• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best way back to Manchester from Edale?
  • chambord
    Free Member

Got tomorrow afternoon off, so going to get the train to Edale or Hope, fool about a bit and ride home to Manchester.

Anyone done this?

Just looking at the map I was thinking take the Pennine Way (Push) up Jacobs ladder, then I can either take Doctors Gate or stay on the Pennine Way up to the reservoirs and take the TPT back to Reddish Vale.

I’ve only ever walked on the Pennine Way and seem to remember thinking it didn’t look like the easiest thing to ride on.

Any other suggestions?

Esme
    Free Member
    Esme
    Free Member

Are you familiar with any sections of the route you’re suggesting, Chambord?

I really wouldn’t want to take a bike up near Kinder Downfall (and not just because it’s a footpath rather than a BW), and the descent towards William Clough was bad enough with a couple of walking poles 😯

And the photos of Doctor’s Gate don’t look very appealing.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Just get the train back?

Or ride back to New Mills station via Hayfield and then get train into town from there?

chambord
    Free Member

(and not just because it’s a footpath rather than a BW)

😳 Oops, I misread the map… Akela would hang his head in shame.

I know bits of the route I suggested, but not the bit around Kinder.

I’ll have a look at the Pennine Bridleway.

Garry_Lager

Taking a mtb over Kinder in the daytime and you’ll be having confrontations with walkers every 100 yards. Hardly worth it when the riding isn’t that good in the first place.
    Lots of good ways back to Manchester – roughly following the river Goyt is quickest, loads of options if you look at the map.
    The pennine BW that esme mentions, then TPT, would be good riding, but a long ride – Two sides of a triangle back to Manchester. Be a hard day if you’ve done some stuff around Edale.

Esme
    Free Member

“Confrontations with walkers every 100 yards” – not so likely on a weekday 😉
    And it’s always interesting to discuss the reasons why they’re allowed on the moors in the first place 😀

Nevertheless it’s not a good choice of route for a long journey.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best way back to Manchester from Edale?’ is closed to new replies.