• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best way of getting OS maps on your phone?
  • Garry_Lager

What’s the best bet for OS mapping on the phone?

Anyone use viewranger? Seems to be just a nominal amount with the open source OS maps, then the UK 1.50thou is £90. The open source mapping looks a bit shite, but maybe you get used to it and it’s actually OK?
    Also, does the larger scale 1:25000 work effectively on a phone – I imagine the relatively small screen would have you constantly scrolling?

Bez

Viewranger is excellent. The Opencyclemap tiles have contours and are a pretty good alternative to OS.

MyTrails will show OS maps. Online only, though (offline would require licensing fees, hence the costs of OS mapping for Viewranger).

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Maverick maps for Android

nickjb
    Free Member

Viewranger is great. There are a few other apps that do os maps but none do it as well as Viewranger. Online mapping only isn’t a great idea in the hills but you can get away with it. The free maps work well on viewranger, too, and there are loads of extra features. I rarely pay for software but I was happy to pay for this. I’ve got IGN maps for Morzine, too. If you are considering it drop me a line before you register and I’ll send you a referral for a few free map credits, or if you know someone who has it already they can do it.

I don’t think 1:25000 is worthwhile. Its a bit expensive to get a reasonable area and you don’t really need it with GPS as you know exactly where you are without the need for loads of map features.

takisawa2

Grab a screenshot from get-a-map as a pic & save on phone. Thats my pikey method.

nickjb
    Free Member

Thats my pikey method.

You miss the gps bit but it still works. I often take a picture of the map at trail-heads, it was very handy for bushwalking in Oz.

iainfrancis
    Free Member

For Android try MM Tracker

aracer
    Free Member

Grab a screenshot from get-a-map as a pic & save on phone.

There are slightly more sophisticated pikey methods than that 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If you’ve an iphone then memory maps has a phone only licence (so no printing etc) that allows you to buy “tiles” of maps in advance – so once downloaded you dont need a signal to use them but it does tie up with the gps signal.

This “allowance” doesnt have to be picked in advance – I paid £10 on a special offer – (its now 12.50) and that was enough to download the best parts of the tweed valley, pentlands and some bits near balmoral (when I got lost!). I’ve still got around 30% of my “allowance” left.

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/iphone/

I dont know if there’s any better out there – not tried owt else to compare (except paper).

iain1775
    Free Member

Yep memory map on iPhone is great, but then I already had it along with all the uk maps on my PC so for a one off extra £20 just upload them as i need for instant offline mapping
    I have 1:25k peak district and find it fine on the iPhone screen but generally 1:50k is ok
    It has totally changed things for me now when walking or on bike I don’t need to take a paper map just the phone

Vortexracing

mail me (my email is in my profile). I use trekbuddy and i have a load of 1:50000 and 1:25000 maps that just load onto the phone. Works a treat.

Drac

Viewranger is as mentioned above just excellent.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

+1 for Viewranger. Great bit of kit and their online customer service is very prompt and attentive.

Drac

Just had an email Viewranger is doing a Father’s Day promotion one the offers being discount on the maps.

Just use promo code VRFATH15 at checkout to save 15%.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best way of getting OS maps on your phone?’ is closed to new replies.