Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Best way to compress a JPG for emailing.
  • pacemaker
    Free Member

I have to email several photo's to someone, through my hotmail account, this has a limit of 10mb for attachments.

The smallest jpg file is 16mb.

How can i do this? advice appreciated.

grumm
    Free Member

You could just use sendspace.com – 16mb seems enormous for a jpeg though.

I guess it depends what they are gonna use the pics for, printing or just looking at etc?

lodious
    Free Member

If your using Windows, you can right click > email to recipient, then choose to compress the picture.

pacemaker
    Free Member

16mb is big,
    i dont want to lose any quality as it is going to be for a 40"x30" poster.

I tried the right click, but it gave me the option to resize the photo not compress it.

phinbob

But .jpg is already compressed, and you won't get it much smaller using compression technology.

You could use one of the compression programs available to break each file into fragments and send them in separate mails or use photo editing software to save the pictures at a lower resolution or smaller size.

clubber
    Free Member

As above, jpegs are already compressed so unless you use greater compression which will lose quality, you can't really shrink it much.

There are plenty of file share tools out there which will allow you to upload big files like this to it so that your friend can access it.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+file+share

Or as a real bodge, cut the picture into two halves and email them in separate emails and then the recipient can join them together again.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i dont want to lose any quality as it is going to be for a 40"x30" poster.

in which case you don't want to compress it!

pacemaker
    Free Member

I thought as much, i will have to put it on cd and post it to them.

Thanks for the advice.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Use winrar to zip it and then break down the zip file into smaller parts OR burn it onto a CD and post it?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Could you send them a high res pdf, they should be able to print from this. But you don't want to 'make file size smaller' if its for printing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Send it via a web system such as the one above or DropSend etc.

There are loads out there – I hav esent files of 100mb + many times without problem. And it's free for occasional use.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Yousendit.com free upto 100mb

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Even for your 40" poster, I'm sure you could get away with half that. Try reducing the jpg further and see what you loose. I recon you won't tell any difference, especially if at the other end it's going to be corrupted anyway by that ancient "printing" technology stuff.

duffmiver
    Free Member

just download winrar. save it as an archive split into 2 files.

clubber
    Free Member

Good point. Find out how many dpi it's going to be printed at and then match the resolution to it.

uplink
    Free Member
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Ask the printer if they have an ftp site you can upload the file to.

grumm
    Free Member

Or just use sendspace (free up to 300mb) like I said in the first response 😉

GrahamS

Just upload them, without re-compressing them, to http://www.rapidshare.com/
    then email him the link to download them.
    (free and no registration required)

Simples.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or copy it all onto single-sided, single-density floppy disks in parts then crawl over broken glass carrying them all to the printers.

Just use yousendit, dropsend or whatever file upload site you wish to – it is so easy a dead person could do it!!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Best way to compress a JPG for emailing.’ is closed to new replies.