Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best way to brush up on French quickly?
  • grum
    Free Member

Going on holiday in a couple of months. I know the best way is probably to hire a tutor/native speaker to talk to but that’s unlikely to happen. Any good books/tapes/apps etc? I did it at GCSE and have used it craply a few times since.

Can manage with ordering food etc but would like to be slightly less inept.

carlosg
    Free Member

Just go and pick it up , the majority of French people will just be glad that you’re having a go.After a week or two you’ll be much better.

garage-dweller

It will come back when you use it. After not speaking any for a decade i managed basic conversational again after two days in brussels.

sc-xc

^ I agree. Have a drink, hit the rural bars and give it 20 minutes – you’ll remember the lot.

butcher

I know the best way is probably to hire a tutor/native speaker to talk to but that’s unlikely to happen.

Could try the local Uni. Bound to be some French students wanting to brush up on their English.

leffeboy

If you only have two months and not much time there isn’t a lot you can do. I really like the little yellow Berlitz pocket phrase books for that as you can keep ’em in your pocket and read a few more phrases/bit more grammar each time you go for a dump. You’re more likely to do that than sit down each evening and work your way through a course. If you carry it around once you are there you tend to flick your way through it when drinking a beer

If you want some bike themed French to read then try here http://www.o2bikers.com/newsDetail.asp?newsID=1961

singlespeedstu

Speak English but slower and louder 😉

TBF any kind of effort to speak French is normal rewarded in an answer in English. 😕

samuri
    Free Member

Watch French kids TV programs online. Or better yet, watch English/American shows that have been translated. Like the Simpsons.

“Manger mon patalon!”

+1 for the little phrase books.

Cougar

any kind of effort to speak French is normal rewarded in an answer in English.

This.

When I went, I wanted to try and speak French so that I could a) be seen to make an effort and b) practice. Mostly, people just replied in English, defeating the object.

That said, (anecdotally) English is very common but the more rural you go the more it’s necessary; and people will try and help you if you ask them.

leffeboy

oops, forgot this little resource as well. STW in French if you like http://forum.velotaf.com/forum/3-velotaf-pratique/

always good for the occasional helmet fight with jèremiedutandem

Cougar

Proper gave me the giggles, that did. Thanks. (-:

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

You could try the Michel Thomas cd’s. You can find them on ebay at a reasonable price.
    I tried using them subliminally (with the volume turned right down) while at work.
    Il ne fonctionnait pas très bien.

Cougar

That’s understandable.

BigJohn

The Michel Thomas courses are excellent but I wonder if the French and Spanish are surprised at the number of British speaking their language with a heavy Polish accent

JonEdwards
    Free Member

A mate claims that shagging french birds is the best way to pick it up. (He’s now married to one and lives out there)

Dare one say it – he’s a bit of a cunning linguist…?

grum
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Think I’ll check out the Michel Thomas CDs.

JonEdwards – don’t think that’s an option really for all sorts of reasons. 😯

Mugboo

+1 for Michele Thomas

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best way to brush up on French quickly?’ is closed to new replies.