Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Best tubeless inflation system?
  • jamj1974

Airshot is good.

djglover
    Free Member

Would you like me to post the photo of what happens when it splits?

Ohh yeah!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I just use a 5 litre garden sprayer with the wand removed, molgrips pinching the hose to hold the air back, then push the hose over the valve, and undo the molgrips. Never fails.

That’s exactly what I do too.

Do you seal up the blow off valve first?

No, that’s the indication that you’ve pumped it up sufficiently.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes you do. Unless you want Stanimals

CO2 + Stans, doesn’t mix.

Stanimals are caused by the the sealant fixing punctures aren’t they? I had none in the tyres that I just removed, I had about 1/2 the latex remaining after a year of being on the bike. They were inflated with CO2.

Are your warnings against CO2 perceived wisdom or actual experience?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Splashed more than inflator, as I bought Topeak Booster. Proved to be worth every penny as Tuesday night we set up 6 wheels in a row with friend of mine.

On top of that it is bloody good track pump.

Hard to find cheaper than that me thinks…

Barbieri Inflator

Cheers!
    I.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Coke bottle. Free from most good bins. Also lightest on the market.

jonnyboi

molgrips – Member

I have actually experienced it after using CO2.

deadkenny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member 

Manufacturers don’t recommend it. Though fine for getting home. Just it’s not good for lifespan of the sealant.

Technical FAQ: Tire sealant questions

I’ve removed some sizeable stanimals before. Not entirely sure if I used CO2 with sealant in those tyres, but possibly as have done it on the trail from time to time. I’ve stopped doing that and now carry a pump. I still carry CO2 but use it as last resort, for popped bead that needs reseat or to quick inflate a tube. Though it’s all pretty rare.

ransos
    Free Member

Ohh yeah!

Gah, photobox hosting! Anyway, the guy severed tendons in his fingers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+ for a compressor, it’s just less faffy.

And before someone suggests you can’t take that with you in a car*, you could buy a cylinder of nitrogen for less** than the cost of an airshot and it would probably last you until the next big thing in tyre inflation comes along.

*van with an inverter?

**you’d need a regulator as well though.

TiRed

The Airshot, whilst not cheap, is superb. I guarantee you will not regret the outlay once you’ve bought one. Effortless. If I were to improve it, I’d add easier attachment to a track pump barrel using the neoprene sleeve.

Very satisfied for road, mtb and cross.

slightreturn
    Free Member

If stans recommends not using Co2 as it reacts with the sealant. Could you not get the tyre onto the bead using soapy water to help seat the tyre. When it’s on you can remove the valve core and pour sealant in there. Use a regular track pump to get to desired pressure.

molgrips
    Free Member

The seating of the tyre isn’t the issue. The air leaks straight out as fast as it goes in because the tyre isn’t tight in the well of the rim. If you get a tyre/rim/rim strip combo that is tight, then it doesn’t leak out and goes up straight away.

I have actually experienced it after using CO2.

Experienced what exactly?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used Stans & CO2, the Advantages on my Crest rims are slack as can be & a track pump doesn’t work.
    Must be 2 years since I changed the sealant.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Must be 2 years since I changed the sealant.

you have no sealant left in liquid form then….

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but what if he’s not around?

Ghetto inflator here – I’m using it below the pressure a lemonade bottle is designed to take and it’s reinforced with gaffa tape – it works fine IME (and should work better than CO2 as it can deliver more volume of gas).

deadkenny
    Free Member

slight return – Member 
    Could you not get the tyre onto the bead using soapy water to help seat the tyre. When it’s on you can remove the valve core and pour sealant in there. Use a regular track pump to get to desired pressure.

If I use CO2, that’s what I do. Soapy water not required. The bead will seat fine with CO2. May not stay up, though with TR tyres I find it will hold, but need sealant for punctures. But then deflate, valve core out, sealant and inflate with track pump. Or even pop the bead enough to pour in sealant works.

But you can just use loads of soapy water and a track pump. Now I’ve worked out how to do that reliably, it’s much easier and quicker.

DrP

I’m very fond of my Lidl compressor…

That’s not Lidl, it looks quite large…..

DrP

Tracey

We have one of the Aldi ones, that comes with the accesories needed, mounted to the garage wall. Its been so good that we bought another that stays in the camper. both were less than £30 each when bought in their sales. Never failed to do a tyre with it in seconds.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Are CRC selling any of these, other than the Lifeline trackpump thing?
    I have vouchers for there and would like to buy an Airshot style inflator

jonnyboi

Experienced what exactly?

Either getting a ball of sealant, or the sealant breaking down where the latex (or whatever) dries on the inside of the tyre and you’re left with a clear oily fluid that doesn’t seal anything and just runs out.

Since ditching the co2 over a year ago I haven’t had the problem return

molgrips
    Free Member

Odd – never seen that. I’ve seen latex dry out after a year or so. I’ve had a few balls of it, but that seems not to matter.

Could you not get the tyre onto the bead using soapy water to help seat the tyre.

How do you do that?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Giallograle

With Stans Crest, Arch and DT Swiss rims, a lot depends on the tyres. I find the newer ones better.

I’ve struggled with non-tubeless Continental (a visit to the garage and 50p well spent) and Kenda.

Maxxis non-tubeless were better. Schwalbe and Maxxis tubeless-ready have been fine.

I always inflate them dry.

I got the bits together for a coke bottle inflator, but since I bought a Lezyne Digital Overdrive pump, I haven’t needed to put it together. I had an Edinburgh Bicycle Revo before, but the Lezyne shifts more air and is better built.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol @IvanMTB, mine only look like that when I’m coming into Aus/NZ for quarantine checks, little spray bottle with a mix in it sprayed around the bead and your away, saves leaving bubbles in every puddle you hit

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Best tubeless inflation system?’ is closed to new replies.