Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • worst value laptop?
  • cullen-bay
    Free Member

Will be needing a laptop some time in the near future and i was wondering:
    1) worst singletrack person to buy one from
    2) what is the best i could get for 400, 600, 800 pounds.

Thanks!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

dont care if it is a dog of a deal!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

brand new macbook for 750 quid 😉 from me

cullen-bay
    Free Member

thats too bad a deal!

aracer
    Free Member

Quick OP – there’s still time to change the thread title to “worst value laptop” so Nick’s post is in context.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

what? you mean like that?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

show me a better laptop for 750 with a 10hr battery and a faster, better looking laptop 😉

GO!!!

loddrik
    Free Member

Have to say after years of ‘decent’ laptops, I am on my first macbook.

I won’t be buying a laptop again…

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

yup,

i had hp,sony,packard bell and none match the mac so far..

aracer
    Free Member

what? you mean like that?

top editing 😆

cullen-bay
    Free Member

was thinking a vaio, macbook, hp pavillion or macbook pro.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Nick_Christy – Member
    yup,

i had hp,sony,packard bell and none match the mac so far..
    i thought it was new 8)

Xylene
    Free Member

show me a better laptop for 750 with a 10hr battery and a faster, better looking laptop

HOw about Fark the looks and save 360 quid

get your 9 hours of usage time and a new set of forks as well.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

acer hahahaha!!!! only laptops i no NOT to even make 6 months before something goes wrong 😉 (just from my experience of course )

i thought it was new

didnt say it was mine did i 😉

said you can get 1 from me 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

acer hahahaha!!!! only laptops i no NOT to even make 6 months before something goes wrong

Not in my experience.

Acually no point in replying to that post.

YOu are a Macfanboi and are therefore totally braindead to anything outside of the Apple range.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

QUIRREL – Member
    acer hahahaha!!!! only laptops i no NOT to even make 6 months before something goes wrong

Not in my experience.

YOu are a Macfanboi and are therefore totally braindead to anything outside of the Apple range.

but you were supposedly dead after the first harry potter film? eh? how do you explain that?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

am i??

wouldnt regard myself as one. I tried all the other “top” brands and all fell short. Went to a mac 4 months ago and would buy another and would recommend them also to anyone else that gets pissed off with the slow workings and problematic windows. I still use windows on my other machine for certain things but i think you cant beat a mac at the moment in my opinion

joeh2o
    Free Member

Quirrel – Member

Not in my experience.

Oh come on. This sort of ad hominem is just tired and old.

What next? You call anyone who likes Orange an Orange fanboi?

I’ve personally used many computers of over the years and I keep going back to Apple for my own stuff. Doesn’t mean I don’t think that other manufacturers can also make decent stuff – I have had decent experience with Fujitsu, for example, and almost universally poor experience with Dell. (although I use a Dell 1320 colour laser printer which has been awesome – cheap, long lasting toner, great quality, ethernet, core engine based on a Samsung single pass unit – well worth the money – not everything they sell is junk.)

Sure, some of the Apples I have dealt with (going on for about 40 or so of them for various family members, friends and former work related stuff and so on) have had problems, but they are consistently very good in my experience. They do break, they do have issues, but overall they are very decent machines and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them to someone (for whatever OS you want – the MacBook Pro makes an awesome Windows laptop). However, it’s going to depend on what you want to pay, since it will cost you a little more to get one.

On a forum dedicated to biking beyond the “generic”, I would think that you can appeciate that sometimes you want to pay a little more for extra features – the longer lasting batteries, ultra-quiet fans/thermal design, and the all-aluminium unibody chassis (instead of plastic) *do* cost more. Whether that’s worth it to you is a matter for the individual. Are XTR bits “worth it” compared to XT? That depends. The same is true for computers – you pay more for higher spec items (and this includes higher specced non-Apple computers too – I’m not saying that only Apple make good kit worth buying).

As to the OP’s original question, for £867 you can get a brand-new MacBook, which is pretty nice, but for that money I’d buy a second hand MacBook Pro instead, either refurb from Apple (which comes with full warranty equal to a new one) or from another source. So, if you wanted to spend £800ish, those are a couple of the *options* I will present. Other manufacturers are available, your mileage may vary, never roller skate in a buffalo herd.

nickb

Might be selling my MacBook Pro soon. It’s about 2 1/2 year old – 15″ 2.16 Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and a 320GB HD, running Snow Leopard (10.6.6).

Using it right now to reply, and it works great, but looks like I might be getting a new one from work.

Let me know if you’re interested…
    Cheers

Nick

nick[at]nickbarnett[dot]com

epicyclo

MacBook.

PC laptops are a form of self-abuse.

aracer
    Free Member

As to the OP’s original question, for £867 you can get a brand-new MacBook, which is pretty nice, but for that money I’d buy a second hand MacBook Pro instead, either refurb from Apple (which comes with full warranty equal to a new one) or from another source. So, if you wanted to spend £800ish, those are a couple of the *options* I will present.

How many people really want to spend that much on a laptop when you can get something perfectly functional for half as much? Though I suppose it depends how much value you think being white (for elf: or silver) adds.

joeh2o
    Free Member

How many people really want to spend that much on a laptop when you can get something perfectly functional for half as much? Though I suppose it depends how much value you think being white (for elf: or silver) adds.

It’s not just “white” or “silver” and then increased in price – the design is decidedly different.

The Macbook Pro, for example, has its body machined from a single piece of aluminium to make a very light, very strong frame. Compared to a “perfectly functional” laptop for half as much that uses plastic for the case, and is consequently weaker.

Then again, you make a very good point! Why spend all that money on a Ti frame when a steel one is “perfectly functional” and costs less than half as much!

You heard it here first; if you buy anything more expensive than a steel frame, you are buying it for the colour.

aracer
    Free Member

Why spend all that money on a Ti frame when a steel one is “perfectly functional” and costs less than half as much

Well personally I’d suggest carbon instead of ti, but otherwise it’s a perfectly valid point.

Do you know how much XTR you can get for the difference between a normal laptop and a Macbook?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My wife just got a MacBook air – wow!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

I keep going back to Apple for my own stuff. Doesn’t mean I don’t think that other manufacturers can also make decent stuff

Then you are not a fanboi. Fanbois rave about Apple stuff without giving the subject any kind of sensible thought – it’s simply a tribal thing. And it’s competitive, because any time computers or phones come up they start banging on about how wonderful their stuff is even if it’s wildly inappropriate (eg find me a laptop for 300 quid).

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, Apple fanbois post stupid comments like “PC laptops are a form of self-abuse” though I’m hoping that in the instance above it was tounge-in-cheek.

epicyclo

aracer – Member
    …Do you know how much XTR you can get for the difference between a normal laptop and a Macbook?

There’s the answer.

Get a singlespeed and you can afford a Mac with the money you save. You can grow a beard and save money on razors too.

Waste your money on fripperies like derailleurs etc and you’re doomed to a PC. You can’t have a beard because it will get tangled in your XTR when you’re adjusting it.

🙂

tony24
    Free Member

Just ordered my new laptop was looking at mac book pros extensively and i love the look and feel of quality about them but there bang per buck is terrible. I found out that Asus are the ODM for apple so figured there quality must be good then found this

http://www.asusoutlet.com/PRD_ProductDetail.aspx?cid=26&prodid=1253&Product=N53SV—i7—8GB—640GB—Windows-7-Premium-64bit—15.6—Bluetooth

Blu ray, 650gb HD, Brand new sandy bridge i7, nvidia gt540 graphics bang and olufsen sound, 8gb of sdram and a beautiful looking casing all for £800 and a 2 yr warranty 😀

ericemel
    Free Member

best value? Get something through the Dell outlet store. I just for a quad 1.87 i7, 500gb, BR, 1080 RGBLED, 2gig Nvidia, 9 cell battery for £700

Otherwise get a Mac – and get the educational discount – they give it to anyone these days – jeez I am a highly paid professional and cos I haven’t completed my CIMA (and not going to) I am classed as a student and have a full valid NUS ID. tis a joke!

psychle
    Free Member

Blu ray, 650gb HD, Brand new sandy bridge i7, nvidia gt540 graphics bang and olufsen sound, 8gb of sdram and a beautiful looking casing all for £800 and a 2 yr warranty

That’s a mucho powerful laptop…

tonyd

Mac all the way. I gave up on Windows long ago, spent a few years doing battle with Linux, then finally got a Mac about 8 years ago and have never looked back. Yes, they’re more expensive but the hardware is robust and long lasting and the operating system is excellent. If you need to run Windows either dual boot (bootcamp) or run VMWare/Parallels, I still have to go to Windows from time to time for things like Visio.

I’ve had my current MacBook Pro for coming on 4 years now I think, had one fault on the display last year which was a known issue and fixed for free. I use it every day for work, it gets bounced around in a pannier most days on my commute. It’s been a while since I had one but I can’t imagine too many cheap laptops would survive the kind of use/abuse mine gets.

That said, the missus bought a netbook with Win7 starter on it a year or two ago (for just browsing t’internet, checking email etc) which ran like a dog until I recently put Fedora on it. It did take some fiddling to get WiFi working (driver, kernel recompile) but she loves it and she’s not technical at all. Windows isn’t the be all and end all.

McHamish
    Free Member

For surfing the net this is pretty much the minimum you need…

Basic Rock Laptop.

footflaps

Yep, recent Macbook Pro convert here too – I find Windows laptops just painful to use now…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘worst value laptop?’ is closed to new replies.