Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Best tyre at mo ?
  • colournoise

For proper all-round tyres Spesh Purgatory front and rear. Best balance of all-round grip, weight and rolling resistance I’ve tried recently.

When things dry up a bit I just go to a Captain on the back for a bit more rolling speed.

Spesh Storms have been brilliant in the slop, but are a real drag on anything still riding hard and a killer on tarmac (one of those tyres you can feel falling off each knobble as you ride – like riding on corrugated iron).

flatpat
    Free Member

So, colournoise, Purgatory faster than a Storm? I’ve been considering replacing my usual winter Mud-X with a Purgatory, because I prefer a bigger spongier tyre.

Spesh purgatory 2.3 on the back and a Maxxis Wetscream 2.2 on the front. The Wetscream is scetchy on roots and rocks but in proper,foul,gloopy,deep mud absolutly nothing is within 100000 miles as good!

Northwind

I’ve alwyas found RQs pretty terrible if there’s mud- they clog worse than most tyres and the size makes them double floaty. Quite like ’em for sort of summer/autumn stuff but this time of year they wouldn’t come within a mile of my bikes tbh.

colournoise

flatpat. Would say overall in mixed conditions the Purgatory is way quicker than the Storm. Only slower in floppy mud as it loses traction quicker than the Storm. On any other surface the Storm is pretty slow rolling and hard work to get moving (much like any mud tyre IME).

superfli
    Free Member

Still favouring my Panaracer CG soft conditions tyre. Cheap and big volume. Just a shame its not tougher sidewalls (although mine has only had the 1 repair). On front. On rear, I’m using my summer tyres – nevegals or MKs (bike dependent)

flatpat
    Free Member

Thanks colournoise – to be tested on Tuesday night’s mudbath.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Best tyre at mo ?’ is closed to new replies.