Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Best way of cleaning windscreens in the inside
  • howarthp

I’ve tried lots of off the shelf products but just get smear. What do you all recommend to stop headlight glare??

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Wet newspaper, then dry off with dry newspaper.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Give the inside of the windscreen a really good clean with a decent window cleaner and make sure you keep it clean and grease free and the heater will clear it in no time. Or get a Ford with a quick clear windscreen. They’re the best thing on a car by a long way.

CountZero

Most of the time I find a clean bar towel from the brewery of your choice seems to work pretty well, but when it comes to something that’ll clean built-up haze it’s a bit more tricky, Windolene seems as good as anything else out there.

trout
    Free Member

dont know if it would work on the inside. but i had terrible roadfilm which resisted all attempts at removal
    until i tried toothpast and washing up liquid resulted i a crystal clear screen

matt_outandabout

You should not need to clean it often.
    Are you wiping off condensation when you get in?
    I find a household glass cleaner, wiped and dried with newspaper works best, probably once a year.

jekkyl

the trick with normal ‘window cleaner’ is to use very sparingly, just a tiny squirt from a bit of distance so just a tiny bit goes on the glass. If you give it the big squirt from an inch away it’ll smear all to buggery.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Newspaper

howarthp

Thanks all. I’m intrigued with the toothpaste and washing up liquid approach – what mix do you use?

kerley
    Free Member

A damp sponge first and then a clean tea towel to rub the window dry. No smears.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Meths. Diluted 1:20 with warm water.

i_like_food

Meths. Smells nice as you drive away too. Probably melts the car dash and certainly will get you a funny look if you get stopped by the police… But no smears.

Tracey

White vinegar works well

whatgoesup

Autoglym glass polish. It leaves the glass completely clean – no residual grease, smears or anything. Once clean never I never touch the screen with anything – cloths etc – if there’s mist then wait for the heater / AC / quick-clear etc to do its job.

It works great on the inside and outside – the only downside on the inside is if you use too much you end up with a white dusty powder on the dash – easily hoovered / brushed off though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use isopropyl alcohol, spray on a paper towel clean windows.

kayak23

Jet wash.

andy4d

Wot markwsf for said works for me too.

DrP

Car wash.
    Windows down.
    Boom…bang tidy..

DrP

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I don’t bother trying to clean our car one as guaranteed the wife will just hop in and give a condensed window a big ole wipe with a rag one morning…

bruneep

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_sl_bj4z0A[/video]

fifeandy
    Free Member

After trying various methods over the years i decided to just not bother even trying with this car and has been quite a success.

skink2020

Lots of window cleaner, a nice clean cloth, fold it up a bit and every 10 seconds or so refold it, and keep polishing till all the cleaner has evaporated.
    That’s how we clean 100+ pictures a day and it works well in the van,I assure you.

Rorschach
    Free Member

soobalias
    Free Member

reminds me the aircon (still) needs regassing.

whatgoesup

Problem solved

vongassit
    Free Member

maybe you have cataracts. 🙂

wallop

Windolene and newspaper

maccruiskeen

Dry newspaper or blue roll. Anything you are going to squirt on doesn’t make the dirt vanish – its just going to move dirt around until you finally get it off with dry paper so skip the moving it around bit.

The real trick is to able to see that you’re achieving anything. Its in particular light conditions that you can see the dirt – low sun – headlights of other cars etc. Give it as good a clean as you can but keep the cleaning stuff in the car on your travels and do the job properly when you can actually see the dirt.

The outside of the screen usually benefits from a good clean too and you’d be surprised how much black gunk is on the wipers.

Rich_s

I was *proper* amazed by white vinegar and newspaper. Really easy, cheap and great result.

pictonroad

I’m sure this was done on here recently? Where else would I have learnt that the unstoppable smearing inside car Windscreens is a residue coming out of the flame retardant chemicals in the plastics?

Some sort of isopropyl was the consensus if I recall correctly?

takisawa2

Warm water, drop of vinegar & newspaper.

Isopropyl Alcohol didn’t appear to have much effect.

trout
    Free Member

ratio. just a blob of toothpast and a sqirt of fairy. plus elbow grease.
    rinse off. jobs a good un

rickk

As pictonroad I have also read that a lot of the smear comes from volatiles in all the interior plastics.
    Vinegar / newspaper for the win.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A microfibre cloth for wiping mist/condensation, means I only usually need to clean the passenger side. +1 for vinegar and newspaper.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s plasticiser film. A regular wipe with a microfiber cloth keeps it away and that’s easier if you do it when the windscreen is cold and slightly misted.

tomd
    Free Member

+1 for the vinegar and newspaper, outstanding and cheap.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Isopropyl Alcohol didn’t appear to have much effect.

Well it works for me, sprayed on blue roll then rubbed on the window.

White vinegar is also good but it stinks a fair bit. Things like windowlene/autglym glas polish work but its a harder job than isopropyl alcohol for the same effect.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Surely the newspaper trick leaves ink smears everywhere?(Going off the fact when you handle them it goes all over your hands) Are you lot soaking the newspaper in the vinegar or just using it sparingly?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use newspaper, you end up with ink on your hands and it’ll end up getting on the headlining too.

But use any product sparingly.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

+ AutoGlym glass cleaner. Doesn’t cost too much, works.

Always surprised how much filthy gunk comes off an apparently clean screen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Best way of cleaning windscreens in the inside’ is closed to new replies.