Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Best tyre levers
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Just busted 3, 2x mavic and 1 other trying to get a “mud x” onto a ryde trace Enduro rim, just temp until new girl gets here. I digress, any ideas for superstrong tyre levers for backpack and mancave.

Oh, by the way got it on and blew it off twice with track pump then gave up……anyway back to tyre levers

ianfitz
    Free Member

Pedros. never been in a decent bike shop that didn’t have them in their workshop

wombat

Pedros

+1

nemesis
    Free Member

£5.99 for steel cored, plastic outer tyres levers from CRC. Have yet to be beaten by any tubeless/rim combo

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-steel-core-tyre-lever-set/rp-prod55931

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very pleased to hear Pedros are the STW recommended ones. I have a set bought from LBS as they stocked and they have been excellent. The original ones I had where rubbish and broke.

hainman
    Free Member

I’ve broke the tip off two of those steel core tyre levers
    Trying to put tyres onto a sun mmx rim.

sandwicheater

+4 for Pedros, cheap and solid. Have a few pairs and all been excellent.

Sub-questions, what colour do you guys go for? Would seem pink is my pick.

convert

topeak shuttles for me. Pedros felt very inferior after getting a pair of these.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

+5 for Pedros I got given a set years ago at a SSUK event and then brought spares for my back pack as well as saddle bag and toolbox, just so that ive always got some on hand

jairaj

+6 for Pedros, I have them in orange colour.

jam-bo

Pink Pedros.

jools182
    Free Member

pedros

DanW
    Free Member

Glad it isn’t just me blowing tyres off Ryde rims! 0.0001psi over the max recommended pressure… BOOM!

I don’t know your experience OP but my Maxxis tyres didn’t “pop” on like most other rims- it is more of a gentle, passive “sit” of the tyre bead against the rim which happened when left for 10-30 mins at a lower pressure than I normally would

Northwind

Pedros are pretty good. Lezyne Powerlever is quite a bit better though imo. They don’t look much but they have the most perfect hook on them. They make an XL version but I’m not sure why, the standard ones have all the leverage I need to get bolshy dualplies off tight rims (and I am very feeble)

I did break the tip off one after long use- they’re maybe not as durable as the pedros ones.

amedias
    Free Member

+1 for the Swarf ones, absolutely NO flex whatsoever, great so far!

z1ppy

Pedro’s, again have snapped the plastic off the steel insert Soma’s, had the pedro’s longer than I had the soma’s

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pedro’s. Tho just snapped one 🙁

pipiom
    Free Member

I didn’t try your method DanW…..no they don’t sit in the bead very well I,thought it was the MudX…..anyway wheel thrown in corner, new Toros ordered and carbine being ridden tonight.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve never snapped a Pedros. I still have a Milk Lever somewhere.

househusband

Pedros – again!

(Do have a set of the Topeak ones in the road bike seat pack as they’re smaller..!)

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve snapped pedros, prefer the blue Park ones.

DanW
    Free Member

I didn’t try your method DanW…..no they don’t sit in the bead very well I,thought it was the MudX…..anyway wheel thrown in corner, new Toros ordered and carbine being ridden tonight.

My Ryde rims were extremely tight to get the tyre beads over the edge of the rim and in to the central channel. Once there it was very gradual (at low pressure- 30psi?) to get the tyre bead “seated”. In reality the tyre bead doesn’t stay in place and will ease back in to the central channel if the tyre is deflated.

If you can get the tyre “seated” with an inner tube you kind of have to gamble with putting the sealant in straight away then “re-seat” them which can be very messy if they blow off again! Bit annoying that they don’t stay in place when deflated and my solution was patience and waiting until the wife popped out to have another go! Low pressure and not expecting the bead to stay seated is key.

I used battered old Park tyre levers and lots of swearing patience to get the tyres on in the first place BTW

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Pedros- got to be yellow though!

I did snap one once but they’re still the best I’ve had.

tomhoward

Park TL5 heavy duty. Cos sometimes it’s fun to bring a Gatling gun to a knife fight.

alexpalacefan

Pedros +x
    Yellow, so you don’t lose them
    APF

leffeboy

Nothing new under the sun, well at least no new threads 🙂
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recomend-me-some-tyre-levers

As a result of that I bought a set of Pedros (pink of course) and a set of Lezynes and they are both WAY better than anything I had before. The Pedros are larger so sit in my toolbox, the Lenzynes are in my packpack

colournoise

I’ve got some Intense branded metal ones. Totally rock solid but you do have to be careful of the rims when using them.

butcher

Noticed today that Cycling Plus comes with a pair of what look very much like Pedros. Could well be much cheaper copies, but they’re strikingly similar.

simondbarnes

Pedros

scotroutes

Yep – I still have a pair of them (plus the more modern version)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Best tyre levers’ is closed to new replies.