Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Best trail centre "out there" red routes . Your recommendations please.
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

In no particular order, I like these as they’re my level of technical ability and the trails have a level of remoteness that is lacking on others. Most are about 2-3hrs in duration too. Longer is good.

Penmachno
    Red route, Glentress.
    The Skyline, Afan

To a lesser extent, Dalby Forest’s Red route.

Not having visited every trail centre, what else would you recommend based on the list above?

pinches
    Free Member

Inners is a great red loop where you can pick the black sections that appear on the way round.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Golspie? I love the red section there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brechfa is in with a shout, IMO.

qcamel
    Free Member

Laggan Wolftracks

Bunnyhop

Laggan,
    however I thought Golspie was quite a tough 'red'.

'V' graphics have 'mountain bking trail centres the guide'. A comprehensive guide to all the graded trails, facilities and where they are situated in Britain.

karnali
    Free Member

borrowdale bash – north lakes trail centre

backhander
    Free Member

I don't think much of the brechfa red. forest road after forest road after forest road. Very little bang for buck IMO.
    Does W2 count? Now that I like.

convert

2nd Golspie. Only problem is that it is looong way from most folks and the red is not that long which for me at least means the self generated pressure to crap myself by adding on the notorius black. Good for the sole I guess & one day I'll clear it all.

dasnut
    Free Member

'V' graphics have 'mountain bking trail centres the guide'. A comprehensive guide to all the graded trails, facilities and where they are situated in Britain.

and the picture on page 69, for stainburn, is me 😀

and isn't golspie miles away from anywhere?

I could fly to the alps quicker than getting there, now you are talking "reds" 😀

Carpediem
    Free Member

I've only ridden Afan so cant comment otherwise.Skyline is a great route, but too much fire road to be called a great Red Route.White's level on the other hand,is the bee's knees.A good slog up single track,and its 100% fun all the way back to the Drop off . . .

doug_basqueMTB.com

Golspie is a 'bit north'! I don't think that it's a very tough red though, it's quite smooth and there's very clear lines round all the drops and stuff. It's worth the drive now though because there's plenty of riding to do up there to make up a longer trip.

Zoolander
    Free Member

For me
    1 penmachno – it's just awesome
    2 whites level – fun from start to finish
    3 skyline- if only for the last descent

also liked tawr trail at cyb . Can't say I think much to brechfa either though seemed like a lot of fire road climbing for very little downhill action. The last section on the red was good but can't say I'd go back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Laggaon. Some of the views especially from the top of the new red / black are like being right out in the mountains.

GT red remote?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Skyline a proper 'out there' route.

jonb
    Free Member

Kielder! (and Newcastleton)

On their own none of the Reds are on a par with the likes of Glentress but the fact that you can now sling together a really long ride doing Lonesome pine, Bloodybush, Newcastleton and Deadwater makes them one of my favourites of late.

Not jumpy and bermy but has the feel of a really good day out in the hills with some quality natural riding. I like long rides though so I'm biased. I get frustrated at going to trail centres and only finding very short loops when I want a days riding.

Failing that, Glentress is popular for a reason and you can mix it up with black and red to make a proper day of it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I like Penmachno and the Marin myself

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I'd say Innerleithen Red Route is a lot remoter feeling then Glentress. It comes up out of the trees and over the hill top which is fun. I think Glentress has more variety on it's red route for sure but parts of Innerleithen are more technical especially on the ascent.

anc
    Free Member

kirroughtree for me, although the best stuff is supposedly graded black… But its not really 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Ti29er – Member
    In no particular order, I like these as they’re my level of technical ability and the trails have a level of remoteness that is lacking on others. Most are about 2-3hrs in duration too. Longer is good.

Penmachno
    Red route, Glentress.
    The Skyline, Afan

Seriously?

Ae has a more remote feel to it as it's one big loop with no real shortcuts. Even Kirroughtree, which is a more technical trail, runs largely parallel to a main road.

IA

Kirroughtree or Penmachno are tied for top place IMO.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Inners for me

dmiller
    Free Member

If i'm riding on my own its glentress. A lap of the red and then a lap of the blue. However if i'm riding with mates its lagan. For some reason i just don't enjoy lagan on my own, it needs mates. However the red i can't wait to do again is nevis. I'm excited even thinking about it! I loved it! 🙂

fackit
    Free Member

Marin, Penmachno , Whinlatter in no particular order…

Northwind

Glentress is about as remote as my local tesco :mrgreen: I went there once, stopped for a wee rest in the shelter at the skills loop and honest to god, heard someone say "It's so good to be out here in the wilderness". Yes, here you are, on a TREE FARM, looking directly at Peebles which is, oh, 20 minutes walk away, and 20 feet from where you are is a fire road. The last great wilderness indeed.

Innerleithen's really no different, it's harder sure but you're still right on top of the town.

Now, Nevis Red… You have to drive or get a train to the middle of nowhere, and from there you travel 6 miles out of the middle of nowhere, and then you can't get any further by any means other than a cable car or helicopter, and only then have you arrived 🙂 Now that's aloof.

Bunnyhop

doug_MTB.com – I could understand why you would find 'Golspie' fairly easy, you are afterall, a seasoned mtb guide. I however am a wuss, once/twice a week rider, who is off the bike months at a time and spends the rest of the year trying to gain confidence and build up fitness again 🙂

My all time favourite is Penmachno.

allyharp

My favourite trail centre experience is probably Laggan – but after this weekend I'm a big fan of CwmCarm and Penhydd also.

For wilderness Laggan is definitely the best of those three. Learnie is another which was very very quiet when I was there, but doesn't quite have the same 'out in the hills' feeling as Laggan.

I'm not particularly overawed with Glentress, I think I prefer Ae (the only other Stane I've done)

But to be honest, if you like being out in the wilderness go and do it properly. Leave the trial centres to the kids 😉

Ambrose

Why limit yourself to trailcentres? If you like the 'out there' feel then you need to get away from where everybody else is.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was going to say Nant Yr Arian, but then I saw the Syfydrin is graded black.

So I'll second Ae as feeling more 'out there' than most trail centre red routes.

Funny question though? Why just red routes?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Best & Trail centre should never be seen in the same sentence.

AlasdairMc

Golspie is phenomenal, but nothing beats a decent wilderness loop in terms of overall satisfaction.

Inners red is far better than GT, it's a far more technical route and hasn't gone the sanitised way that GT has.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

In Wales nant y Arian summit trail is still my fav red trail. It's not hard it's just good

sambob
    Free Member

of all of them ive done, betwys y coed was my favourite then llandegla. HAVE to do nevis red this year though 🙂

Trekster

mcmoonter – Member
    Best & Trail centre should never be seen in the same sentence.

A***

0range5

I've not ridden everything, but Kirroughtree is one of my favourites. Dalby, Dalbeattie, Ae, Marin, Nant-yr-Arian are also great (no particular order)

But yes, try some wild routes as well! Get to the top of a proper mountain!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Bunnygirl, sorry I wasn't meaning to come over all 'it's easy for me'! It was more based on the fact that there's nothing that's not easily avoidable on the red and that, for the most part, the trail is quite smooth and at a nice gradient. Having said that, if you take on all the obstacles then that's true that it's quite tough. For me, the Laggan red for example would be a bit tougher because there's a lot of rocks which you can't avoid easily.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Some good suggestions here & ones I'll look up in more detail.
    Of the riding I've done thus far, I much prefer the trail centres TBH, hence the rather specific question, although I have enjoyed the Meridas (2 rides this w/end if my R knee allows me).

I'm riding the centres one by one as I get around to them, although I do seem to have ridden some more than others, losing my mtn bike virginity in Cannock a few years back, through several trips to CDB & Dalby, & latterly Afan.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'm not particularly taken with any of the Welsh trail centre red loops- too much "traverse" style trails and the DHs are always a lot less fun than they ought to be- less flow, less technical, less gradient.

For me it's-

1- Golspie
    2- Dalbeattie
    3- Kirroughtree

I don't think the Laggan red is exceptional, although the Black is the absolute best trail centre trail there is, and I'm very excited about Fort Bill red. Afan is also good.

Worst are Ae and Mabie by a long way, though. Not a massive fan of the Marin or Coed-Y trails either.

scotabroad

OP – if you like Penmachno then you will certainly like Kirroughtree IMO.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Looks like a long weekend in Scotland might have to be arranged! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Best trail centre "out there" red routes . Your recommendations please.’ is closed to new replies.