window worked perfectly – no danger of missing and the pellet going where it shouldn't. Squirrels are vermin and deserve to be treated as such

Drac

Marry it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A mate of mine had a similar issue and I shit you not, the squirrels gnawed off the branch holding the feeder with various protection measures. He came home to find it on the ground…emptied. It remains one of my favourite squirrel stories.

tazzymtb

crocodile posing pouch?

that'll deter the little blighters

mefty
    Free Member

Dustbin lid and hang something between the feeder and the trunk like some give away CDs? I had the same problem but a dustbin lid type solution sorted it – now how to get rid of the parakeets that eat everything in one go.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Shoot it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

in it's cute little face. withan air rifle.

then eat it.

i wouldn't say squirrels are vermin, but they are tasty!

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I have a whole tree of nuts I'd like to stop squirrels getting at – I suppose traps are the only answer and I'll get a meal or two out if it. They taste nutty right?

jond
    Free Member

Search for 'squirrel baffle' – there's various designs around, work a treat 🙂 – essentially variants on wwaswas's dustbin lid

eg
    http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/gardman-squirrel-baffle
    http://www.cheappetproducts.net/Audubon_-_Wrap_around_squirrel_baffler_-_18_inch-UKP94422.html

I use Nut Forts.

They work.
    The squirrels climb all over them and will scavenge the spillage that collects in the tray at the bottom between the inner and outer cages, but they can't get in to the inner cage.
    Their only weakness is that if I don't screw the top on tight, the squirrels will turn the whole thing until it comes unscrewed from the hook and drops on the floor. They still can't get inside though.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

Dibbs
    Free Member

Catch it in a trap then drown it in a water butt.
    Oh, hang on a minute.
    £1500-for-drowning-a-trapped-grey-squirrel

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best way to deter a squirrel from nibbling my nuts…’ is closed to new replies.