Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Best trance to train to
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

never really got sasha, just didn't do it for me. most of my mates virtually foamed at the mouth about him.

corroded
    Free Member

I've always pegged Sasha and Digweed as prog house/trance (including their excellent Northern Exposure series). Personally, I can't believe it's 15 years since Oakenfold's Goa mix on R1… I am officially middle aged 🙁
    A snippet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_3JkfNU-ew
    Orange theme, Age of Love, Acperience – no idea what trance is like these days but the early 90s were great. This was a personal fave – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc6SvvcZ5UA

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

corroded –

i used to listen to that westbam tune to get to sleep, it was the last track on a (i think) Oaky mix i had on CD. possibly 'the house collection: Volume 5'

right, i'm having a dance music reminiscing day, the neighbours are out

🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

starting with Hands on Yello

chakaping
    Free Member

Orange theme, Age of Love, Acperience – no idea what trance is like these days but the early 90s were great.

Now we're talking, those were the golden days.

It was a bit later, but I saw Big Brother the other day and they were making the housemates dance to Access by Misjah and Tim – another of my all-time faves.

Took me back to the dancefloor at the Soundshaft in 1995 (probably).

All my vinyl is behind me in the office, but I've not got my decks set up.

🙁

Eldrik
    Free Member

corroded – I agree, the Oakenfold Goa Mix from December 1994 is still amazing sounding now. Picked it up on double CD in the early 2000s and it still gets played regularly 🙂

The OP could also check out Sander Kleinenberg – perhaps not pure trance again and more on a progressive tip, but good nonetheless….

I'm beginning to realise quite how much I love turn of the century house/progressive house…..

Nick

I used to like a bit of trance, the album version of the Orange Theme is quite nice and some of the other Eye Q records weren't bad.

Trouble is that ultimately its empty music, no funk you see, dance music for people of can't dance. If you like dancing (and I loved it) then it gets very boring very quickly imo etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

Inspired to look up a few classics on You Tube…

Union Jack – Lollipop Man

Circus Bells – Hardfloor mix

chakaping
    Free Member

Trouble is that ultimately its empty music, no funk you see, dance music for people of can't dance. If you like dancing (and I loved it) then it gets very boring very quickly imo etc.

True, but only when it went all wishy washy in the mid-90s.

See the Hardfloor tune I posted above for evidence of trance with funk.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yup, it went with the drugs, the earlier trance is far funkier but it got all commercial when the beer boys cottoned on to it. That said, i have VERY fond memories of the commercial (Jules et al) euphoric trance days at crasher. I recall Jules playing Delerium 'silence' 6 times at the end of one of the winter balls, everyone sung along and looked all doey eyed* at each other 🙂

*well as doey eyed as your pupils would allow

Nick

The hardfloor track is techno, not trance, not funky in the slightest either sorry!

BlingBling
    Free Member

Oakenfolds GOA mix is the only mix from that era I still play regularly, I've even made back up copies :mrgreen:

Try "Man with no name" for Psy/Goa/pumping trance

Ibiza vet 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002

hora
    Free Member

Tags done 8)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

The hardfloor track is techno, not trance, not funky in the slightest either sorry!

Techno not funky?

i think you may have had your funk bone removed

Nick

yeah that exactly what I mean Ian, every track is formulaic, same strings or stuttering 303 over uninteresing basslines, no groove or swing, nothing to dance to

ianv
    Free Member

"every track is formulaic, same strings or stuttering 303 over uninteresing basslines, no groove or swing"

But at the time,in the right environment, under the "right conditions" it was awesome.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i'd say Ian's selection is Cy-Trance, only really popular in Rotterdam and with the crustier ravers

either way, i'm back from shopping and have moved on to EyeQ – Behind the Eye Volume 2 🙂

Nick

I meant the track suggested had no funk, not that techno doesn't by default, plenty of techno with funk, try labels like Playhouse or Perlon

ianv
    Free Member

"i'd say Ian's selection is Cy-Trance, only really popular in Rotterdam and with the crustier ravers

either way, i'm back from shopping and have moved on to EyeQ – Behind the Eye Volume 2 "

Eh? apart from the Bonzei tracks, pretty much everything came out of Germany and at least 3 were on Eye Q.

They are a pretty definative selection of early 90's trance

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Putting all this aside…

If you want to give yourelf an MI while training, look for stuff from a Dutch label called "Mokum" (Terrordrome mix CD's). I had a track on vinyl called Projekt 250. It was, as you might guess, 250bpm. At the time we called it "nosebleed techno". hahaha.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Training = Ultra-Sonic, Annihilating Rhythm or DJ Scooter Move Your Ass. Just cannae redline it to "trance"!!

BlingBling
    Free Member

aphex if you're going that fast you might as well be playing Gabba :mrgreen:

hora
    Free Member

Anyone else remember Oakenfolds club in Leceister Square?…same place that the Police targetted for drugs raids but they wouldnt go near 'Heaven' due to the connotations/risk of homophobia? Of course, unsubstantiated and never proven..

BlingBling
    Free Member

That's your excuse for going to Heaven every weekend?

BoardinBob

The hardfloor track is techno

Actually, it's acid house rather than techno 😉

naokfreek
    Free Member

Trance is balls, Detroit Techno and its many incarnations are by far a greater, deeper and indeed more musical experience

I can safely say that good techno is way way way way way ahead of anything labeled 'trance'.

Look for anything (early) by

Jeff Mills
    Robert Hood
    Carl Craig
    Juan Atkins
    Derrick May
    Blake Baxter
    Underground Resistance
    Kevin Saunderson
    Alan Oldham
    Kenny Larkin
    Eddie Fowlkes
    Drexciya
    Stacey Pullen

for a start…

the list could go on for a long time but…….

BoardinBob

I was going to say the same. Trance was pish when it was popular and it's about as relevant nowadays as the steam engine.

Lucky enough to have seen everyone on that list with the notable exception of Drexciya!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Have'nt seen them either, and now never will, but yea, the rest of them are something else!!

ianv
    Free Member

I still think early trance was pretty good. At clubs like the orbit or the omen, a dj like sven, smoke, lazers and big break downs. At the time it was great.

Techno is deffo a deeper type of music and its pretty much all I listen to now but I think a lot of the names on the list are pretty overrated (particurlarly as dj's)

There are some good americans: mills, bone, dex, rolando but Japan is where its at now!

Surfr
    Free Member

Warning, contains swear words in comic form.
    http://files.meetup.com/861021/the-trance-cracker.jpg

lovewookie

try a bit of resurrection eve, not trance as such, but hey it's quick and dancey. Run is a good track to zoom to.

🙂

http://www.myspace.com/resurrectioneve

SimpleDumbPilot
    Free Member
    BoardinBob

Warning, contains swear words in comic form.
    http://files.meetup.com/861021/the-trance-cracker.jpg

So true.

Although not necessarily a bad thing as trance killed the superclub and more or less killed off commercial dance music 🙂

naokfreek
    Free Member

Techno is deffo a deeper type of music and its pretty much all I listen to now but I think a lot of the names on the list are pretty overrated (particurlarly as dj's)

True… Mills at Lost when it was at the arches on southwark st se1 circa 96/97 along with Rob Hood were some of the best sets/live pieces i've seen, but mills lost his touch along time ago…Derrick May always plays a fantastic set but then he would (say so himself).

The others all have their merits….saw Carl Craig last year playing a 2 hour set at Bestival, was excellent.

For the record, seen all of the listed apart from drexciya, some time ago, but still some of the best sets i've heard…

hora
    Free Member

Chicane Offshore

aphex_2k
    Free Member

BlingBling – Member

aphex if you're going that fast you might as well be playing Gabba

Hmm.. Full blast with gabba track on for three minutes…. GO! That would be a mean spin class!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I'm reminiscing about the mad, mad nights at Atomic Jam at the Que Club in Brum. My mate used to VJ there so I could get on stage. Spent many nights watching DJ Rush, Carl Cox, Dave Clarke, Liberators. 🙄

theflatboy
    Free Member

Futureboy – Member
    Having seen and heard Sasha many, many times from around 92/93 to 2005, there is no way that he could be considered as Trance.

all this recent talk of high calibre dance music got me to dig out my old sasha ibiza cd, an all time favourite. i expect you'd be interested to read the liner notes, including this gem, including a quote from the man (like) himself:

You'll find the finest moments from those two sets on these two CDs.
    Sasha's triumphant Space carnival is a multi-coloured mix painted with
    brush strokes of spacey deep house, sleek trance, whirring breakbeat
    and chic, nasty numbers that bang their way into a five star trance
    mania. "It's got an up flavour, a Summer flavour," Sasha explains
    later, back in the UK. "It really is a set. The first CD is deep,
    melodic house and builds up into a trance fest. The second side is
    darker. It pretty much sums up what I do as a DJ."

sums it up nicely, i'd say. 🙂

Nick

I'm saying nothing 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Best trance to train to’ is closed to new replies.