Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best way to buy this car?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Wife looking at changing her car at some point in next 6 months. She probably looking at a Golf R, probably on PCP. Is it better to buy a new one or go to a main dealer for a 12-18 months old one? In terms of lower monthly payments.

Is there another way to buy? Don’t really want to lease as heard a few horror stories come hand back time.

thenorthwind

Find someone selling one 200 miles away, transfer them a large sum of money and then ask where your car is on the forum in 9 months. On no account talk to them. HTH.

😀

uwe-r
    Free Member

Arrange loan based on what you want to pay for the car / repay monthly.

Go to the dealer with cash, don’t buy the first one straight away, ring round a few and ask them to do you a better deal.

alibongo001

The golf R is subject to some amazing deals periodically – I would keep an eye on the pistonheads “best leasing deals” thread and jump on the first deal that I thought was worthwhile from a company that I had heard of!

If you go second hand, unless you have a great source of loan capital I think you would spend a lot more 0 depending on mileage I have seen some very low lease costs around £260 per month

Worth going to the dealer with a specific offer to see if they can beat too!

robowns
    Free Member

If you actually intend to buy the car, obviously used will be cheaper.

bensales
    Free Member

Used will be cheaper in terms headline figure, but you’ll get a better finance deal on a new one. If you’re set on PCP for either, then get a new one.

willjones
    Free Member

There will be a LOT of these available s/h coming off lease deals soon. Does that mean there will be some bargains to be had?

robowns
    Free Member

Used will be cheaper in terms headline figure, but you’ll get a better finance deal on a new one. If you’re set on PCP for either, then get a new one.

The difference in finance cost will be nowhere near the difference in price.

legend
    Free Member

As mentioned above, Golf R keeps coming up on silly lease deals e.g a couple of months ago R estates were on a £1,500 deposit, £200/month over 24 months with an 8,000 mile a year limit.

simon_g

If you need to finance then deals for new are a lot better, partly due to lower interest rates, partly due to VW “supporting” new sales with finance-based offers (eg. £2000 deposit contribution, etc).

In theory there are loads of earlier cars coming off their 2 year leases and some think there’ll be a flood of cars on the market pushing down used prices. Not a lot of evidence of that just yet.

Cheapest mk7 R on autotrader is £22k – you’ll pay a little more at a VW dealer. Standard VW used finance is at 10.9%.

A brand new one via drivethedeal is £25192 (and another £500 off “loyalty discount” you have a VW in the family), finance at 5.4%, 2 years/20k miles servicing for £149, etc. You’d be mental to buy the used one.

Leasing is worth it though if the deals are good – to balance out your “horror stories” I’m on my second now, first went back 6 months ago, no issues at all. It’s cheap hassle-free motoring if the way of doing it works for you.

hora
    Free Member

Personally it’d be lease. R though? They are supposed to be really numb/ abit meh.

Why not a GTD or GTI?

loddrik
    Free Member

Personally it’d be lease. R though? They are supposed to be really numb/ abit meh.

Why not a GTD or GTI?

Just about every motoring press review I’ve read, Autocar, Evo, Chris Harris etc, can’t praise the R high enough. A significant improvement over the GTi, which is itself a good bit better than the GTD. It’s got to be an R I think. But then it’s her car and I’ll be lucky to drive it 20% of the time anyway. I’ll stick with my Brompton.

simon_g

😆 yes, buy the slow diesel one.

What’s the point of GTI these days? I really don’t get it any more.

simon_g

😆 yes, buy the slow diesel one.

What’s the point of GTI these days? I really don’t get it any more.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I know a number of people with them as a result of the lease steal deal.

No one’s keeping them – or even leasing another.

Without exception the initial zoom zoom was Ace but living with it daily was a chode. Mpg really grated in the end
    With one lad actually buying another car to run daily and keeping the lease r just for weekends.

project
    Free Member

Ask your new freind the footballer to buy it for you………….

nickewen
    Free Member

There are good deals on the Golf R hatch at the moment. I’ve seen 230 in the last few days on a basic 3dr manual on a 9+23 with 8k pa. If lease is no good (e.g. Having to find new deposit every two years) and you want a PCP then spec up exactly as u want, get a quote and use as a lever in negotiating your PCP. You should be able to negotiate the deposit contributions to get the monthlys to hopefully match the lease monthly costs (or near enough). My understanding is that dealers can’t do anything at the back end of the deal (I.e. Residuals and balloon payment as this is fixed based on depreciation models) so the negotiation is on the front end of the deal

I did a load of research into all these amazing lease deals. My understanding from about 12 months ago was that a financial institution approaches a manufacturer and agrees to buy X’000 units and negotiates big discounts based on the volume (that even big dealer networks can’t match). Each of the units in the batch is there allocated to a lease co. That’s why when some random lease company is offering Golf R’s for 230/month there are another 20 lease co’s offering the same. But when the batch is gone it’s gone. I specced up a 335 tourer then rang back the next day and they were gone. Next time I seen them they were +100 a month steeper. So if you want one then get one (or at least get the quote sent to you).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best way to buy this car?’ is closed to new replies.