Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Best way to cook rump steak?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t really cook steaks at home every often. Any tips so its not like boot leather?

binners

The trick is to cook it for a little bit in the oven first, then introduce it to a frying pan or griddle for the briefest time possible on each side, to colour it, then eat with onion rings, mushrooms a pepper sauce and big chunky chips!

Enjoy!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bollocks forgot the mushrooms!!!!!
    What we talking in the oven binners? In a cooking dish to retain juices? How long? Cooking meat ain’t my thing as you can probably tell!

binners

Not long at all really. Give it five or ten minutes on a low heat in the oven, just to warm it through. Then get your pan really hot and flash fry it really quickly to colour it, but not too long as it’ll toughen up!

Let us know how you get on.

CaptJon
    Free Member

don’t forget the creamed spinach.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Leave it out at room temp for a half hour, rub in some salt then stick it in a smoking hot pan with a little oil for about 1-2mins per side depending on thickness for med rare. (The salt soaks up some of the water released by the meat.)

Splash a bit of red wine into the pan afterwards and let it reduce a bit with the juice from the meat. Pop that on top of your now rested steak.
    Season to taste. Leave the oven alone.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

As above. Hot griddle style pan, steak left at room temp for at least an hour, rub in some oil then season, fry for around 2 minutes each side, rest for 5 minutes, delicious medium rare steak.

grim168
    Free Member

As said oil the meat not the pan.

Bregante

Leave it out at room temp for a half hour, rub in some salt then stick it in a smoking hot pan with a little oil for about 1-2mins per side depending on thickness for med rare. (The salt soaks up some of the water released by the meat.)

Splash a bit of red wine into the pan afterwards and let it reduce a bit with the juice from the meat. Pop that on top of your now rested steak.

100%

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I prefer to put some butter on the steak before wrapping up in tinfoil to make some juices.

samuri
    Free Member

Let the meat reach room temperature and rub some salt into it
    Get a pan up to the temperature of the sun.
    Drop the steak onto the pan, do three press ups, turn the steak over. Three more press ups and it’s ready to eat.

If the queen is coming or something, let it rest a bit before eating it.

Coyote
    Free Member

Jon, you really need your own TV cookery show. 🙂

poonprice
    Free Member

Leave it to get to room temp.

Heat frying pan or griddle pan till smoking hot, with no oil.

Just before cooking, oil and season the steak

Slap it in the pan and leave it on one side, once it’s started to colour, flip it.

Done….

Take steak out of the pan and place on a plate and cover in foil for a few minutes to rest.. This will make the steak 10x better…

trevron73
    Free Member

Pop it in a sealed bag put in water @48c for 40 mins then take out da bag and bar mark it on a very hot grill both sides – rest for 5 mins on aplate carve and serve BOOM – michelin star steak DONE serve wit chips and bearnaise sauce mmmmmmmmm

SBrock
    Free Member

NO SALT

it dries it out

convert

The oven does have a role – to warm the plate. It’s in the pan for so little time it’s not that hot so a cold plate acts like a heat sink and you end up with a cold steak in no time.

Hankering for a steak now…. And to think I was still going through my veggie phase 12 months ago.

edhornby

as the others have said, room temperature meat, oil the steak not the pan – get the pan really really smoking hot

Drac

But I don’t bother with oil, I have started putting a little butter in the pan when the steak is just about done and flipping the steak over for a a few seconds to let each side cremate a bit more.

sunnrider
    Free Member

If you have a clean pan or griddle, then leave out the oil but the average well-used domestic frying pan will need it.

Either that or enjoy flaky black bits of teflon,ceramic etc.

Crag
    Free Member

Wrighty, take a bow son. Seems you’re having quite a weekend.

higthepig
    Free Member

Mrs higthepig:
    Cut its horns off,
    Wipe its arse,
    Put it on a plate*

*you may warm the plate slightly

Me:
    Same as pebblebeach.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

BBQ, well it just worked for a ribeye

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s been a pretty ace weekend! Thanks for all the tips re the steak, I’m ashamed to say I bottled it and overdid it by a good minute! Still tasty tho!! Just gotta find a cheap hotel thats not a sub plot from a tarantino movie now to compliment the free hard rock tickets!
    Happy Father’s Day fellas 8)

tinybits
    Free Member

Season with salt and pepper, cook as above, serve with garlic butter melting on top. Delicious.

Edric64
    Free Member

Rump steak is for the dog feed it to him raw

sharkbait
    Free Member

After the last ‘how to cook a steak’ thread, even though I thought I knew how to cook a steak, I used the generally approved method (room temp, oil steak, season, red hot pan, 2 mins each side, rest 4 mins) and it was lovely.
    Even MrsSB said how nice it was and that we should have it more often!
    Just me for tea last night so steak, chips, baby tomatoes & onions – fantastic 🙂
    Ribeye for me though every time.

portlyone

Ribeye and griddle pan +1

Oven would only be used if you have a thick chunk of beef or you’re cooking for a few dozen.

bigrich

if you ever get chance, try one of these: http://www.steakstones.com/

you cook your meat on a red hot lump of stone, at the table. awsome.

ransos
    Free Member

Yep for the room temp, oiled & seasoned steak, and blisteringly hot pan. Don’t forget that the steak will continue to cook a little when you let it rest. So because I like mine medium rare, I cook it rare in the pan.

I prefer sirloin to rump, preferably a nice thick piece so it can be cooked red in the middle and caramelised on the outside.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Mince, mix with raw egg and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Eat 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

Hungry now… 🙁

ransos
    Free Member

Mince, mix with raw egg and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Eat

Tried it once. It was minging.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

A nice heavy cast iron pan is useful to get things super hot. What I like to do while the steak is resting….use the same pan you cooked the steak in, fry some mushrooms, garlic and chilli, add a good glug of rum then a good splurge of double cream and reduce down for a few minutes for the best creamy mushroom sauce ever.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Best way to cook rump steak?’ is closed to new replies.