Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best UST Trail Tyre Combinations
  • RagTi
    Free Member

Morning all,

Converting to Tubeless this week and need to procure some decent trail tyres around 2.2>2.4 for my new Codeine.

Does anyone have any suggestions with regards “current” best UST combinations ?

Apologies if this has already been covered a zillion times this week but my searches strangeley found very little.

Thanks in advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best for…..

Rolling
    Grip
    Wear
    Price
    Weight

Pick which you rate the most, also full UST could be a bit overkill, tubeless ready etc fits the bill

honourablegeorge

If you’re searching for “UST” then not surprising you’re not getting results – very few manufacturers are arsed with the UST standard any more.

Schwalbe (Tubeless Easy/Tubeless Ready) and Maxxis (Tubeless Ready) with sealant should sort you out.

qwerty
    Free Member

Trail Tyre

Continental Trail King 2.2″ Protection.

Specialized tyres seem popular, but I can’t remember which (Purgatory/Butcher???).

timmys

Continental Trail King 2.2″ Protection.

Good call, but if you want piss easy tubeless go for the UST version (Back Chilli natch). Slightly heavier but you don’t need to worry about having to seal the porous side walls.

stevied
    Free Member

As said above, most companies don’t really do UST any more. They tend to be heavier than ‘tubeless ready’ tyres.
    I’ve had great results with Maxxis TR tyres. They seal easily, go up easily and are reasonable weights.
    EXO sidewalls seem to add a bit of strength too. 3C on the front is great for grip/wear, normal compound (60a) on the rear for better wear.

RagTi
    Free Member

Thanks All, yes I appreciate UST rarely features nowadays and you need to check compliance in the spec.

I am looking at some WTB Bronsons, and an option are the Scwalbe Hans Damphs ?.

Kev

Garry_Lager

Schwalbe magic Mary front and Hans Dampf rear is a popular enduro combination.
    The MM is outstanding for UK mixed conditions, a grip monster, but a bit of a drag for routine riding around. If you’re focused on the descents then worth considering.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Currently liking the Michelin Wild Rock’r2. Comes in a “sticky” and “standard” version (MagiX and GumX or something like that). Sticky front, standard rear!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Currently running Hutchinson Toro on front and rear tubeless, super fast and great grip, currently cheap at Acycles.

richmtb

I’m liking Maxxis High Roller 2 front and Ardent rear in Tubeless Ready

Could go Minion front and High Roller rear if you still have a lot of mud locally

honourablegeorge

timmys – Member

Good call, but if you want piss easy tubeless go for the UST version (Back Chilli natch). Slightly heavier but you don’t need to worry about having to seal the porous side walls.

Or if you don’t want to deal with porous side walls that deform under load – avoid Continentals altogether.

chestrockwell

I’m about to do the same and have proper UST rims. Do I need to use sealant between the tyre and rim?

fizik
    Free Member

My codeine sits on on-one tyres, chunky monkey front, smorgasboard rear. Wouldnt use anything else, they grip really well, very tough for ploughing through rock gardens, and are very reliable tubeless (more so than my maxxis UST’s) Look up some reviews, they are popular for a reason, will save a packet too.

leftyboy
    Free Member

My SRAM Roam 40 wheels are UST and my Maxxis Ardents TR 3C blow up and keep pressure with no sealant BUT if you then get a thorn they will go down, the sealant is too stop thorns etc from causing a leak.
    So far, except when I used a CO2 canister and froze the sealant, this has worked really well for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best UST Trail Tyre Combinations’ is closed to new replies.