Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • best way to bed in new brakes
  • amsterdan
    Free Member

i have just bought some xtr 985 brakes with the ice tech rotors and finned pads and was wondering whats the best way to bed them in

mrgoll
    Free Member

Avid Elixir paperwork roughly says (if all kit is new) ;

1. Go fast walking speed ~8-10mph and slow to a very slow speed about 10 times.
    2. Go quickly ~10-18mph and slow to a walking speed about 10 times.

Do not lock the wheels throughout, conduct process on a flat surface, and let the pads cool down a bit afterwards.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I just hold the brake on and cycle round in a circle for a minute until the caliper warms up. Works a treat.

_tom_
    Free Member

Go for a ride.

globalti
    Free Member

Yep, just go for a ride.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You need to get the brake hot – very hot – hundreds of degrees.

With some brakes and riding styles this occurs in normal riding, with some it does not.

I will either pedal downhill slowing a number of times or pedal along the flat holding the brake on. You can tell from the feel when its done – the lever firms up and the brake works more effectively

coatesy
    Free Member

Just go for a ride in the wrong conditions and you’ll be one of those people who recommend a spare set of pads if going to Afan as they wore a set out in one lap of the Wall.Seriously, it only takes a couple of minutes, it’s not worth not bothering.

duntstick
    Free Member

I have a big long road hill nearby for the job. Drag brakes, keep pedaling until near standing. Back up to speed…….. rpt

xiphon
    Free Member

I usually ride down a big hill (on the road).

When the pads are bedded in, I can pull stoppies…

😈

cookeaa

Take them out for a drink, dazzle them with your interesting annecdotes, walk them home and politely accept when asked in for coffee, watch for that coy smile and knowing look, then it’s time to break ’em in! Not too rough mind you don’t want to get a reputation…

FFS, it’s just a set of brakes; Fit to bike, go out riding said bike, apply brakes as and when deceleration is required, repeat until the other Audi drivers in the car park scoff at your ancient kit and then buy new ones and restart the cycle…

reedspeed
    Free Member

Grip it,& rip it !

MrGreedy

Ride down big hill (preferably on tarmac). Brake *hard*. Repeat a few times (maybe a dozen if required). You *will* notice the difference in stopping power.

I keep meaning to bed in some spare pads just in case I need to replace some mid-ride, as they wear out so much faster if not properly bedded in (learnt this the hard way at last year’s Kielder 100).

thomthumb
    Free Member

pads in the oven @ 270 °C for 3+ hours. best pads ever. still need to be bedded to the discs though.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Before fitting the pads, find a flat paving slab, brick etc, (I use a chisel sharpening stone), pour some water on it and then rub the pads on it to create a bit of a paste. Clean pads with water and re-do. Whole process takes ~ 60 secs per pad.

Pads will then instantly ‘bite’ when fitted – simples 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ll just drag mine down snake pass before the pootle tomorrow.

Taff
    Free Member

let the pads cool down a bit

Had superstar pads and they said to throw water on them to cool them down…

metcalt

Have a hose or a bucket of cold water ready and got for a ride round your street dragging both brakes until they get hot.

As soon as you get off the bike spin the wheel and run the water over the caliper and rotor, you may need to repeat a couple of times but when the hissing subsides your brakes should be bedded in nicely. I’ve been doing this for years and it works well.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just go for a ride, brake a few times from speed and you’ll be fine.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘best way to bed in new brakes’ is closed to new replies.